Laptop wont powerup

edited December 2006 in Hardware
Purchased a CF-72Q of of ebay for someone else for business purposes. Laptop came with everything but an AC adapter and a HD(I had a HD for it). Once the laptop arived, I powered it up to see if it was functional, and it powered up fine. Not being able to deal with it for a while, and having other time issues, I then left it alone, and ordered the apropriate AC adapter. When the AC adapter arrived, I plugged it in and tried to power it up and got... nothing. Ever since that initial attempt to power up, and when I left it alone for a while, everytime I press the power button absolutely nothing happens. No lights, sounds, nothing.

Is this indicative of a bad AC adapter, a bad battery, or something more serious? The adapter when plugged in, if it does get warm is very subtley, so that its barely noticeable(and even then you arent COMPLETELY sure). The battery never is warm. I cant imagine anything got shorted or fried(certainly didnt do anything with it, and in that case wouldnt adapter still push power?).

Any ideas or help here? I also really need a cheap way to troubleshoot this(buying another identical laptop and trying out parts doesnt help).

Thanks...

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Sorry, wish I could help.

Maybe this is why the seller did not include an AC adapter - he had the same problem, or his adapter failed and damaged something in the laptop when it went out.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    To rule out an issue w/ the battery, remove it from the system then try again.

Is the adapter you purchased a universal adapter or is it one made for that particular laptop?

Also, this may seem corny and odvious (but I've seen this happen b4 so I have to say it), make sure the wall outlet you're plugging into actually has power on it.

:type: Pterocarpous [a.k.a. Fruitwing]