Oh my AT8-32X

13»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    What are your temperatures with these settings? Looking at the voltage, I guess the temperature is increasing exponentially after 1.45v.
    Temps are nice.
    I am running at 2856@1.475v now very stable 24/7. Here is a coretemp shot running F@H.
    I've settled there for now until I can do something about this hot-ass video card. Performs nice though! 52c idle temp and 610/1600 mfg overclock.
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Temps are nice.
    I am running at 2856@1.475v now very stable 24/7. Here is a coretemp shot running F@H.
    I've settled there for now until I can do something about this hot-ass video card. Performs nice though! 52c idle temp and 610/1600 mfg overclock.

CPU temperatures are nice, you were using water cooling right?

Video card (this is 7950GT in your sig, right?) idle temperature is not that bad. The 7900GS in my sig had 48C idle temperature with the stock cooler, it went down to 38C with Zalman VF700 AlCu. Your 7950GT has 24 pipes vs 20 of 7900GS and running at higher frequency 600 vs 450. So, 52C looks reasonable to me. What is the maximum temperature while running 3DMark06 several times in sequence?

Still, you can always invest on something like this :)
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    CPU temperatures are nice, you were using water cooling right?

Video card (this is 7950GT in your sig, right?) idle temperature is not that bad. The 7900GS in my sig had 48C idle temperature with the stock cooler, it went down to 38C with Zalman VF700 AlCu. Your 7950GT has 24 pipes vs 20 of 7900GS and running at higher frequency 600 vs 450. So, 52C looks reasonable to me. What is the maximum temperature while running 3DMark06 several times in sequence?

Still, you can always invest on something like this :)
    Max temp 85C ...I haven't seen it go beyond that yet. But it gets really hot down here in the summer. My 7800gt was 38c idle and 68c max. I will put a fan on it next time I'm in there and see if that works for me. The problem is that it is passively cooled w/ no fan ...only heatpipes but inverted in this v2000 case. Inverting a heatpipe is a big no no.
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Max temp 85C ...I haven't seen it go beyond that yet. But it gets really hot down here in the summer. My 7800gt was 38c idle and 68c max. I will put a fan on it next time I'm in there and see if that works for me. The problem is that it is passively cooled w/ no fan ...only heatpipes but inverted in this v2000 case. Inverting a heatpipe is a big no no.

85C is a little high but if there are no crashes I think chip can withstand that temperature. Have you checked the cooler in the link in my previous post, it appears to be more efficient than the passive cooler on that 7950GT to me. Maybe you can find a good deal with that sink until summer.
    edited January 2007
    No heatpipes are out of the question because the card sits "belly up" in the v2000 case. That forces the heat in the wrong direction through the pipes and thus heating the frontside rather than the backside. That's the problem I'm having now. Just a conventional active heatsink would do the trick if I could find one ...but then I'll have to contend with the ram.
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    No heatpipes are out of the question because the card sits "belly up" in the v2000 case. That forces the heat in the wrong direction through the pipes and thus heating the frontside rather than the backside. That's the problem I'm having now. Just a conventional active heatsink would do the trick if I could find one ...but then I'll have to contend with the ram.

Then, Zalman VF700 is the best cooler, that I know, without heat pipes. You should be able to find it <$30. It also comes with RAM sinks.
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Then, Zalman VF700 is the best cooler, that I know, without heat pipes. You should be able to find it <$30. It also comes with RAM sinks.
    How's the fit I wonder?
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    How's the fit I wonder?

