Dual Core Question

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I've read some places that the main point of dual core is for multiple running tasks. In the example used on this sites, it was burning a DVD and playing Doom III at the same time.

My question is, is it still a good thing to have if I was just playing Doom III? As in, I don't do much multi-tasking on the computer beside the typical firefox, AIM, and WoW running, so does it still make a big difference if I mainly just need it to run one program? (WoW can run fairly ok on my current computer, but for bigger, stronger games with more heavy requirements)

In a more specific case as the one that popped up today at Fry's, for just gaming (no DVD burning or editing or anything like that) would I be better off going with a E6300 Core 2 Duo Processor that clocks at 1.8 Ghrz or a Pentium D 945 Processor that clocks at 3.0 Ghrz?

Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2006
    While multitasking is one benefit of multiple cores, new games coming out next year will take advantage of them as well - it will get to the point where at least 2 cores is a requirement for new games by the end of next year.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've yet to meet anyone who's been disappointed going dual core really.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Between the 2 CPU's, go with the Core 2 Duo, it will run circles around the Pentium D, despite the lower clock speed.
  • edited November 2006
    Plus C2D will use significantly less power and make considerably less heat also. Seriously, there is no valid reason to not go dual core nowdays. Plus, if you can hold out to sometimes in January, Intel should be coming out with the E4300, which will be a 200 fsb Allendale with no VT support but does have 64 bit support. It will run at 1.8 GHz, giving a 9 multi, which will help out on overclocking on the cheaper mobos available. It should also be somewhat cheaper than the E6300 too. I guessing somewhere in the $150-160 range.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'm currently running Pentium D930's and one D915. I am very happy with their performance, but I have them all highly overclocked. Were I building a new machine now, or upgrading an Athlon or Pentium single core system, there would only be one choice - C2D.

The D9XX series are 65nm and are great overclockers. Additionally, they aren't as hot and power hungry as the D8XX series, but they just aren't in the same league as the Conroe core CPUs.