TDK's DVD drive division - what happened to it.

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Whatever happen to TDK's drive division? Did TDK give up on producing DVD+RW drives and DVD multi drives?

I still own a TDK 4x DVD+RW drive that I bought in 2003 and wondering where the support is (in case I want to update the firmware)

--EDIT--
I do see in the news section of the TDK site that they still do have the news up on their old drives, but no links to them.

Oh, something interesting, TDK has a 100GB quad layer Blu-Ray disc prototype, and are working on a 200GB quad layer prototype.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    TDK isn't even a contender in the DVD industry any more. They're a second-rate company that poorly-implements hardware from the big boys like Sanyo and NEC. I wouldn't be surprised if their support or new products have fallen on hard times.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I still own a TDK 4x DVD+RW drive that I bought in 2003
    Although I did not know the information that Thrax posted, it does not surprise me. Dan, DVD writers have become so inexpensive, especially if you find a sale at CompUSA or OfficeMax, you'd be better off buying a new, quality unit from NEC or other top-name maker. Just a couple weeks ago I got a top of the line Memorex unit (laugh if you want, it's very good quality) for about $29.00.

Now, just wait, Thrax is going to tell me that he replaces returned Memorex optical drives on a regular basis!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I don't really see a lot of Memorexes. All the cheap PCs come with bargain-basement drives of a nameless make and model. OF the brand-names, I've had to replace the most HP and Sony-branded drives; never had to replace an LG, Pioneer or NEC.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Although I did not know the information that Thrax posted, it does not surprise me. Dan, DVD writers have become so inexpensive, especially if you find a sale at CompUSA or OfficeMax, you'd be better off buying a new, quality unit from NEC or other top-name maker. Just a couple weeks ago I got a top of the line Memorex unit (laugh if you want, it's very good quality) for about $29.00.

Now, just wait, Thrax is going to tell me that he replaces returned Memorex optical drives on a regular basis!

I was just wondering if there was updated firmware. That drive is going into my Mom's computer which has a very old Plextor 16/10/40A CD-RW drive (close to 7 years old, still runs too). I replaced the TDK 420n (which I spent $299 at BestBuy back in Feb 2003) with a LiteOn SHW-160P6S-05 for $49.99 at Wal-Mart. Not a bad drive at that either, I've burned about 5 DVD+R DL discs in it already.

It also seems that Lite-On is a pretty good company. I have a BusLink branded Lite-On LTD-163D 16x DVD-ROM drive that I bought 4 years ago that still runs very well.