Wireless mice are like drunken monkeys

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Does anyone else hate wireless mice as much as I do? Is it just my bad luck maybe?

Every time I buy/try a wireless mouse, I feel like I'm trying to ride a bike that has a couple loose bolts. The connection is never steady enough to reliably put my mouse exactly where I want it without any jumping or lag.

I'm really disappointed as I just shelled out for a wireless MS Wireless Optical 5000 with a slick scroll wheel that I really expected to be better than this.

My 5-year-old original MS Intellimouse Explorer (the first model with the extra big forward/back buttons) is finally dying and I can't find a suitable replacement that feels the same (nice and big, curves outward on the right) and with forward/back buttons that are big enough to roll my thumb onto without picking it up. All the new ones have a ridge separating your thumb from the buttons. :grumble: I'm half tempted to try and crack open my original mouse to try and service it (the problem is the scroll wheel doesn't click right anymore - I suspect it's got something stuck under it). Yes this is a case of me being stubborn and particular and not liking this change one bit :D

Any thoughts on wireless mice that don't behave like drunken monkeys or an exceptional wired mouse to replace my old standard? :-/

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Maybe you didn't read my Logitech G7 review ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Maybe you didn't read my Logitech G7 review ;)
    Maybe you didn't notice it doesn't fit any of my criteria :p There's no forward button, the back button is small, and it's shaped like an hourglass. That puts it out of contention.

I have a perfectly nice wired OEM Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 with similar features that is wholly adequate (and way cheaper) until I find one that fits right. :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The only problem I have with Logitech is that I have bought nothing but Logitech wireless mice for the past 3 or 4 years.... and every single one of them had the docking cradles go to **** after only a couple months use, maybe up to 6 months. I have had 4 of them, they still worked... but the recharge was handicapped and that really irks me.

No more wireless for me. Though they were accurate and very nice when charged. But yeah, they also don't have allot of features, but I have gotten used to that, I don't even use hot keys most of the time.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The G7 I won at the LAN failed on me after 2 months when the left button started randomly double-clicking. The replacement fared much better, failing after 3 months. I have since switched to an Intellimouse, which I owned for 3 years prior to the G7. After that experience, I will never buy a Logitech mouse. As for wireless, I'm still on the fence.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    My wireless mice are smoother and more accurate than any wired mouse I have ever purchased. I will never go back from wireless.

No lag, no skipping, no jumping, no sluggishness.

My MX700 was 2 years old when I opted to replace it with an MX1000, and I couldn't be happier. Both mice worked flawlessly, and with a little eraser work on the charging contacts, they charged just fine and gave me days of use.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I agree with Thrax. I have both of those Logitech mice still working fine.

I did dump the Microsoft system a long time ago for being slow and jerky.

I love my MX1000. I haven't upgraded it since I too must have a forward and back button :)
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    We have gone back to wired mice. I know i will not be touching another one untill they get it right or stop making them out of garbage.

Wireless mice have been nothing but a major headache for us, shake this, rattle that, check batteries, reposition that, clean this, and press that, stuff this! Give me a $15 wired logitec anytime, drop a nuke on it and the sucker still go's. And save three dollars on a packet of Disprin!!!!!

Shal
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    My wireless mice are smoother and more accurate than any wired mouse I have ever purchased...
    I received an early Christmas present of an MX1000 and I can't seem to get it adjusted for accuracy. Even solitaire has become more difficult. I thought at first it was just a matter of getting the speed and acceleration tweaked, along with simply getting used to it overall, but after trying several different types of mouse pads and numerous combinations of settings I am stumped. :-/

Any suggestions?
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I am stumped. :-/

Any suggestions?

Yep! smash it or hang it inside the fish tank, at least the fish find it amusing.

Sorry prof, i really hate them.

Later
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited December 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    I agree with Thrax. I have both of those Logitech mice still working fine.

I did dump the Microsoft system a long time ago for being slow and jerky.

