Pentium D Overclocking?

edited November 2006 in Hardware
I know you guys are going to ream me for this, but can someone give me a ballpark estimate for the pentium d 915? I'm buying a system from a friend and he has it in there (the system was custom built). He doesn't believe in oc'ing, and i have only ever used amd, so i'm completely in the dark. I know that asking a question like this is like asking if you have a smart kid if the one on the way is a prodigy, but I can't help it.

Comments

• ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    as far as i know the pentium d 915 should be a good overclocker as long as its a C revision. anyways a rough ball park figure is 3.0 to 3.5 ghz
  • edited November 2006
    I'm really confused now.
    edited November 2006
    I'm really confused now.

oh i just wanted to beat [strike]Thrax[/strike] Panties to the first post.

that processor the pd915 is one of the best overclockers out there.
  • edited November 2006
    Any arbitrary numbers i should be looking at?
    edited November 2006
    Any arbitrary numbers i should be looking at?

i've heard people overclocking their presler cores d915s and d920's past 4Ghz
  • edited November 2006
    That's amazing! if i can get 3.5 i would be ecstatic. Yah raising my folding store!!!!
    edited November 2006
    you'll need a damn good board and memory and good cooling.
  • edited November 2006
    Yah, i'm on the better end on all accords, so i'll go with 3.2
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    anyways a rough ball park figure is 3.0 to 3.5 ghz
    Baloney.

With good cooling, a high performance motherboard, and a good quality PSU, a pushover, easy overclock would be about 3.5 - 3.7GHz. I run mine 4.0GHz 24/7 at full load. See signature below.

You could probably do 3.5 with the stock cooling, assuming the computer case is well ventilated.

Are you upgrading a current system? If so, what parts do you intend to keep using if you upgrade the CPU?

Why would you want to upgrade now to the D9XX series when Core 2 Duo isn't all that expensive? (had to ask)
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Baloney.

With good cooling, a high performance motherboard, and a good quality PSU, a pushover, easy overclock would be about 3.5 - 3.7GHz. I run mine 4.0GHz 24/7 at full load. See signature below.

You could probably do 3.5 with the stock cooling, assuming the computer case is well ventilated.

Are you upgrading a current system? If so, what parts do you intend to keep using if you upgrade the CPU?

Why would you want to upgrade now to the D9XX series when Core 2 Duo isn't all that expensive? (had to ask)

although i'm not much of an intel fan, i heard only C revision presler d915's can do that on stock cooling. May i ask what your chip revision is?
    edited November 2006
    My 915 is a C1 revision. You know, you may have a point about the revision. I think though, that any new D915 will be revision C. My guess is that probably even most used 915s will be revision C. The 915 was not produced until the the D9XX series was already mature. Given good power and tweaker's motherboard, I really think 3.5GHz would not be difficult at all with any 915.

BTW, all the D9XX CPUs are 65nm, Presler core.

Hope I wasn't too harsh with the "Baloney" comment. :)
  • edited November 2006
    I'm getting it because I'm buying a system from a local guy because i can't stand my laptop any more. The price was too good to pass up on.
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:

Hope I wasn't too harsh with the "Baloney" comment. :)

nah, not at all.
    edited November 2006
    Called4More, please list the system specifications for the system you are buying:

CPU: PD915
    RAM:
    Motherboard:
    Power Supply Unit:
    Case:
    Hard Drive(s):
    CPU heatsink/fan:

If you don't mind, would you also let us know what price the seller is offering.
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Called4More, please list the system specifications for the system you are buying:

CPU: PD915
    RAM: 1GB PC4500 (don't sure which brand yet)
    Motherboard:Asus (same one as you actually leo : P)
    Power Supply Unit: Antec 500w (not sure which model)
    Case: Plain Jane Lian (Silver and Black)
    Hard Drive(s): 120 gb WD
    CPU heatsink/fan: stock hsf (i wanna eventually wc, maybe just put in a tt typhoon)

If you don't mind, would you also let us know what price the seller is offering: A straight trade for my xbox 360 and three games.Don't play it any more
    edited November 2006
    PSU - adequate, as long as the video card isn't a power hog
    CPU - great
    Motherboard - P5WD2 is one of the best overlclockers for D9XX; it's also a tough, resilient, forgiving board. It is though, end of the line, as the chipset will not take a Core 2 Duo upgrade
    Case - Lian Li - nice! that's a big bonus
    stock HSF - not great, but adequate for default clock or moderate OC

Nice setup! If I had an XBox 360 I wasn't using, I'd trade for that Asus-D915 rig in a heartbeat. That computer ought to be a very easy overclock to 3.5GHz. You will though, need to set an FSB divider, as that RAM will not ramp up high enough to meet the CPU at a 1:1 overclock ratio. With better CPU cooling and a couple other easy fixes, that system should do 4.0GHz without any problems.

I'd take that machine before the seller changes his mind. Do you also get a Windows CD with it? If so, the deal just went from great to really great.

If you do get that machine, let me know right away and I'll give some tips for prepping it for overclocking.
  • edited November 2006
    Well, I live in kansas city, so the trade will either happen this evening or this weekened, depending on the status of the blizzard we are supposed to get this evening. I'd also appreciate any oc'ing help with it when i get there. BTW, i don't need a windows cd, because i have two seperate vl versions of professional (the whole i'm in college thing helps with that).

PS I hope to be purchasing two 7800gs for it.
    edited November 2006
    Motherboard preparation for overlcocking that system is pretty easy. Try to find a small fan that you can mount on the P5WD2's passive northbridge sink. the sink is good, but just not robust enough in passive mode for overclocking past 3500MHz. Remove the northbridge and southbridge and replace the stock junk silicon paste with Zalman's thermal paint or Arctic Silver (or equivalent). Order a better CPU heatsink if you intend to run the system at moderate overclocks at full load or at high overclocks at any load. I highly recommend the Thermaltake Big Typhoon - quiet, powerful, well-made, and it also cools the motherboard components that surround the CPU socket.

I hope to be purchasing two 7800gs for it.
    That will be pushing the PSU maybe too far if you attempt CPU overclocking and two video cards. I wouldn't do that with a 500W-max PSU.

Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja, Zalman 9500 Mini-comparo
  • edited November 2006
    I plan on going to a 600+ watt psu if i get the new graphics cards. WC is hopefully going to happen someday too.