Hello there,

I bought the following computer a couple of weeks ago:

Antec Performance One P150 Miditower,
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket
Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2
MSI GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3, Silent
Asus P5B, P965, Socket-775, ATX,
TwinMOS DDR2 PC5300 2048MB Dual Pack KIT

I never got it to boot. The computer starts up (i.e leds on etc) but after a couple of seconds it will die. Then it tries to start again, fans will start spinning but I'll get nothing on the monitor.

First I though it was a problem with the antec neoHE psu and the asus mobo (common compatibility issue) but I just got it switched for a tagan psu, still no go.

Help would be truly appreciated, I'm stuck and I simply don't know where to go.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Start with the basics:

Hard-reset the BIOS by pulling the plug from the PC, and moving the jumper next to the primary PCIe slot to clear. Pull the CMOS battery. Wait a half hour, come back, reverse your steps, and hold the <b>insert</b> key on a <b>PS2, not USB</b> keyboard before and during the PC's power up cycle.

Try booting the computer with one stick of RAM.

Make sure that the heatsink is on tightly and you're using thermal grease on the CPU's heatspreader.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    IMHO, The best way to attack a problem like this is to divide and conquer
    and to minimize the variables as much as possible.

If what Thrax recommended doesn't work......

Here's what I recommend:
    open the box

Note - Before Proceeding:
    Be mindful of taking ESD (electrostatic discharge) precautions before
    touching any components inside your computer.
    (http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm) The potential for
    damage to your sensitive electronic components from electrostatic discharge
    is very real. Your body should be at the same "potential" as the devices you
    intend to touch b-e-f-o-r-e you touch them. If not, an (invisible - you
    won't even know it happened) ESD will take place when you touch it and
    possibly damage your device.

Remove all CCAs (circuit card assemblies) not necessary for the system to
    function. Usually the video CCA (if you are not using integrated video) is the
    last remaining CCA.

Disconnect all unnecessary devices' power and data cables (optical drives,
    floppy drives, etc.) Reseat all remaining cables, etc. Reseat memory and
    CPU.

Take your memory down to the minimum no. of modules (a single module or
    pair depending upon your type of memory)

** Remember your ESD precautions especially when handling memory.
    Handle the edges of the modules only. Don't touch the ICs ("chips") or any
    circuitry on the modules. **

Disconnect all devices connected to your computer externally (printers, usb
    devices, firewire devices, etc.). You should be left w/ just your mouse,
    keyboard, and monitor connected to your computer externally.

You should be down to your power supply, motherboard, RAM, CPU, video
    CCA (if it isn't integrated) & hard drive. IOW: The idea is to take the sytem
    down to bare bones. Only hardware that is absolutely essential for your
    system to P.O.S.T. (go thru Power On Self Test) In this way, you've
    eliminated as many variables as possible.

Now, try powering it up. If it boots, start backing up - systematically adding
    back devices until you find the issue. In some cases, you may find that the
    problem doesn't return. You get all the devices re-installed and the system
    is ok.

If it still doesn't boot, consult your Asus mobo manual for directions re: how
    to clear your CMOS. Once you've done this, try booting again.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for your help guys. I tried Thrax's advice but I still have the same problem. I also tried both sticks of RAM one at a time.

Basically my system as stripped as it can be I think.

Mobo, psu, ram, graphics card, hd.

What to do now?

Edit: I didn't wait 30 min when resetting cmos though, the manual said 10 seconds so I figured that would do.
    edited December 2006
    Does the mobo have integrated video? If so, pull the Video CCA and try booting again.

If it doesn't have integrated video, do you have another video CCA you can drop in?

If it still doesn't boot, it's time to break out the mobo manual and go through it step by step to make sure it is configured properly. Although, there shouldn't be that much to "configure" as most are jumperless now. Still, give it a thorough going over.

Did this system e-v-e-r boot? If so, what has changed since that time?
  • edited December 2006
    The system never booted. Unfortunately the I don't have any spare parts so I can't check for hardware faults that way.

Tomorrow I'll take it apart and put it together again.

Is a speaker built into the mobo or do you have to have a chassi speaker?
    (Reason I'm wondering is because it seems like the mobo is supposed to have some kind of beeping code for fault seeking)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2006
    1. remove the motherboard from the case.
    2. place on cardboard and connect ram, and video card only.
    3. Connect PSU
    4. jumper the system on with a small screw driver across the pins that you would connect the power button to.

If it powers on then you motherboard is shorting to the case. If not then.

1. remove the power
    2. remove your cpu and re-install it.
    3. Re-run power on of system outside of the case.

did the machine not power on? If it did not then you probably have a bad cpu or motherboard. Also make sure your ram is of the right voltage. I have read somewhere where certain boards will only take ram of certain voltages.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Sofia, I moved your posts and the corresponding help posts over here.

Sorry, but piling on someone else's help request thread dilutes both the original poster's inquiry and your own call for help.
    edited January 2007
    Greygizmo, I moved your posts as well, for the same reason I moved Sofia's. Your posts are here now standing as their own thread.

OTHERS wishing to post in this thread, please heed:

PLEASE do NOT pile on with your computer problems in someone else's thread. It makes it more difficult for knowledgeable members to help, as the disparate calls for help all in one room become confusing. You are welcomed to start your own threads. Simply go to the appropriate forum for the topic you wish to start, look at the top left of the page for a button called "New Thread", click it, and you are on your way.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi again,

ty all for your replies earlier. To be honest with you I haven't tried getting it to run yet (been real busy), before I get going I just wonder why nobody thinks its the graphics card that is faulty. I mean since I can't get anything on screen.

Thanks,
    Jonatan
    edited January 2007
    rumpage wrote:
    Hi again,

ty all for your replies earlier. To be honest with you I haven't tried getting it to run yet (been real busy), before I get going I just wonder why nobody thinks its the graphics card that is faulty. I mean since I can't get anything on screen.

Thanks,
    Jonatan
    Actually video was addressed. Please, refer back to post #5. :cool:
  • edited January 2007
    Ah.

Just thinking about the darned thing makes me feel tired, maybe I will just hand it in to a repair shop or something :(
    edited January 2007
    rumpage wrote:
    Ah....Just thinking about the darned thing makes me feel tired, maybe I will just hand it in to a repair shop or something :(
    That's certainly an option, rumpage. The world of computers w/ respect to building, repairing and even maintaining them is not for every one. It often requires immeasurable patience and a willingness to quite frequently feel beat down, flumoxed, and trod upon - especially when you're just starting out. Those of us who stick around in the face of all that do so because we have a "love" or a "passion" for the process. If you're not passionate about this field, you're either going to be miserable or feel a failure as long as you're in it. IOW, it takes a particular personality type to be able to thrive in this field. If that's not you, then you're part of the majority. You might very well be happier letting someone else do the dirty work for you w/ respect to your computer leaving you (as with the majority of people who use computers) w/ the pleasureable task of simply enjoying it! :)

Think about it. How many people do you know who drive are also car mechanics?! :):thumbsup:
  • edited January 2007
    Good news, I predict the bootation of my computer :D.

Took mobo out of the chassi and it is coming alive.

Big thanks to you guys who have helped me. Very big thanks.

Edit: What you say is very true. The situation of having a piece of quite valuable equipment and really no idea what is wrong is very depressing.

It turned out to be the mobo shorting to the case. How do one fix this?
    edited January 2007
    rumpage wrote:
    Good news, I predict the bootation of my computer :D.
    Took mobo out of the chassi and it is coming alive.
    Big thanks to you guys who have helped me. Very big thanks.
    Edit: What you say is very true. The situation of having a piece of quite valuable equipment and really no idea what is wrong is very depressing.
    It turned out to be the mobo shorting to the case. How do one fix this?
    Ahhhh! Your willingness to get in there and fight ebbed but now it has returned......Excellent! :thumbsup:

You'll need to make sure that none of the metal stand offs are shorting outside the ring they are meant to be touching on the mobo. This ring may or may not be grounded. In any event - the case certainly is grounded. If the stand off is touching a nearby circuit on the mobo (IOW, outside the ring), then that circuit will be shorted to ground. This can cause your system not to boot, and worse, damage your mobo. (This is the primary cause of a mobo shorting to the case.)

W/ respect to the hardware used to connect your mobo to the computer case: Do not use standard hardware like metal washers, for instance, when connecting your mobo to the case. If you must use washers, use nylon (plastic) non-conductive washers. Stay w/ hardware (stand offs, etc.) designed for the job (connecting a mobo to a computer case) and you should be ok.

Installing a PC Computer Motherboard
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Look at the standoffs and the screws. You might have a screw with too large of a head and it was touching something. Some motherboard manuals tell you to insulate some of the stand offs. This is done by either using plastic mounts or by putting fiber washers on both sides of the mount.

I almost always boot a system out of the case first. Then I know that it works before I go to the trouble of mounting everything.
  • edited January 2007
    I just placed it back into the case and now it is working. I have installed XP and I only have 2 more problems to sort out (posting them in the general thread).

Thanks for you quick replies and your valuable help guys!
    edited January 2007
    rumpage wrote:
    I just placed it back into the case and now it is working. I have installed XP and I only have 2 more problems to sort out (posting them in the general thread).
    Thanks for you quick replies and your valuable help guys!
    You're most welcome and congratulations on your success!! :celebrate

EDIT://
    It would appear that whomever you purchased the computer from never even booted it up to test it after they assembled it - Much less perform burn-in (stress tests) to check the system's reliability. This reflects poorly on the quality of their workmanship (IMHO). I'd steer clear of them from now on if I were you.
    edited January 2007
    Good work, Rumpage! Glad you got it sorted outed. Stay active here. Your next computer will be the one you build yourself and you'll never go backing to buying them from a store or builder again!