I love my MX1000. I haven't upgraded it since I too must have a forward and back button :)

Ditto, I have a MX1K that works great. I game alot so I had to replace one of the little silicone feet (got caught on the edge of my Ratzpad during a rather extreme firefight.)
    other than having to remove the occasional fuzzball/dust out of the optical port area, its been flawless.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I did the same thing as Thrax. My MX700 is still sitting in a drawer in my desk. I pulled it out the other day to use it, and it works flawlessly still. My MX1000 has been going for sometime, and I've not found a more accurate mouse, in my opinion.
    edited December 2006
    Well, after three days with my MS Laser Mouse I'm pretty satisfied with it, it just took some getting used to. I had a look at the MX1000 and it actually looks pretty close to what I'm looking for... but I think my mouse budget has been exceeded for the month :o so I'm gonna put off any more purchases til after the holidays. Thanks guys :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Well, after three days with my MS Laser Mouse I'm pretty satisfied with it, it just took some getting used to. I had a look at the MX1000 and it actually looks pretty close to what I'm looking for... but I think my mouse budget has been exceeded for the month :o so I'm gonna put off any more purchases til after the holidays. Thanks guys :)
    Let me know when you find something you like. I've been thinking about getting away from the wireless because it just doesn't respond like my usb wired from work. I've heard the same complaint from a few students in the past that it just doesn't do CAD like it should compared to the wired.
    Also ...I'm contemplating getting lighted key usb keyboard.
    edited February 2007
    The verdict is in: MS Laser Mouse 6000 wins.

It's incredibly precise and light, I like the button locations, the wheel click clicks easily, and it's easy to clean because the top is some sort of acrylic. (I tend to munch popcorn while I code, heh). I'm not entirely sold on the ergonomics, but I've moved on.

I still hate wireless, period. I'm not really even considering it.

I just broke mine (ermm, coding frustration tends to get taken out on the mouse from time to time) so I've been looking for a replacement for a couple days. End result? I'm buying another of the same.

There's a $20 off deal at NewEgg right now too. (What referral code? :range: ). The reviews on there are pretty unanimous about it, too.
  • edited February 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Let me know when you find something you like. I've been thinking about getting away from the wireless because it just doesn't respond like my usb wired from work. I've heard the same complaint from a few students in the past that it just doesn't do CAD like it should compared to the wired.
    Also ...I'm contemplating getting lighted key usb keyboard.

After struggling with the other wireless mice for so long time like others in this thread, I have recently switched to MS Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth 2.0. All of the precision and interference problems are gone, it is as smooth as my other wired mice. What I recommend is Bluetooh for the wireless protocol it is much more reliable and interference free. I have not used but Logitech also has Bluetooth mice.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I tried the Microsoft Wireless Laser Notebook Mouse 6000 and I absolutely hated it. The scroll wheel had the wrong feel, the thumb ridge that has graced every Logitech mouse I've ever owned was missing, and the buttons didn't all work without a driver installation. I bought a VX Revolution and I've never been happier (then again it did cost a lot more than the Microsoft 6000)

I think that mouse preferences must depend upon what you've gotten used to, because I can't use anything except Logitech now. ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    My Saitek 6-button, quick-change resolution, USB, optical mouse was only $12.99 at MicroCenter, and I love it...

Then again, I've never had anything other than cheap mice, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I have the first Microsoft Bluetooth Explorer (the one without the obnoxiously huge scroll wheel) and it's been awesome for me. Works on both my PC and MacBook.

At work, I use a Logitec Cordless Click! Plus. It's nice, but a total battery hog. No side buttons, but the scroll wheel has right and left tilt, so I use it to scroll horizontaly, as well as using the wheel for up and down. It's excellent for the page layout work I do.
    edited February 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I tried the Microsoft Wireless Laser Notebook Mouse 6000 ... the buttons didn't all work without a driver installation.
    That's weird; I didn't need any drivers. Maybe it's because you got the "Notebook" version? :wtf: I dunno.
    mirage wrote:
    After struggling with the other wireless mice for so long time like others in this thread, I have recently switched to MS Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth 2.0.
    I have the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 and the two things I don't like about it are that it's wireless and that the wheel click is so damn hard to press - it seriously wears out my finger and I often have to click twice. The ergonomics are definitely better than the 6000, I'll give it that (except for the forward/back button positions - they're easier to get to on the 6000). Maybe if I tried the Bluetooth version... but still that cursed wheel click :( I'd sooner have an easier click and no horizontal scroll.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I will say that my Logitech G5 performs a LOT worse with the stock drivers. When installed SetPoint, my mouse became much more accurate, especially with fine work in photoshop.
  • edited February 2007
    I have the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 and the two things I don't like about it are that it's wireless and that the wheel click is so damn hard to press - it seriously wears out my finger and I often have to click twice. The ergonomics are definitely better than the 6000, I'll give it that (except for the forward/back button positions - they're easier to get to on the 6000). Maybe if I tried the Bluetooth version... but still that cursed wheel click :( I'd sooner have an easier click and no horizontal scroll.

I agree with the wheel click; it is indeed hard and can really be annoying if it needs to be used frequently. The good part is the Bluetooth interface; as far as I see, it resolved the interference problems I was having with the ordinary RF interface.