P5WD2 Premuim PLZ HELP !!

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I have a Asus P5WD2 premium that has to be the biggest pain in the ass ever im not to sure on what drivers i need to if any on the f6 install i dont use raid and i have no ide hard drives in my machine i have disabled the ITE Controller and the sata link controller as im pretty sure i dont need them as the drives are running in ide mode .

Both drives are maxtor DM 10

full rig

P5WD2 premium
2 XMaxtor DM 10
X1900GT
3.0 GHZ Intel socket 775 LGA
NEC DVD/RW
LG DVD ROM

thnx in advance

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Are you still there? If so, I'm ready to help you. The good news is that the P5WD2 is a rock solid, high quality, high performance motherboard. Sorry you are having problems. I think it will be pretty easy to get your board running well.

A couple questions for you: Do you have the motherboard manual? Do you know how to enter the BIOS and make changes? Have you gone to the Asus site and downloaded all the drivers for the board, "P5WD2 Premium?" (Or do you have the drivers CD for the board?)

When you respond, please write with normal sentences. Run-on sentences are a real pain to read. That's why punctuation was invented.

But anyway, I'm ready to help. I've owned many, many motherboards, and none have been as good in performance and stability as the P5WD2.
  • edited December 2006
    I have a manual and i know how to make changes in the Bios I also have the cd and i am running the latest bios 0802 which i downloaded from the Asus website I have found the one of my problems was a faulty WD Raptor which i have now removed leaving both my maxtor drives .

My bios is set to Ide mode i have tried in AHCI but didnt gain much there I just seem to Bad installs of XP takes about 3 trys to get a good install :(

i have used killdisk to wipe the drives before each format which sometimes improve it .
    edited December 2006
    OK, let me know some more about the configuration:

You are running one CD drive and two IDE (P-ATA) hard drives?

Which connectors are you running them off of. The blue and the red IDE connectors? By the way, the red IDE connectors are controlled by the ITE8211 chip. The ITE~ needs to be turned on in the BIOS.

Have you installed all the drivers from the Asus CD?

Without knowing exactly your Windows XP installation steps, here are a couple tips. The "F6" prompt would be were you have the first opportunity to install the ITE chip drivers. Not to worry though, you can always install them later, but until installed, drives on the red IDE connectors will not work right or won't work at all. An easy way to set up the system/install XP is to just use the blue connector during XP installation, with one hard drive and CD on the same cable as master/slave configuration or cable select/cable select. Then, as soon as XP installation is done, before getting the updates, install the motherboard drivers. After driver installation, then move/add drives to the red connectors.

In the BIOS
    edited December 2006
    For best drive(s) performance from the ITE8211F controller, make the following settings in the BIOS:

Main
    ->IDE Configuration
    -- Configure SATA As [Standard IDE]
    Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced Mode]
    Ehnanced Mode Support On [S-ATA]

IDE Detect Time Out (Sec) doesn't really matter that much, in my opinion.
  • edited December 2006
    My HDD are on the ICH 7 sata controller my CD/DVD drives are conected to the single blue conector i have installed the ite and sillicon drivers on the f6 install even though im pretty sure i dont need them seeing as nothing is conected to either of them .
    edited December 2006
    Well, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. You are correct, you might as well turn off the ITE controller in the BIOS as you aren't using it. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to keep it on. Your choice.

So what exactly is the problem with your hard drives?
  • edited December 2006
    Well i seems that when i dont install the ITE or Sillicon drivers my install goes pear shaped .

after some time the my music icon in my doc is missing and it just doesnt seem right to me .
    edited December 2006
    That is strange about the icon disappearing. I really don't know what hardware settings/configurations would affect the appearance of Windows, other than blue screens (RAM, maybe power supply unit) or a crosshatched screen (video card).

What do you mean by "pear shaped"?