Building my own PC

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I have just been given a 15" tft by a friend who had it lying around and i thought this would be the perfect opportunity to build another PC for my little bro and the rest of the family (I'm usually on mine so this will get them off my case he he)

anyway i been looking around online for some guidelines and stuff but most of the guides i have found, whilst being pretty good and informative, seem to be based on old technologies and operating systems (lots of stuff on how to start up a win 98 system with a pentium III processor, yuck)

Can anybody link me to a more current walkthrough

to give you an idea of what im looking to do

pc will have a pentium 4 processor at a minimum, possibly a core 2 duo

2 hard drives, quite large capacity

decent graphics card, preferably pci-e as i would like the system to be as future proof as possible

a good sound card, probably one that supports 5.1 as it would be nice to add a surround system at some point

dvd r/rw

1-2 gb very fast ram

plus anything i forgot

not sure if this is the right section, if its not then would someone kindly move it:thumbsup:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    So are you looking to see what are good spec's? Or are you looking for names and links to good components? If you want to see what a semi good PC is for gaming and applications check this guide. If you need part info and what will be the best price etc… just say so and I can muster something up :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Try anandtech.com
    They have guides that are very helpful.
    There is a budget one and a midrange. These get revised frequently so they do reflect current technology.
    The thing that I like is that they discuss the different alternatives for componanats and give you some examples of options.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    thanks guys but im actually looking for a retards guide on how to put the PC together

you connect this to this then this happens
    then you do this

etc etc

i mean im not completely unknowledgable

i have taken opened up my puter to re-seat ram, change dvd drive and like clean it and stuff

i just need to know what order to do stuff in once i have all my parts and stuff
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    there are a lot of them that come up in google

here are a couple
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/index.html

or you can go to http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    and select a motherboard and scroll down till you see the installation guide popup they have (same for power supplies)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/pcbuildingtips.html
    edited December 2006
    thanks sweave

i was probably just being lazy but the guides i was finding seemed really dated

thanks again :thumbsup:
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Here's another link.... In fact if you search (Google, Yahoo, etc) "buildyourownpc", you'll get lots of hits....

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

:type: Pterocarpous [a.k.a. Fruitwing]
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    Here's another link.... In fact if you search (Google, Yahoo, etc) "buildyourownpc", you'll get lots of hits....

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

thanks for the link :D
    i had that bookmarked before my format but forgot about it
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited December 2006
    djshowdown wrote:
    thanks sweave

i was probably just being lazy but the guides i was finding seemed really dated

thanks again :thumbsup:

no problem
    since i'm planning on building my own rig in a few months i had a few of these bookmarked already :)

the hardest part for me is choosing what kind of case i want
    i want a micro-tower one for easy transport but they are somewhat limited in space and capacity for me to commit too :(
    if anyone knows of a micro-tower case like this
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1385010&CatId=1508
    but with more than 4 exp slots please let me know :D
    edited December 2006
    see im gonna get a big bas**rd of a case. air will flow better and expandability is the name of the game for me

plus i wanna have space to mess around in there and not have to weave through the cables
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2006
    Why go to another forum for a decent guide, when we have them RIGHT here.

Build a PC from parts to software.
    MediaMan wrote:
    We've breathed life into many a PC here at the labs and as such we've gotten pretty good at it. A PC can be a jumble of parts one minute then with a flurry of activity like a race car pit area...before long...a working PC. We enthusiasts often forget our humble beginnings and forget what it is like to build a PC for the very first time. We forget that sometimes what we see as the simplest of tasks is intimidating territory for others. This is a complete step by step guide on how to assemble a PC from a box of parts to a working computer with WindowsXP fully installed, updated and tweaked. This guide will take you from parts to software the right way.

It isn't surprising that assembling a PC from a collection of parts then installing the OS is thought of by many as better left to the professionals. It actually is very simple and after the first time it only gets easier. Take the plunge with us for a step by step guide to assemble your PC from a collection of boxes and cables right through to a fully installed operating system. Along the way there will be handy hints and tweaks to a better build and more performance for the PC.

Roll up the sleeves and let's get to work and remember that this guide is not intended to recommend any particular brand name of hardware or software.

The same guide we used when we built our first pc.:thumbsup:

Jon
    edited December 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Why go to another forum for a decent guide, when we have them RIGHT here.
    Build a PC from parts to software.
    The same guide we used when we built our first pc.:thumbsup:
    Jon

Oh! There's a guide here? How nice! I'm liking this site more and more all the time. :bigggrin:

Joined Folding@Home. Piece o' cake to set up. Have it running on two of my systems now. Hope it helps!

edited December 2006
    oh how i wish that page formatted correctly in firefox

i hate using ie to view web pages!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yup, my system too. IE7 renders the page perfectly but it's five feet wide with Firefox.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2006
    Ietabs in Firefox renders the page's perfectly. but they could do with an update that is a Socket A build, only loon's like Me are still using Socket A.:buck:
  • edited December 2006
    Hello, I was wondering if I could post my exact specs for what I want to build here to see if anyone spots anything that is incompatible or just plain wrong? Or if this is the wrong place, maybe you know some forums where I can post my pc specs and get a bit of feedback? Thanks!
    edited December 2006
    justsuby wrote:
    Hello, I was wondering if I could post my exact specs for what I want to build here to see if anyone spots anything that is incompatible or just plain wrong? Or if this is the wrong place, maybe you know some forums where I can post my pc specs and get a bit of feedback? Thanks!

Hey! Knock yourself out! This is definetly the right place.....