Who's going to buy Vista?

edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
I must say, after I heard the distressing news about the Vista EULA only allowing one device transfer, I was off the Vista upgrade bus, but since Microsoft updated the EULA to allow the OS to be moved to another device indefinitely, I'm back on board.

I'll probably get one copy for my main system and leave my other three computers on Win XP Pro.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Will not be getting Vista until ICT, HDCP and WGA are broken.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I think I'll buy at least 10 copies of the Ultimate version.

After all, Microsoft needs the money to finally bury Linux once and for all :smiles:

:p:tongue:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2006
    I'll likely be picking up a full retail version.. unfortunately, OEM is not feasable due to the number of upgrades I do.

I'm undecided upon the edition I'll be buying--too much choice now. Vista Basic would be perfect for me as I'd use very few of the features offered by the other editions. It just bothers me that they could not include the Aero interface in the basic version :thumbsdow Then again, the Windows classic theme has been my theme for years so maybe basic would still be best :)

I have a feeling Home Premium will be the most popular edition among the masses. I have little use for the media center features so I'm actually leaning more towards the Business edition.

I'd be curious to hear what edition everyone is planning to get if you do indeed plan to upgrade to/purchase vista.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The only reason I upgraded to XP (from 2K) was I needed to use Remote Desktop, and this was 2 years after XP was released. My upgrade would probably be after the first service pack, and I'm seriously considering making a permanent move to Ubuntu or OSX (I recently bought a Mac mini... it rocks). Really... I need Windows for Winamp (still my favorite music player) and the occasional games of Starcraft and Half Life. Honestly, OSX has more killer apps at this point IMHO.
  • edited November 2006
    I'll get Home Premium as soon as I need to, which will be pretty soon after release as I'll need to be able to support customers with it. I'll be able to get it for less than $99 from my school, so it's not such a bad price.

Besides, Alan Wake will require it among many other games.
    Thrax wrote:
    Will not be getting Vista until ICT, HDCP and WGA are broken.

I thought you were sent Ultimate for free?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'll probably upgrade one of the home computers next summer. I'm in no rush. I waited a while for XP too. I actually had a pretty good handle on Win98 and ran it very securely and reliably. To me, WinXP just seemed like an excess. Once I switched though, it seemed almost like a new world compared to '98. Wonder if the switch from XP to Vista will feel the same? Being the weeny that I am though, I'll wait for the bold and the brave to work the kinks out of the new OS before I adopt it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I'll get Home Premium as soon as I need to, which will be pretty soon after release as I'll need to be able to support customers with it. I'll be able to get it for less than $99 from my school, so it's not such a bad price.

Besides, Alan Wake will require it among many other games.

I thought you were sent Ultimate for free?

Just the the v6000 pre-RTM copy. It expires in a few months, and I don't really want it anyways.
  • edited November 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    I'd be curious to hear what edition everyone is planning to get if you do indeed plan to upgrade to/purchase vista.
    Ultimate. Mind as well get it all in case I want to play with various features.
    Daxx
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited November 2006
    I'll probably get it. That's mainly because people will start getting it with their PCs and laptops and they'll start plugging into the domain as soon as next year- and guess who helps with support. Nice to know what you're dealing with. Maybe they'll give me free copy as a kickback for the services I volunteer.

Still, it's a new learning curve I never seem to have time for.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'm probably going to get it for my home system, but I'll get the business edition because I use remote desktop daily to do things with my other 2 home systems. I was in there from the beginning with xp, but I'm not in any rush to get going on it this time. I have (or will have tomorrow) a card that was designed for dx 10, so that will help, but until there's mass support for vista or a game that runs on dx10/vista only, I'll be waiting a couple of months.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited November 2006
    The only reason I upgraded to XP (from 2K) was I needed to use Remote Desktop
    DanG wrote:
    ...I'll get the business edition because I use remote desktop daily to do things with my other 2 home systems.

You guys ever use VNC? I have Pro on my laptop, and it works a little better than VNC...but on the other two I just have Home + VNC. RD is not $100 better than VNC...IMHO.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I am still running w2k. I will probably go to XP on my wife's machine. I am in no rush. I want to see the bug fixes and app revisions first.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I can't imagine what Vista will do for me that XP Home can't do. I'll look at it in Comp USA on their display computers but have no plans to get it myself.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Not sure exactly when I'll get it but I will sure get it sooner or later. Probably more sooner than later though.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    i wont get it unless my university gives it out
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'll hold off on it just like I did XP for a few years. Until I either find a real need for it or I get it for free from school somehow I'm gonna stay with XP Pro.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'l get it eventually. My test lab at home will need as my employer is already talking about upgrading to it (bleeding edge or what..?!) :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to say I'll get it in a couple years as well, but being in support industry I'll probably pick it up ASAP so I cam get used to helping people solve their connection issues. But I really don't like it as it is currently with the UI... it's pretty, but that's all it has going for it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    ... it's pretty, but that's all it has going for it.
    My ignorance would cause me to believe the same. There were compelling reasons to transition from Win98 to XP, one big reason being the clear superiority of the NTFS file system to FAT. For consumer level computing, are there any significant superiorities of Vista over XP? This is not rhetorical. I really don't know.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    From what I have worked with so far on Vista it's gonna be easy to use until you come across a problem, the general user as it stands with XP doesn't know how to even get into the control panel, and Vista is changing it up so many people are going to be confused. Thus why I now feel I am going to have to get into Vista before my company starts taking a mass of calls saying something is wrong on our end and having a hard time working with these people because they have Vista.

This is my fear, but one I think happens with every release of a new OS.

BTW it's been said many times already that the main things that Vista had going for it, like the new file system and such have been taken out of the initial release. All I have seen from this Vista is a new version of XP. As Thrax I think it was has said, it's XP SP3.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    I might eventually purchase an Ultimate copy, as I have tried the RC-1 with 4Gig of RAM and was not impressed by the amount of RAM, set aside for the OS to use.

Now that F@H has an SMP client for Linux 64bit and OS-X, a Linux Distro is now becoming something I will learn, very shortly.

Datsun 1600
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    For consumer level computing, are there any significant superiorities of Vista over XP?

For the average consumer at Short Media, probably not. But for the average consumer I see who downloads and installs most anything that warns them about some problem in their computer I say yes. Some of my clients are really bright people in their own area, but they just don't get this computer stuff. They need all the security stuff like authenticating as an admin to install a program.

We needed XP SP2 to get everyone to use a firewall and anti-v. And I think after a few years of migrating to Vista, the Windows forest will be better protected.

I'm not saying this to make me feel smarter. I just see it every day. The average guy doesn't get this stuff at all and he needs all the security "hand holding" that Vista brings.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I will have a few version on my backup PC's for tech help but will make the move once more Dx10 PC games roll out. I have to give my 8800's the OS they were made for :)
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, I have to agree. DX10 is most likely going to be my breaking point as well. Gaming is important, and I'd hate to fall behind too far. However, I'm not all that excited about Vista and I think it's going to be a bit before it's time. I work in computers and I can't name one customer that will be able to run it on their current pc.