ThinkPad support/warranty praise

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited December 2006 in Hardware
So the CD-RW/DVD drive on my one year old ThinkPad stopped working yesterday. The drive showed up, but no media detected in My Computer or in Disk Management. I have two years left on the standard warranty.

Called Lenovo at 2:00 P.M. yesterday. There was a new drive on my front step at 11:00 this morning. Not bad.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I've had similar experiences with my ThinkPad. IBM/Lenovo has far and above the best tech support of any OEM I've ever worked with. Even the times they've wanted my whole notebook in the shop (GPU failure), they never had it more than a week, paid overnight shipping both ways, and supplied the packing materials.

I guess they're slipping though; the time my DVD drive went south I called them at around 1:30 PM and the drive was there at 9:00 AM the following morning ;D.

-drasnor :fold:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    TheInquirer has run a couple articles recently about the quality of Lenovo/IBM support.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    One of my work computers is a three year-old Thinkpad (IBM). It replaced my piece of junk Gateway 600YG2 disaster that died - third motherboard gave up the ghost. I'm becoming a big Thinkpad fan. I've used many brands and sizes of notebooks/laptops. This is definitely in the top ten for ergonomics, rugged construction, and all-around functionality.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    I tend to see a lot of Gateway problems. I know half the stuff all comes out of the same factory but.....am I dreaming or do they make a marginal machine?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Almost all the computers (I fix about 50 a week) with real, physical issues are Gateway/Emachine.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Almost all the computers (I fix about 50 a week) with real, physical issues are Gateway/Emachine.

'guess I'd call that an indictment.

I can tell you from experience, eMachines support is absolutely fug awful. They pretty much tell you they don't care.