Neeed to make some CHEAP computer cases - like cardboard cheap!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
I have 2 motherboards coming in to build into folding computers. One is an Abit NF7, the other is a Tyan S2462 Dual Socket A. I must be out of my mind, as this is the last thing I should be spending money on right now.:wow2:

So instead of spending $50 on 2 cheap cases from tigerdirect.com , I was thinking of using some cardboard boxes I have laying around as cases for the hardware.

I'm wondering about issues of electrical conductivity and static electricity.

Should I lay the motherboard on an antistatic bag in the cardboard box, or should I lay the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, which lays on an antistatic bag inside the cardboard box?

It is critical that the MB be grounded to the power supply itself, or is the wiring enough?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Its been done before, I dont think it is going to hurt it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Cardboard is non conductive as long as it is clean. You won't need an insulating buffer.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2006
    Your concern should be the fire retardent properties of cardboard. Ie: it doesn't have any. There shouldn't be any problem, but remember that cardboard is very flammable so putting electrical equipment in cardboard boxes isn't a brilliant idea as a long term solution.

also: linky don't think the pictures work anymore though :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Why bother with a case at all?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I have a dual CPU Athlon XP motherboard here. A Tyan S2462 and I was going to put it in a case I have, but it's too big for a standard ATX case. It measures 12" along the side with the input/output ports (keyboard, mouse, video, etc) and 12-1/2" the other way. So I was looking for a cheap way around that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Plywood.
  • edited November 2006
    Tim,

As noted above by deicist

Your concern should be the fire retardent properties of cardboard. Ie: it doesn't have any. There shouldn't be any problem, but remember that cardboard is very flammable so putting electrical equipment in cardboard boxes isn't a brilliant idea as a long term solution.

If you value your home, your apartment, the lives of other people that may get killed, injuried from a FIRE you need to re-consider using "cardboard".

Go down to your local fire department and ask them if they would give you the "OK" to do as you plan.... See if they are "cool" with such a plan ... (really)

Maybe take the completed "computer" down there and show them in person. Tell them you're going to be running it 24/7, 365 days a year unattended.

Tell them you don't mind it if catches fire, that you'd just call them to come have them put it out.

I'd like to hear what they say.

• edited November 2006
    PS: Also contact your insurance agent...

See if they are cool with putting computers in cardboard boxes in which if something does go wrong (overheat-short-out) that there is nothing to contain the fire.

BTW: Another reason for USING a computer case is sunspots causing data corruption... Last time I checked RAM should be protected, enclosed, shielded.

edited November 2006
    OK guys, I believe we've beat up on poor Tim enough now concerning the cardboard. Let's be more constructive. What are some other inexpensive alternatives.? Plywood was mentioned. It's also flammable, but it's flashpoint is a couple hundred degrees higher than cardboard's. Plywood can also be treated or painted to lower the hazard a little.
    edited November 2006
    Tim, you might want to hit up local schools, colleges, and businesses. Some of them keep stuff so long that there is no trade up for the parts with the OEMs like Dell when the computer life cycles are over. They often are happy for someone just to take the stuff.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    First off, do you need to put them in cases?

A milk crate and some zip ties could get you started, at least provide a decent framework.

Another place to look is the local transfer station/dump. My town just had an electronics day where you could drop off old monitors, tvs, etc. and I counted half a dozen old pc's in the pile.

Just some thoughts,
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I have two machines that fold that are just sitting on a table. I don't see the big neal.
    If you want them enclosed try looking for cheap plastic storage boxes at *Mart. Just use a razor knife to cut holes for fans and you are set up.

Tim, if you need to get rid of a machine let me know. I would buy the NF7 from you to fold with. I have a few already.
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    OK guys, I believe we've beat up on poor Tim enough now concerning the cardboard. Let's be more constructive. What are some other inexpensive alternatives.? Plywood was mentioned. It's also flammable, but it's flashpoint is a couple hundred degrees higher than cardboard's. Plywood can also be treated or painted to lower the hazard a little.

I would like to hear how the local fire department and his insurance agent responded to using cardboard of all things to enclose the systems in. FIRE is not something you mess with.

I've been on fire scenes and the fire always "wins". It's not something to be taken lightly, and its always something in peoples minds that "happens" to other people...until it happens to them.

Constructive ideas?

1:Local Thrift stores for OLD, huge computer cases
    2: Check with computer shops for same,
    3: Schools, businesses...

With # 1-thru 3 above explain that you are building folding computers... and they will probably give you want you what.

4: Heck garbage day is a good day to find old computers... People throw them out all the time.

For you guys that think I'm being hard, check with your local fire department and contact your insurance agent and ask them if they are going to cover you /Their feelings on the subject in case of fire if you have a system in a cardboard box, box made of flammable materials, or just sitting open not contained at all.

The only time you would want to do as such is when your testing a system to see if it will boot up, so as to not have to hassle with installing it in a case when testing. You being RIGHT there standing over it.... as a temp solution just to see if it will fire up (start)... Not a system running 24/7.

Another aspect for those that have "PETS" is cats and DOGS like to CHEW things... and last time I checked motherboards and powersupplies have allot of wires going to an fro. Exposed wiring is BAD in that respect I'm sure you would agree.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've used a cardboard box to house a system, never had a problem, nor a fire. You could try some pegboard if you don't want to use cardboard, cause I'm sure the holes would help you in mounting.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Wearenotalone - chill out, we heard you the first time.

All the rest:

I have a computer case I can put the NF7 in, it's just the Tyan S2462 that has special needs. Being a dual CPU Athlon MB, it's too big for regular cases.

Regular computer cases are thin steel and have no problems. If I could at least find an old computer case and modify it, that would do the job okay. I'd just have to cut out most of the frame that holds CD drives and hard drives. After that, it shouldn't be too hard to get a CD drive and hard drive in there somewhere. The CD only needs to be there to load an operating system, which would be Windows 2000 Pro in this case.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Tim

A while back I was looking for an in-expensive server case for a large board this was the best I could come up with.http://www.dealsonic.com/cod90cascaso1.html

I'm currently have a 12*13" board in it now. (K8D Master ft (IC-6 in case anybody's curious)) Maybe go caseless for a while and save your pennies.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Donut wrote:
    ...Maybe go caseless for a while and save your pennies.
    I've had as many as seven rigs running here like that and that's what I would do.

The ideas about getting a cheap plastic box or egg crate and using that sound like winners, too. :)