Point of no return?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I ran memtest off of UBCD not floppy . . does that have any signifigance? sorry, i should of given more info.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    The reason I mentioned it is that many computers these days don't even have a floppy drive. With those that do, lots of people don't have any blank floppy disks handy.

You can follow the same instructions as above, just go for the bootable CD version if that's easier. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Ok. Thanks for your help tonight. I am going to call it a night, and attempt the format tomorrow. I want to double check that I have all the files off that she needs.

I will, most likely be asking more questions tomorrow as I proceed. Thanks for spending some time with me here. I am actually quite impressed with all that I have learend in such a small amount of time.
  • edited November 2006
    Next question:

Would it be beneficial at this point to take my GOOD HD out of my computer and install it in the BAD tower to see if it boots? That way I can emlinate a possbile (other then drive) hardware problem?
    edited November 2006
    Next question:

Would it be beneficial at this point to take my GOOD HD out of my computer and install it in the BAD tower to see if it boots? That way I can emlinate a possbile (other then drive) hardware problem?
    No! Your current copy of Windows (on the good machine) would immediately detect tons of "new" hardware in the bad machine, giving you a royal mess to sort out when you returned the drive to its original computer.

Any luck with the Bootdisk suggestion?
  • edited November 2006
    I went to the site and paid for the bootcd, (at $4.00, if I get this pc running again . . is the best $4.00 I ever spent lol).

I did that this morning before I left for work. I downloaded it and created the bootcd. I will not be able to attempt to use it for a few more hours, as I am at work now. But, my fingers are crossed.

The good news is, I have backed up the needed files. So, even in the event that there are more hardware problems, all is not lost. I would not have gotten even this far without this forum.

I am hoping the format will proceed and will cure the problem completely. When I boot the computer now, I get the windows screen, and then it goes to the black screen asking me to select (normal, safe, last good, etc). After that, all hell breaks loose. My gut instict (which can be totally off base lol), says that since I at least get this far, that the other Hardware is ok. But, I really don't know what is involved and what else could go wrong.

It is my hope that if there was another hardware issue (other then the HD), that windows would not have gotten that far in attempting to boot. But, its just a hunch.

As soon as I get home, I will be attempting the BootCd - I will post again and let you know how that goes.
    edited November 2006
    Sorry about the four bucks. :(

They used to be free, then about a year ago started charging for them. There was so much squawking about it that they went back to a donation-only basis. I didn't know that they had returned to pay-only.

I firmly believe in supporting sites that provide a good service, even (or maybe especially) if they are freeware. But, in a case like this, they ought to let you try before you buy. There are ways of making your own bootdisks which are quite legal and totally free; I provided the link just for the sake of convenience.

At any rate, if you can get this all wrapped up I will agree that four dollars will look like a bargain. :)
  • edited November 2006
    Ok, I am back.

All the files were backed up.

Now, I have booted of the bootcd, and I get a menu. I select the default option (1) that states it works 98% of the time

It then prompts me with A:\>

I opened the README file and found it confusing, and i dont see that it states clearly how to format the drive.

I first tried to do chkdsk c:

And It says "Invalid drive specification"

Am in in trouble here????

Shouldn't I be able to access the c: drive?
    edited November 2006
    Try this command:

aefisk /delall

Note that there is a space after aefisk
  • edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Try this command:

aefisk /delall

Note that there is a space after aefisk

Bad command or file name
    edited November 2006
    Try typing dir and the hit Enter. This should show you the contents of the disc, see if you can find a format command.

I'm handicapped by not having a copy of the disc or I would boot it up myself and see if I could give more detailed instructions. What is the total size of all the files on the disc?
  • edited November 2006
    Ok, it boots and gives me A: (CD drive)

I type dir, and get 28 files 813,276

FORMAT is a command. The problem is it does not allow me to do Format c:

Invalid drive specification

I know we said this is not best, but would it be easier at this point to put it back in the good computer and right click the D and format that way?

BTW, when I re-installed the drive in the original (bad computer) the one cable (with the short 6 prongs) had 3 connecors (labeled 2, 3, 4) I could not remember what number was the original. Does it matter>?
    edited November 2006
    Ok, it boots and gives me A: (CD drive)

I type dir, and get 28 files 813,276

FORMAT is a command. The problem is it does not allow me to do Format c:

Invalid drive specification
    First off, make sure the drive is being properly identified in the BIOS. If that's not right you won't get anywhere. You hopefully will see something flash by on the screen during the boot process showing the list of hard drives. If you've ever wondered what good the Pause key is on the keyboard, one thing it's good for is to stop the screen during bootup so you can read the stuff that often goes by too fast to read properly.

It could also be assigning the hard drive a different letter. Try typing in the next few drive letters in this format...

D:\
    E:\

...etc, hitting Enter each time, then see if it accepts the command. If it does, try the dir command (which means to least the directories on the drive) and see if you can identify anything which indicates that you've found the right drive letter.
    I know we said this is not best, but would it be easier at this point to put it back in the good computer and right click the D and format that way?
    That ought to work.
    BTW, when I re-installed the drive in the original (bad computer) the one cable (with the short 6 prongs) had 3 connectors (labeled 2, 3, 4) I could not remember what number was the original. Does it matter>?
    Do you mean the four-pin power connector? If that's the one you're referring to it doesn't matter at all. Gateway likes to put little numbers on things which are completely interchangeable, for some reason known only to them. :vimp:
  • edited November 2006
    wow, catching that screen on the pause button took about 30 tires lol.

but well, this is odd:

Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor, 2.40 GHz

2555MB System RAM

Legacy Keyboard. . . Detected
    USB Legacy. . . . . . .Enabled

fixed Disk 0: Maxtor 2F0400
    (Ultra DMA Mode ATA/100)

ATAPI CD-ROM HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-43

IS that the drive it is listing ?? Can a drive be zero? does that signify a problem?
  • edited November 2006
    Update:

I installed the bad drive back in the good computer. going to "my computer", I right clicked the slave drive (D) and selected format. It went well (phewww).

I moved the bad drive back to the bad computer. Then booted of the Gateway O/S dics. Selected install and . . . for the very first time, got past the BSOD. Installation has begun. I am finally taking a deep breath. All is startint to look good.

Thank you soo much. It's amazing that someone would be so patient with me and walk me through this, spending so much of their time to help me.

I have already passed this site on to 6 of my friends.

I will post back tomorrow to give the official thumbs up, if everything goes as well as it is appearing to go now.

Thanks a million
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Installation has begun. I am finally taking a deep breath. All is startint to look good.
    That exact same sequence of events and feeling I've experienced too many times for me to admit!

You are in good company. Stick around, Ringo. We'll make an expert out of you yet! Don't believe me? I'm not joking. :)
    edited November 2006
    ...IS that the drive it is listing ?? Can a drive be zero? does that signify a problem?
    That's one of those computer oddities - numbering often starts with 0, which is normal.

Good to hear that you're on your way. :clap:
  • edited November 2006
    Last night, I finished the windows install, on the bad computer, around 2am. I removed the O/S. . shut down the computer and rebooted . . .

All is well. Windows booted. . . I have a fresh install. I think I fell asleep with a grin from ear to ear.

Prof, I can't thank you enough. Not too many "volunteers" would have stayed with me for so long on this one. It is my hope that people may scan through this thread and get a true feeling for the great service this site provides.

I literally knew NOTHING about the hardware of computers. Now, I can remove a problem drive, perform data recovery, format the drive, reinstall and give it a fresh start with windows.

For me, that was a great accomplishment in 2 days, having no previous skills. Before this, we literally would have thrown this computer out and been forced to buy a new one, loosing all the saved documents and photos.

Thank you!:Rocker:
    edited November 2006
    You're quite welcome. :cheers:

Please consider sticking around. Like Leonardo said, most of our "Experts" here started out just like you - they were in a jam and with a little help managed to get it worked out. You've obviously proven yourself to be a fast learner, so I'd bet there is no limit to how much knowledge you can pick up. :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Prof is a champ, and we couldn't ask for a better student, Ringo. You did the work admirably, and rather than getting frustrated, you followed the directions and did an excellent job. :) Good on ya!

Stick around, sir. We'd love to keep you.
  • edited November 2006
    I am still amazed at the great amount of support here on this site. I keep brwosing and learning more and more. I may be silent for a bit, as I scan and learn. But I am certain you will hear my cries for help down the road again.

It strange, but I almst can't wait to be stumped again. This was educational and FUN.