Oh my AT8-32X

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Trying to reclaim my overclock w/o setting the A64Info voltage means I need more volts. Here is 313 again now at 1.45v.
    313.JPG 176.4K
    edited December 2006
    315@1.475v
    315.JPG 175.8K
    edited January 2007
    316@1.50v
    316.JPG 177.5K
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I just got one of the same Opterons for my father for Christmas. I've been watching this thread closely, and will be modelling my overclocking on your attempts. :)

Sadly, though, I have to keep the RAM freq. between 200-218. :( Damn pc3500.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Sadly, though, I have to keep the RAM freq. between 200-218. :( Damn pc3500.
    That doesn't matter you can get the same bandwidth at those frequencies as you do at the higher frequencies using tight timings. I thought I posted that. Sorry!
    What motherboard will you use?

Edit:\ compare posts #18 & #20 @ 260 cas3 to post #25 206 cas2 ...lower was actually a tad better.
    edited January 2007
    I'll be using a DFI SLI ULTRA-D. S939. It's a late-model Denmark chip.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I'll be using a DFI SLI ULTRA-D. S939. It's a late-model Denmark chip.
    Ohhhhh ...excellent choice! When I built my first opteron rig over a year ago I had that board on my wish list because it didn't use the heatpipe system (because of the lian li inversion thing) but decided to give the ati chipset a try instead.
    Got steppings?
    Which PSU & video?
    I'm actually setting up my A8R-MVP and opteron 170 for dad this week using bh-5 so I'll be using those same frequencies.
    edited January 2007
    I never wrote the stepping down. I always forget to do that. :( PSU is a 550w Enermax Liberty, and the video is an eVGA 7800GTX.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I never wrote the stepping down. I always forget to do that. :( PSU is a 550w Enermax Liberty, and the video is an eVGA 7800GTX.
    Your dad is gonna pown joo!
    I think the biggest limiting factor on these chips is the IHS and max t-case in most cases.
    How much mem?
    edited January 2007
    1G of some old Winbond BH-5 in some Corsair DIMMs.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    1G of some old Winbond BH-5 in some Corsair DIMMs.
    In that case he'll probably pown me too! :thumbsup:
    2 sticks or 4?
    edited January 2007
    2 sticks. I wasn't gonna dick myself over with the old latency issues. ;D
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    2 sticks. I wasn't gonna dick myself over with the old latency issues. ;D
    LOL ..Oh man. Sounds like he's getting a good system for sure.
    I still don't think dad is convinced that he needs the extra core really. I think the most intesive software he uses is Google Earth.
    edited January 2007
    My old man is a big gamer. Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Planetside.. Yeah, he can really make use of the dual core. He was using a single core Opteron 147 for a long while, and he'd been hinting at dual core chips all year, so I got him the 165 for xmas. :D Now I get to tinker with it.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    My old man is a big gamer. Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Planetside.. Yeah, he can really make use of the dual core. He was using a single core Opteron 147 for a long while, and he'd been hinting at dual core chips all year, so I got him the 165 for xmas. :D Now I get to tinker with it.
    Cool. Well I haven't seen any dud steppings coming from newegg in quite a while. You should be fine at default vcore or slightly higher for a good clock and decent temps. I imagine HT at 600 (3X) and DRAM at DDR266 (133). That should possibly be good for about 333HTT and slightly over.
    Have you started it yet?
    edited January 2007
    No, I haven't really had the time due to work. I'm going to get started in about 3 hours when I get home from work. I'm hoping to get 300MHz on the FSB, but I don't know what multipliers are available yet.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    No, I haven't really had the time due to work. I'm going to get started in about 3 hours when I get home from work. I'm hoping to get 300MHz on the FSB, but I don't know what multipliers are available yet.
    multi on the cpu is 9 and at 133 on ram that's the 14 multi.
    I'm tempted to try and mix 2 sticks bh-5 3500 2-2-2-8 with 2 sticks of cas 3 pc3000. If I can get them to run at 200 mhz it might be worth it to get the extra mem for him. The A8R-MVP doesn't handle 1T very well usually.
    Is the ultra D new for you or have you worked with it before?
    edited January 2007
    The Ultra-D is old hat to me. I got my dad's 147 up to 2.8GHz in a jiff on it, the voltages are rock solid (And more importantly, predictable). Hoping to get much of the same speeds.

Befuddles me, however, I thought the Opterons were downward-unlocked only?
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    The Ultra-D is old hat to me. I got my dad's 147 up to 2.8GHz in a jiff on it, the voltages are rock solid (And more importantly, predictable). Hoping to get much of the same speeds.

