Urgent/ Need Lots Of Replies Fast/ Will Order In Less Than An Hour

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Leonardo had this to say
    Oh, you would just have to link that SP-94. I wish, I wish, wish I hadn't seen that review. Dang it, I'm not supposed to spending money now. (Preparing for career change in a few months. Might have to cough up cash for moving expenses.)

Oh well, time to dig through the parts bin for private deals - raise money for the SP-94!:rolleyes2
    hehe ...don't blame me blame larry!
    larry ...it's all your fault!

ok ...larry I'm sorry but I went and did it ...I went to svc and placed an$82 order for the slk947u - vantec tornado80 - duct kit - and a few single ata cables for around $2 which I couldn't pass.

I am paying around $39.99 for the 947 but they have 900's for $29.99 as I'm sure you are well aware.

edit:/ someone stop me please ...I also just went to newegg and ordered a 2600+xp 266 ...$99 shipped. why have these been so hard for me to find?
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2003
    Larry, I got the HS and fan today.

Removed the PAL @45c full load, installed the SLK with the same fan (Mech 80mm) and temps dropped 6c
    Later, removed Mech fan, installed Zalman 92mm (full speed same as Mech) and temps went back up to 45c

Conclusion: I guess I was wrong and the Zalman isn't a good choice for this HS.

ps: this is the first HS that beats my PAL8045 with the same fan. The last time I tried a different HS was the "massive/awesome looking" MCX462-V but didn't even come close to beating the PAL.

I hope this helps in your decision a little bit.

Cheers!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    With my SLK, I get better results with my Mechatronics 80mm fan than with three other 92mm fans, some pushing more air volume than the Mechatronics. I guess it must have to do with the air flow pattern.
    edited October 2003
    It must be all that air flow wasted/spilled over the sides while the Mech concentrates the flow more evenly close to the center.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    That's what I was thinking. Also, when running the 80mm fan, my indicated ambient case temperature is lowered. I think that the 92mm fans wash hot air over the motherboard surface surrounding the heatsink, rather than that hot air being evacuated by the case exhaust fan.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thanks EQ.

I oredered the SLK-900 and a Tornado last week and got a rheobus locally to control the Tornado. I an currently looking into locating some Mechatronics MC9238X fans as they look quite good. I haven't heard back from the places I asked yet but if you know someplace it would be appreciated. Here are the specs of the MC9238 series.
    edited October 2003
    I hope you have better luck with the Tornado than I had.
    When I tried the MCX462-V one of the fans I used was the Tornado with a Nexus fan controller and at full speed (F-16 taking off) this combo barely beat the PAL8045/Mech combo.

Never seen that model of the Mech but I'll keep my eyes open for it. As we were speculating with Leo, we think the SLK benefits better form an 80mm fan.
    edited October 2003
    I take it the problem stems from the larger hub diameter? If so has anyone tried shifting the fan off center so the hub is at least not directly over the core? In my case that would also position the fan over my NB with the passive HS. :)
    edited October 2003
    No, that's not it. The hub of the Mech is just as big if not bigger than Zalman's hub and you can't shift it cause if you do the clips don't work
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Ok, your BLOW on heatsink strategy works with a thin-finned heatsink if air is then sucked away from base of heatsink. However, there are other things like RAM that overheat a lot and you will be lowing hot\warm air at RAM with this strategy, so I would heatsink the RAM also. AND consider a slot fan that sucks air away from bottom of video card.

Strategy nice for CPU, but you will get other hotter spots doing this including possibly HDs. If you instead suck air through a relatively non-compressible duct out of case, and blow in from front, you get better OVERALL cooling. Depends on how hot other things are in relation to CPU or if CPU is WAY overhot and other things are relatively cooler whether the duct blowing in will really help. HP uses ducts for CPU cooling, but they use radically vented PSUs and also blow out the back of case from CPU cooling duct(rigid plastic) and PSU. This keeps heat from blowing directly on you and making YOU a warmer spot also if you have a side vent (blowhole) blowing at your legs, which I woudl recommend if you are going to blow air into case that is prewarmed by CPU heat first before raising ambient temps inside case. Also give the case some extra spacing to blowhole side if you do this, and figure computer to your LEFT is better as left side is typically blowhole side.

Note that heatsink fan needs to be blowing up into duct if you have other end sucking, and blowing down into heatsink if you have the back end blowing into case or you get turbulence and air flow direction confusion that will result in WORSE cooling. Try both is duct is not easly collapsable, and if it is a foil duct with wire supports than GROUND it to case for safety including anti-static safety.

John
    edited October 2003
    EQ,
    I was thinking of bending the clips to shift the fan to the side and figured it should be good for about 1/2 inch. I got an extra set of clips when I got my SLK-800 and will try it on there prior to installing my SLK-900.