Zalman coolers are among the best quality; their fit and finish are always very good. My VF700 fit the XFX 7900GS without any problem and works much better than the stock cooler. Gigabyte installs them as default cooler in many of their graphics cards, I found one Gigabyte 7900GT for you so that you can see how it fits, not 7950GT though. You can see it here. The retail cooler comes with blue color Al heatsinks.
    edited January 2007
    I'll definitely go the VF700 route whenever the ambient begins to go up. I've used Zalman for NB heatsinks and in fact I still do. I also have the 5.1 headset and a fanmate. I still put everything to use that I've bought of theirs except for a passive video cooler. It performed well even with the fan but the arctic cooler was much better.
    Arctic cooling has no solution for the 7950gt unfortunately.
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    I'll definitely go the VF700 route whenever the ambient begins to go up. I've used Zalman for NB heatsinks and in fact I still do. I also have the 5.1 headset and a fanmate. I still put everything to use that I've bought of theirs except for a passive video cooler. It performed well even with the fan but the arctic cooler was much better.
    Arctic cooling has no solution for the 7950gt unfortunately.

I found it, here you go
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI1OCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Cool thanks ...and it's only $30 roughly.
    edited January 2007
  • edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:

Yeah, that is even better but I thought you didn't want pipes
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Yeah, that is even better but I thought you didn't want pipes
    Well this is my thinking. You see ...typically a video card sets gpu face down towards the bottom of the case. In my case the gpu sets facing upward. The gpu sink is connected via heatpipe to the rear of the card mostly. So instead of the heat being moved to the rear of the card away from the gpu it stays right up top near the gpu ...thus heating up.
    So if I apply the vf900 ...the heat should be transfered from the gpu thru the heatpipe up to the fins to be cooled. Makes sense. I don't see how it would work in a normal case though since it would be an inverted heatpipe configuration like I have now.
    edited March 2007
    I should mention here that I remedied the whole graphics cooling problem with a TTF 80mm lying directly on the gpu heatsink. It's running on half voltage so it is hardly audible and has the same cooling effect as running full speed ...maybe 1C difference at best. I am certainly glad that I experimented with that this weeked with satisfactory results.
  • edited March 2007
    It is great that you could remedy the cooling problem in such a simple and economical way. :thumbup
    edited March 2007
    mirage wrote:
    It is great that you could remedy the cooling problem in such a simple and economical way. :thumbup
    Thanks mirage. It was a final attempt before I went with an aftermarket mod. XFX has a double lifetime warranty on theses cards and others meaning that if I sold it to you or anyone else ...it would still carry the lifetime warranty. I tried tech support and they basically told me to try an added fan but not to remove the original cooling at all. So that's exactly what I did and it worked. Who knew? LOL I'm sure this isn't the first time they've heard the complaint but I'm sure that most customers just employ the card right side up anyway.

On another note. I also tuned my system fans way down. AT8-32X has FanEQ which lets you apply desired fan voltages at desired temps and such. I tweaked it last night to allow the system to run about 1C warmer than normal but to cut the noise down in half. Tracie thought the system was turned off this morning when it was actually folding on both cores.
    Check out the pics.

I know that it won't exactly tell you how quiet it really is but trust me ...it's very quiet compared to what it was!
  • edited March 2007
    Passive heat sinks are generally designed to be efficient at extracting the heat at source. But if the heat is not carried away with good air flow they appear to be inefficient. So you added the fan and eliminated the problem, as I understand. Congrats again :)
    edited March 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Passive heat sinks are generally designed to be efficient at extracting the heat at source. But if the heat is not carried away with good air flow they appear to be inefficient. So you added the fan and eliminated the problem, as I understand. Congrats again :)
    That's exactly correct. In the bottom section I have a pa160 with a 120mm pulling air through it which essentially is an intake fan. 2 80mm fans at low speed pull the warm air from that compartment plus a 140 on the psu.
    In the upper section there is a 120mm intake. Inside of the case there is an 80mm on the video, a 120mm on the ram/nb and a 120mm on the pwm. Then there is a 120mm exhaust.
    Other than that there is the P5 pump to circulate water to the apogee waterblock.
    So basically I bring cool air into the case ...I direct it to the hot spots ...then exhaust the warm waste air out of the rear. It isn't very warm though. :bigggrin:
    edited March 2007
    I don't remember mentioning or not ...but by using that 80mm fan on the vid card I lowered the temp 10C. It was well worth it!