Best computer for cheap price

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I want to get a computer for christmas, but my mom said she can only spend like 300 to 400$ on us, and i might be able to talk her into more....... but not much

So i went to dell.com and they had the computers starting at 300+ , they completely sucked, didnt come with speakers or a monitor, when i added everything i wanted it was over 600$

I want a computer, that has a good amount of ram 1gb to 2 gb, doesnt have to have a big hdd because i have a bran new 250gb one here, i want it to have graphics good enough to run most games, but they dont have to be that good...... speakers......... and a monitor (flat screen, 15" or 17") . and i want one thats gonna have the capabality of a lot of upgrades, like if i want to buy a really good fraphics card in the future it will take it......... stuff like that.....

I need it to be good, but not to good, Can run most games, and is an average, yet not crappy computer

can anyone help me find something like this for a cheap price?

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited November 2006
    Build it yourself, just pick out the parts and tell your mom what you want.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Check out the 'big box' stores - Office Max, Office Depot, BestBuy, Wal-Mart, and so forth. Huge day-after Thanksgiving sales today. Thrax was remarking in another thread that BB was selling a sub-$400 computer today.

Frankly, you'll be very hard put to find a decent computer with monitor, keyboard, and speakers for under $400, but it's worth looking. Consider also advertising at Short-Media's Deal Depot and Trading Post.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The problem is you're going to drop half that ($200) on a good 15" LCD monitor. :-/Dell has good ones.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    yah man, if your looking for something nice your probley gunna end up spending a bit more than 3-4 hundred if your needing a monitor too. Check out the for sale thread here and on hard ocp, you can usually find good deals.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    check out the trading post if you don't see something
    ask. can't hurt to ask there
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    A move and a bump so it shows on Hot Threads.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Is upgrading a possibility,or are you EOL on your current set-up?

Do you have an OS, or is that coming out of the budget also?