Befuddles me, however, I thought the Opterons were downward-unlocked only?
    They are ...165=9x or less. 14x is the ram multi at 133 speeds. I don't think you'll have a problem getting to 2.8 honestly. If all you can do is 300 and you have the 13x (140) ram multi then that would be 208mhz.
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, Athlon64 overclocking gives me a friggin' headache to conceptualize. If my FSB is 300MHz, I'd just whatever divider necessary to get the RAM back close to 218, yeah?
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Honestly, Athlon64 overclocking gives me a friggin' headache to conceptualize. If my FSB is 300MHz, I'd just whatever divider necessary to get the RAM back close to 218, yeah?
    You got it mister. Now you know why I use the calculator and save on asprin!
    edited January 2007
    Got 300x9 at 1.4v, Orthos stable. It was hitting the upper end of the TCaseMax at 313x9, and I think it may have been an unstable frequency (Perhaps for the memory -- not sure). I'll try fiddling with it a bit more later, but 2.7GHz is a fine start.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Got 300x9 at 1.4v, Orthos stable. It was hitting the upper end of the TCaseMax at 313x9, and I think it may have been an unstable frequency (Perhaps for the memory -- not sure). I'll try fiddling with it a bit more later, but 2.7GHz is a fine start.
    Once the TIM sets you'll see those temps drop a bit anyway. I'd say you're good for at least 2.8 for sure.
    Also keep the mosfets very cool.

317@1.55v
    317.JPG 177.1K
    edited January 2007
    A brief summary for my reference:

1.450v @ 313HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.475v @ 315HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.500v @ 316HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.550v @ 317HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.550v @ 319HTT testing orthos stability
  • edited January 2007
    Well, I'm ready to join the late model 165 overclocking club too now. I just got a CCBBE 0617FPMW from Newegg while I was offshore (sold my old Opty 170) and installed it this morning. Right now I have it testing at 290 X 9 and 1.35v vcore and so far looking totally stable. I'm about to bump it to 300 HTT and see how she does there at stock volts. I'll test with Orthos for a few hours and go from there. This is with the Biostar T-Force 4 SLI board I bought to replace the dead Epox with.

One thing I did notice with the new Opty is that AMD has subbed a crappier stock heatpipe than what my old Opty and X2-4400 shipped with though. I guess they must get the new design for $1 cheaper or something.:rolleyes:
  • edited January 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Well, I'm ready to join the late model 165 overclocking club too now. I just got a CCBBE 0617FPMW from Newegg while I was offshore (sold my old Opty 170) and installed it this morning. Right now I have it testing at 290 X 9 and 1.35v vcore and so far looking totally stable. I'm about to bump it to 300 HTT and see how she does there at stock volts. I'll test with Orthos for a few hours and go from there. This is with the Biostar T-Force 4 SLI board I bought to replace the dead Epox with.

One thing I did notice with the new Opty is that AMD has subbed a crappier stock heatpipe than what my old Opty and X2-4400 shipped with though. I guess they must get the new design for $1 cheaper or something.:rolleyes:

If the cooler is one of these, I would give it a chance. You might be surprised :) Please post what you achieve, I am curious. Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    A brief summary for my reference:

1.450v @ 313HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.475v @ 315HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.500v @ 316HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.550v @ 317HTT 10 hrs orthos stable
    1.550v @ 319HTT testing orthos stability

What are your temperatures with these settings? Looking at the voltage, I guess the temperature is increasing exponentially after 1.45v.
  • edited January 2007
    Mirage, that is the heatsink that's included with my 165 I just got. I'm not using the stock heatsink to cool with though. I was just making an observation on the new included heatsink. I am using an SI 120 with a Delta GFB @ 7v for cooling.

Bumped it up to 2700 and still looking rock solid at 1.35v vcore too. I just ran Orthos for 1 1/2 hours on small fft's. I presently have it folding on 1 core and gpu folding on the other to see how it handles having just 1 core loaded with the other not doing much. I do plan to do some harder testing for stability from here on though. It looks like these new stepping Opty's clock pretty damn well though. :D
  • edited January 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Mirage, that is the heatsink that's included with my 165 I just got. I'm not using the stock heatsink to cool with though. I was just making an observation on the new included heatsink. I am using an SI 120 with a Delta GFB @ 7v for cooling.

Bumped it up to 2700 and still looking rock solid at 1.35v vcore too. I just ran Orthos for 1 1/2 hours on small fft's. I presently have it folding on 1 core and gpu folding on the other to see how it handles having just 1 core loaded with the other not doing much. I do plan to do some harder testing for stability from here on though. It looks like these new stepping Opty's clock pretty damn well though. :D

If it is anything like my CCBBE-0615DPMW it will need additional voltage past 2800. And, the temperature will start to rise sharply after that point. It is stable at 3000 with 1.55v, but I prefer running at 2800 at stock voltage. Core temperature under double Prime is around 50C using TT-BigT at 2800 and 1.35v. Just to give you some reference data in addition to csimon's detailed data here. :cheers:
    edited January 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Just in case you are unaware ...I just read at stanford that the latest catalyst drivers don't work w/ F@H ...just does the EUE thing.