how do you move a file from one folder to another on Mac OSX??

edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
As the subject says. On Mac OSX, how do you take a file and move -not copy- it to another directory?

Why is this so hard to find information on? From what I have read OSX doesn't even have this function built in, but I dont believe it.

I need to be able to do this with a one button mouse. None of that fancy 3 button mouse crap for me!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Drag and drop. But I've no idea how to do it with that goofy one-button mouse.
  • edited December 2006
    Draging and dropping only copies a file.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Hold down the 'Ctrl' key on your keyboard when you click on the file to bring up a contextual menu. It's the same as a right-click. There ought to be something there you can use.

That's wierd that dragging and dropping doesn't work. That's the default unless you're copying across different disks.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited December 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    That's the default unless you're copying across different disks.

That's what I'm trying to do, actually. :dunce:

I think I tried ctrl-clicking already, but I'll have to check again later.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Draging and dropping only copies a file.
    i'm draging and dropping right now on my macbook, and it does not copy a file.

I can drag a file on my desktop to any other fold on my hdd by dropping it into that folder, and no copies were created.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I am thinking his directory is on another drive, causing it to copy like Windows.
  • JimBowenJimBowen Southampton, England
    edited December 2006
    See, this is why GUI's just plain suck.
    If you want them to do something specific, they won't.
    CLIs however will do _PRECISELY_ what you tell them to, even if it is stupid.

Therefore, to move your file:
    mv file1 file2

;)
  • edited December 2006
    Ok, how do you move a bunch of files - or whole directories - from one hard drive to another?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    just use the shell/console. I don't remember how to get to it, but its basically the same as the linux console.
  • edited December 2006
    Would be ok with me but the guy I need to describe this to doesn't even know what a command line console is let alone how to use one. How do you do it within the GUI?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I don't have my OS X box in front of me, but if I recall correctly:

Highlight individual files and folders by holding down shift and clicking on them, then drag and drop to destination folder. Then drag the originals to the trash or Ctrl-Click and select 'Delete'.

-drasnor :fold: