Looking at upgrade parts, need a bit of advice.

edited November 2006 in Hardware
Greetings. I was just looking for some input on these components I was planning on purchasing very soon.

Heatsink: Scythe NINJA PLUS

CPU: INTEL E6600 Core 2 Duo OEM

RAM: OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800MHz / Titanium XTC / EPP-Ready Edition / Dual Channel

Motherboard: EVGA NF680i Motherboard

And I am going to get a nice Hiper PowerSupply along with all of that (530watts). Now, I was just looking for some input. Furthmore, should I hold off entill Asus releases the Stryker motherboard? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Yay! Another HiPer fan!

For your HSF, I would actually recommend a Thermalright Ultra-120. It runs a few degrees cooler, and looks really good.

I would wait another month on the 680i, though. A few manufacturers (Like Asus) will be releasing non-reference 680i boards soon, and they could be real doozies.
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks Thrax. I think I can hold off a little while longer here. And that Thermaltake Ultra-120 runs for a few more bones than the Scyth Ninja. And the performance difference doesn't seem much different, either. From what I can tell, anyway.
  • edited November 2006
    Newegg has listings for 2 680i boards, the P5N32-E SLI and the Striker. Both are out of stock, but the P5N is showing an arrival date of 11/20. The Striker isn't showing any dates on when Newegg will receive more. But the prices for these boards are rediculous. $300 for the P5N and over $400 for the Striker. No way I am going to pay that damn much for the boards, either one.

EDIT: Dodger, one thing I have read is that the U-120 and Tuniq Tower both are easier to mount than the Ninja. I have a Ninja and it's a bit of a PITA to mount in the case. Spend the extra bones and buy the U-120 or Tuniq Tower 120.
  • edited November 2006
    409.99 is WAY too much for a motherboard, if you ask me. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from the eVGA board. Quite frankly I don't wanna sit around waitng for prices to drop on the Striker. How does that Tuniq Tower compare to the Thermalright Ultra-120 and Scyth Ninja? Unfortunently, Newegg is out of both the U-120 and Tuniq, with no ETA on the Tuniq..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I am very intrigued by the Tuniq, but have no experience with one. I am though, a huge fan of the Thermaltake Typhoon. It will cool the CPU as well as the Scythe, but will also cool motherboard components surrounding the CPU socket.
  • edited November 2006
    That Typhoon doesn't look half bad. Less expensive, but from I hear is a pain to install. But if it cools as well as you say it does (plus other components around it) I may just sring for that. I'm not a complete uber noob when it comes to installing hardware, afterall.
    edited November 2006
    Please don't discount the Tuniq or 120. I've no experience with either of them, but they supposedly are excellent. The Typhoon is a pain to install, but no more difficult in my opinion than other units that require a support plate on the back of the motherboard.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited November 2006
    Ive got the Hiper 580W and love it!!!
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    The EVGA NF680i Motherboard will be OK if you don't want to run SLI, but if you do want to run SLI, don't even think about a 680 mobo until they rectify the screech that comes from the speakers, with either onboard or Sound Card.

Thread is here and nVidia has recreated the problem.

Datsun 1600
  • edited November 2006
    I'm going to be in a single card for a good long while. So, I won't have to worry about this screeching problem. Also, I guess it comes down between the Tuniq, the Ultra-120, and the Typhoon. I'm not in a major rush to purchase all of this but man this isn't easy...
    edited November 2006
    it comes down between the Tuniq, the Ultra-120, and the Typhoon
    You would be happy with any one of those three. They are all top notch.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    EDIT: Dodger, one thing I have read is that the U-120 and Tuniq Tower both are easier to mount than the Ninja. I have a Ninja and it's a bit of a PITA to mount in the case. Spend the extra bones and buy the U-120 or Tuniq Tower 120.
    I can vouch for this! I must admit it is easier than the new zalman NB sink I just installed though! :rockon:
  • edited November 2006
    Dodger wrote:
    I'm going to be in a single card for a good long while. So, I won't have to worry about this screeching problem. Also, I guess it comes down between the Tuniq, the Ultra-120, and the Typhoon. I'm not in a major rush to purchase all of this but man this isn't easy...

Good, hold off on buying for a few weeks then. There should be something for you to read in a couple of weeks here. ;):D