I get no display from the motherboard

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have had this HP for a long time, and I came to upgrade my memory and now everytime I turn on my pc I have no video display and the hp light turns on orange and doesn't do anything, it even does that when I put the old memory in there, can you help me?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    If you remove the new memory, and just use the old, do you get your normal display on the monitor?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Tarekium wrote:
    I turn on my pc I have no video display....it even does that when I put the old memory in there, can you help me?
  • edited November 2006
    NO Display, I have tried almost everything possible, I removed everything then put it back the way it was, nothing. I have constacted HP online help, they told me it is probably your memory slots got damaged, I don't know if that is fixable or what. I don't even know how they got damaged, I only worked on it when there was no power going through it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Tarekium, there should be a cell battery on the motherboard, it'll look like a silver disc approximately the size of a quarter. It'll be held down by a silver tab of sorts -- get that battery out of there and put it in the bottom of your case for about ten minutes.

Next, you're going to look for a small plastic tab, it's typically blue, white, yellow or black. It's going to be sitting on two metal pins aligned in a row, with a third one that's not covered by the tab right next to it. There will be white writing on the board labelled "CLR CMOS," "RTC CLR," "CLR BIOS" or something similar. Move that plastic tab from the two pins it's currently sitting to the pin it is NOT covering, and the one pin in the middle, so you'll go from this:
    []

To...
    []

Wait about 10 minutes, then move the tab back to its original position, put the battery in, and try starting the PC.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2006
    Is the monitor completely blank? does it show a no signal message, does it have a flashing or steady light?

When you put the memory in and out you may have knocked the video card - i know some of the motherboards put them very close together.
    Try these one at a time!
    Check the Video card is seated properly.
    Try another video card - this will tell you if the existing card has a problem,
    Check the monitor on a different computer

Once you have the monitor viewing what is happenning we will be able to tell what is happenning to the hard drive
  • edited November 2006
    I have tried taking the battery out, but I don't have any jumpers on my mobo, and I know the monitor, hard drive, video card, and memory still work, I am scared that I fried the mobo, I do appreciate any input on this, thank you for trying
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2006
    Tarekium wrote:
    I have tried taking the battery out, but I don't have any jumpers on my mobo, and I know the monitor, hard drive, video card, and memory still work, I am scared that I fried the mobo, I do appreciate any input on this, thank you for trying

I am sure you are right, but just in case - how do you KNOW the monitor and video card still work - especially the video card?