Syslog and New Switch

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
I got a switch in the mail yesterday from muddocktor ...if this is what I need to get up and going I should be back online with SM30 this weekend.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Sweet!!!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I hope it's easy to figure out. If it looks too complicated I'll take a pic of it and post it. I guess I'll have to dload drivers for it which is cool. I haven't even opened the box yet.

Sorry about the slacking lately guys I intend to get this thing up and running this weekend. Thanks to Mudd also!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    What brand switch is it? I never heard of switches needing drivers. You plug in cables and that's it.
  • edited November 2006
    Chris, I can't believe it took Parcel Post 2 days to move that package 30 miles. I went to the PO about 11:00 AM on Monday before coming back to work.

As far as setting it up on your cable modem, you can use your Opteron rig as the primary connection to the cable modem and then connect the hub to a second lan connection in the Opteron rig (or connect the cable modem with a USB cable and use just 1 lan connection). Then, enable ICS on the lan connection that is connected to the hub and you will be good to go. That's basically the same setup I had to use to get my farm up on the old sat broadband connection before I upgraded to the newer modem box about 4 months ago. ICS will take care of assigning the private IP addresses for any other rigs you want to put online simply by just plugging into the usused ports on that old hub. That is one thing I never had problems with on either Windows 2000 Pro or WinXP (ICS that is).

Kwitco, it's a 5 port Linksys hub. It needs no drivers whatsoever, just plug n play.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Is nobody a fan of the syslog / team smx status page / email auto notify ? :sad2:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'm a fan, but I'm not sure how to set that sort of thing up in Gentoo.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Another fan here. :woowoo:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Chris, I can't believe it took Parcel Post 2 days to move that package 30 miles. I went to the PO about 11:00 AM on Monday before coming back to work.

As far as setting it up on your cable modem, you can use your Opteron rig as the primary connection to the cable modem and then connect the hub to a second lan connection in the Opteron rig (or connect the cable modem with a USB cable and use just 1 lan connection). Then, enable ICS on the lan connection that is connected to the hub and you will be good to go. That's basically the same setup I had to use to get my farm up on the old sat broadband connection before I upgraded to the newer modem box about 4 months ago. ICS will take care of assigning the private IP addresses for any other rigs you want to put online simply by just plugging into the usused ports on that old hub. That is one thing I never had problems with on either Windows 2000 Pro or WinXP (ICS that is).

Kwitco, it's a 5 port Linksys hub. It needs no drivers whatsoever, just plug n play.

Cool ...well I'm pretty caught up on the night work tonight I make have to check it out. I like Linksys!
    edited November 2006
    Well if we want to enable syslog stuff, I think we need prime's help.

But there are plenty of free clients that can report logs per process, or even pick apart the specific things we want out of F@H logs. Then using something like this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/msyslog/

at a static server we can filter individuals logs adn through the info we need in a mysql db, and then make a website that pulls data from it.

It would be a bit of a project that would require some knowhow and some technical writing to tell users how to setup clients on their boxes for windows or linux or whatever.

So if anyone is up to the challenge, I think it would be a very cool thing to have and would help avoid this type of thread in the future.

Quick question: How does one get a Team93 badge?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    ...Quick question: How does one get a Team93 badge?
    Look under Edit Profile in your User CP. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Maybe we need a new thread for that project.
    edited November 2006
    CB Droege wrote:
    Maybe we need a new thread for that project.

True.