John,
    Huh? What is the relation here?
    If you look at the circles, this is currently fan overhang. I intend to move the fan in the direction of the arrow to approximately the the verticle line and have all the overhang on one side which will also position the hub away from the CPU core area.
    edited October 2003
    larry ...go to www.newegg.com right now and check out the price of the Barton 3000+/400 ...it's only on for 2 more hours.
    edited October 2003
    csimon had this to say
    larry ...go to www.newegg.com right now and check out the price of the Barton 3000+/400 ...it's only on for 2 more hours.

Are you trying to sabatoge me? ;)

Luckily / unluckily I don't have any money to spend right now.
    edited October 2003
    OK, I tried moving the fan to one side and my CPU temp went up 2C under the same conditions. So I moved it back to where it was. This was with my current SLK-900 and 80mm TT SF2. I don't know how another fan or doing this on a SLK-900 would differ but it may be worth a try. I will experiment more after my SLK-900 gets here in the next couple of days. I will try flipping the fan at that time also.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Larry, talking about the DUCTING adn air flow through it, not the fan\heatsink per se. If you have a duct blowing into case and onto heat sink, air heated by heatsink convection dumping goes all over RAM (your Corsair RAM) with DIMM 1 being heated most. Overheating RAM causes all sorts of things. You have cooled CPU at expense of other things-- duct also blocks air flow from front to back and will completely cover over one fan whihc then cannot cool rest of case. To compensate for the air going out around CPU area through duct, you get to cool surrounding things more aggressively or do a side blowhole to suck air out before it raises inside case ambient too much. Fan on CPU heatsink, if you duct with an inward blowing fan, gets reversed to blow down on heatsink. tha means it bounces off mobo or lfows along mobo plane until it hits things near CPU and heats them as this air is no loaded with heat sucked from CPU heatsink via conduction and convection (air blown across conductive surfaces grabs what is being conducted and proceeds to carry it whereever it goes until it reaches an obstacle, at which time if obstacle is cooler it HEATS it and if not it has a heat load and cannot cool as well so that thing that is an obstacle does not cool off well. Prevention means sucking air away through one side of case so air does not travel path of least resistance, that means a blowhole fan to suck it out. Ducting should only be used when you have TWO back fans or more, and the unobstructed one needs possibly to cover for the fact that the duct is blocking the action of the fan it ends at. Skip duct kit or allow for the consequences of it.

John.
    edited October 2003
    Sorry John, I wasn't thinking back to the beginning of this thread since I had trashed that idea and bought the new HS. your points bacame clear after your last post so I then got the meaning of the prior post. It caught me off guard as I was on a whole different tangent at the time and rather single focused as I often tend to get. I actually have 2 intakes and 2 exhausts plus a double fan PSU that moves as much as one of my oother case fans. I had originally considered the idea with converting one of my rear exhast fans to the duct and it is right next to the CPU so there wouldn't have been any interferance in airflow. Bit alas that plan is gone and I am off for new groung entirely now. thank you for your input though.

Larry
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The mech fans arent as big an bulky as the 92mm fans which allows more room for airflow
    edited October 2003
    damn I love that zalman in that pic larry!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    This is the longest hour I've ever seen......
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    This is the longest hour I've ever seen......

;D;D Glad Im not the only one who thought that :D
  • edited October 2003
    I've been thinking of getting a 92mm fan, and a 92mm-to-80mm adapter, all on an SLK-947u. That should give you the best of both worlds.
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    I've been thinking of getting a 92mm fan, and a 92mm-to-80mm adapter, all on an SLK-947u. That should give you the best of both worlds.

That's a good idea except that I'm not sure how you'll be able to hold the adapter. Remeber that the SLK uses metal wire clips not screws...

btw: the Mech isn't much louder than the Zalman and they push the same CFM's at full speed.
    edited October 2003
    EQuito said
    TheSmJ had this to say

That's a good idea except that I'm not sure how you'll be able to hold the adapter. Remeber that the SLK uses metal wire clips not screws...
    I have a 92 tornado and an slk-947u on the way with 92-80 adapter ...but I think EQuito is right in that wire clips clip onto the 38mm fan but would be hindered by an adapter ...we'll see next week. Also have the 80mm tornado and duct kit on the way also so I look forward to some fun.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede
    wonders how many hs/fans Larry have gotten by now

LArry, are you the handy type of guy? Create a little standoff so that the fan is higher above the hs. Or am i way off bicycling without reading the whole thread?
    Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    wonders how many hs/fans Larry have gotten by now

LArry, are you the handy type of guy? Create a little standoff so that the fan is higher above the hs. Or am i way off bicycling without reading the whole thread?
  • edited October 2003
    csimon said
    EQuito said
    TheSmJ had this to say

I have a 92 tornado and an slk-947u on the way with 92-80 adapter ...but I think EQuito is right in that wire clips clip onto the 38mm fan but would be hindered by an adapter ...we'll see next week. Also have the 80mm tornado and duct kit on the way also so I look forward to some fun.

What adapter are you getting?

If I get one (I'll just get the fan and sink first) I'd get one that holds the fan slightly above the sink, so the clips should be able to get to the 80mm holes w/o any interference.