connection dropped, is it something I'm doing?

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
i have been with pipex for about 2 years now

a couple months ago i got an email from them saying my connection may be out for a few hours for routine line maintainence

fair enough

i was online and at almost exactly the time they said it cut out

ok

so i go back online the following day

no problem

i go about my business then come back to my computer to find that my downloads that were running have stopped and no webpages will connect properly

i restart my computer and it works fine

i think nothing of this and just put it down to a hiccup. i spose every company is entitled to at least one right?

then a few days later it happens again

i decide to uninstall my modem and delete the connection from inside network connections in the control panel

i do all that then restart and reinstall the modem and connection

is working fine again

now basically i have the same problem

every now and then (usually once a day) the connection freezes up

i cannot download a thing

when i check the status of the connection the received bytes part stays where it is but the errors just keep going up and up

now i have called my ISP (pipex) with regards to this matter and all they suggested was taking everything out of the phone line and trying my connection on the main port in the house

i explained to the man that i can restart my computer and get the connection back so the port in the wall isnt the problem

he gave me an ip address to type into my search bar which i have done and all it is is a bandwidth test which i have done only to see that the connection is healthy.

i have a 2MB connection and received the following results

Downstream 1,871.2 Kbps ( = 1.8 Mbps )
Upstream 241.0 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )

is it time to find a new provider?

one last thing

i notice that im not getting any slowdown or errors on uploads

very strange!

can somebody perhaps shed some light?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I assume Pipex is your ISP? Never heard of them, sorry. Well anyway, sometimes ISPs will update their equipment and the end user's system may need adjusting. Give your ISP customer service desk a call and they should be able to diagnose your problem and get it resolved.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2006
    pipex is my isp

i have called them and they are useless

all they have told me to do is disconnect everything from my phone line

my modem is plugged directly into the wall same as before and the only other thing connected is my home phone, which has never caused a problem before

he did say something on the phone when i told him the problem was with downloading saying the ports can only handle x amount of data but that was never a problem before

is it possible they are restricting me?

saying that, surely if it was some sort of restriction it wouldnt cut me off altogether would it?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2006
    r u in the uk?
    edited November 2006
    Kentigern wrote:
    r u in the uk?

sure am
    edited November 2006
    You might already know this site but here it is anyway
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
    Check out the pipex user forum it is showing that they are having very slow evening speeds and not much better in the day. Hence it ain't your end.

I use PlusNet 30gb bandwidth per month speed 2mbs (upto 8mbs in the pipeline)
    cost £21.99inc vat per month for Broadband Premier

You can compare other ISP's on the adslguide (see above) site and get loads of info.

Hope this helps :)
    edited November 2006
    thanks that is helpful

but is that actually what is happening?

i mean my speed isnt just slowing down, its stopping altogether
    edited November 2006
    Didn't read all - but the list of unhappy users was quite lonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg!
    Check out the forum on adslguide it's quite independant of pipex
    edited November 2006
    yeah another few ppl have the same problem as me

its defo their fault

what gets me is the fact that they seem to think i am some sort of idiot and that they can say 'just unplug everything then plug it back in' and that will solve the problem. that or they try to subtly shift the blame to BT

i need an unlimited connection

is tiscali any good?
    edited November 2006
    Personally, I wouldn't too much spam, plus they brand your browser and email not easy to manually connect they have an automated connection system icons on the desktop etc. You need to read their small print carefully.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    You might try SkyBB's service, particularly their ADSL 2+ package. It's cheap, high bandwidth, reliable (For the UK), and has unlimited bandwidth. Some of my e-friends in blimey love it.
    edited November 2006
    If you already have Sky TV you could probably bundle it all up with broadband
    :scratchhead:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    You probably could! ;)
    edited November 2006
    you HAVE to have SKY tv to get their broadband

im very strongly considering BE broadband

https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do