Does this need to be RMA'd?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

I have been experiencing BSOD, Windows stability issues and lockup's during Windows XP sessions.

The error messages have been referencing RAM as the cause. I initially replaced my motherboard from an ABIT KN9 ULTRA to an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe as I assumed this was the problem. But since the problem has been replicating with the new motherboard I ran memtest86 and discovered this, is this meaning I need to RMA my RAM?

th_DSCN1256.jpg
th_DSCN1255.jpg

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    What ram do you have?
  • edited December 2006
    csimon wrote:
    What ram do you have?

GEIL 2048MB DDR2-800 TWIN PACK PC-6400 240-PIN DDR2 RAM, nothing in the system is overclocked.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If the timings are "BY SPD" and you are getting even one error then the ram is bad.
    If you have tried to "tighten" up the timings then Relax them back to what they should be and run memtest again.

Also , it could be one of the two sticks giving you the problem. Try running memtest on each stick one at a time and in different slots.

Scott
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Try running memtest on each stick one at a time and in different slots.
    Yes, absolutely.

Also - I must ask. You did remove all former motherboard drivers and install the new ones, right?
  • edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, absolutely.

Also - I must ask. You did remove all former motherboard drivers and install the new ones, right?

Yup... I even deleted the partition, formatted, then reinstalled and applied all Windows XP updates. I also have latest drivers installed for everything.

I'll be memtesting each stick now too as advised by Scott.
    edited December 2006
    Then yes, if both, or even one of those DRAM modules has a MemTest error, it's a legitimate RMA for the set. Geil RAM tends to be very compatible with different platforms. It should not have a compatibility problem with your motherboard. If it's not working right, it's defective.
  • edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Then yes, if both, or even one of those DRAM modules has a MemTest error, it's a legitimate RMA for the set. Geil RAM tends to be very compatible with different platforms. It should not have a compatibility problem with your motherboard. If it's not working right, it's defective.

Ok good stuff... i have filled out RMA form and await their reply. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
    edited December 2006
    Did you already run Memtest on both modules?
  • edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Did you already run Memtest on both modules?

The screenie is from both modules.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    RMA your memory.