Have no OPTIONS at logon in XP Pro

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have an incredibly frustrating problem. When I boot an XP Pro machine, at the Classic logon screen, I don't have any options to choose either a domain, or local computer to log into. I had this machine on a domain at work, and we had to move this staff member to a different domain. I removed it from the original domain. I did this by changing it from a domain machine to a workgroup machine. My next step was to join it to the new domain at the new venue. But when I booted the machine up, none of the usernames and passwords that had previously worked for the local machine would let me in! :eek: THIS MACHINE HAS A LOT A VALUABLE INFO ON IT! HELP!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Can you reconnect it to it's original domain at work and see what options it gives you then? (Excuse my ignorance if it was a silly suggestion. I do well at hardware, but networking is not my strong suit.)
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, I thought that might be the next best step. I did that last thing Friday arvo, but still no joy. The lack of choices makes me think that it's trying to logon using the local SAM (security manager using local usernames and passwords), but the fact that it comes back and says thta the username and password doesn't exist on the network makes me think that it's stuck somewhere in between domain logon and local logon?? I wonder if DNS might be a factor. If the DNS is wrong, the pc won't find the domain controller on the network. But how do I access these options when I can't even logon locally?
  • edited November 2006
    Alas, no joy whatsoever. I booted into a linux live CD, backed up the data to a server, and I'm planning on doing a fresh install. Thanks anyway...