xp PRO FREEZES on Install

Morty-141Morty-141 in the 9th level of hell (married with 2 kids in an 800^2 ft duplex
edited January 2007 in Hardware
here is the set I'm running
MSI kt4av with AMD 462 2800 (ya a some reall power)
WD 40 gig HD
521 ram PC-32000
400 Watt PSU
56X CDROM
64 meg grapfic card

This is going to be a computer for some work stuff
Now dow to the nut and bolts of the problem. The machine freezes any where from 39 - 1 of the installation of XP pro. Sometime I get a problem with the loading of a file but not to often. I been fighting this for about 2 weeks. :banghead: :banghead:

What I have done to diagnose the problem.
I have loded fale safe defaults in BIOS
Switched out ram
switched out video cars
put in a NIC/and took out NIC
switched out a Quantum 20 gig HD to WD 40 HD
double checked to make sure the HD is in the master and pined right as well
CD rom in on the IDE 2 and HD is on IDE 1 both are master I put then on Cable select slave and master positions
Ran microscope 4.0 ran numberus test all passed, TESTED both ram sticks
Ran long security wipe 5 time w/format on WD 40 gig
before the Security wipe I got the installation to make it to "1" min to completion then froze :rant: and it almost went out back to be shot drove over burned then pumbled with a sledgehammer. to make sure that it did not spread it infection to the rest of the world.

The security wipe ran for about 3 hours or so I had no problems in power (that I noticed) I was starting to think the PSu was going bad I'm trying to track down a volt meter to see the what's happing My next step is to switch out CPU's with my Back up and see if I get different results. But I need to find some CPU LUBE stuff. I'll repost if I got A bad CPU! Before I tear apart my other macine I would like to know if there is any other test or better testing sofware that I can run???

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I would give memtest86 a shot for the bad memory.
    http://www.memtest86.com/
  • Morty-141Morty-141 in the 9th level of hell (married with 2 kids in an 800^2 ft duplex
    edited December 2006
    cool that's cool stuff now it come down to the wait and see what the and if any errors are
    I give that a try and lets see if that's where the hang up is.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Morty, the problem might be as simple as overheating of motherboard components, the CPU, or the video card. Is the system in a small cramped case? Does the case have a an intake and exhaust fan? Is it under a desk in a corner where the hot exhaust air is re-entering the computer? Did you perhaps not seat the CPU heatsink completely flush with the CPU? You could try moving the computer to better ventilated spot and remove the case side panel. If it the installation goes through, you can be reasonably sure that the system has a heat dissipation problem.
  • Morty-141Morty-141 in the 9th level of hell (married with 2 kids in an 800^2 ft duplex
    edited December 2006
    DanG wrote:
    I would give memtest86 a shot for the bad memory.
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    I ran that test for 9+ hours and had 16 passes with no error count so I think it safe to say the my ram is good.

As for the overheating I will look more into this. The box is a standard ATX box with intake and out take 80mm fans. I will double check if there are flowing in the right directions. It sit in between two other systems 1/2 of the time the other half I ran it with the side off. I will make sure the CPU fan snd stuff is seated correctly.

Question! if its a overheating problem would that mean the machine works harded during the installation peirod then it does the copping session?
    I will work on the venting to see and I will swap out CPU to see If that is the BAD part.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Morty.141 wrote:
    I ran that test for 9+ hours and had 16 passes with no error count so I think it safe to say the my ram is good.

As for the overheating I will look more into this. The box is a standard ATX box with intake and out take 80mm fans. I will double check if there are flowing in the right directions. It sit in between two other systems 1/2 of the time the other half I ran it with the side off. I will make sure the CPU fan snd stuff is seated correctly.

Question! if its a overheating problem would that mean the machine works harded during the installation peirod then it does the copping session?
    I will work on the venting to see and I will swap out CPU to see If that is the BAD part.
    it could just be a bad copy of windows xp, scratched cd.
    edited January 2007
    I thank you for all the info. BUT after long hours of testing and getting the intallation down to 1 min:banghead: (count :mean: it ONE :mean: GOD :mean: damm:mean: min:mean:):rarr: I swaped out everything fromt the case, power supply, ram, HD, Cables,VIDEO card, andvmyother Corp copy of XP and nothing worked. I did do a repair with the disc So I know it works.:grumble: The HD's Passed all read and write test and I could install other programs on them and get them to work. So I dont think they were the problem. I used a newer video card and I got to be able to read what the error was an 800b0100
    SO It has to be the motherboard :confused2 and a BIOS updat dint help. This means I have a new target to shoot at. :rockon::rockon::rockon:
    On the FLIP side I get to buy a new Mother Board.
    Down side it's has to be a 462 slot processor board.
    But I get to bulid a new machine. Its alwas fun to build something new.:beer: