rounded ide cables

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited December 2006 in Hardware
are they a good idea?

in the last couple of days i have ripped open 2 seperate pc's to do upgrades and both times the lack of space has made everything take longer than it should have

ide ribbons are so bulky and annoying when you are working inside a comp and trying to find your way around

i was reading something where this guy had used rounded ide cables

he said that it was to improve airflow and stuff, on top of that i think they look better and would make accessing stuff inside the pc much easier

today i was installing my graphics card and it took ages to get the power cable sorted out due to the ide cables getting in they way

is it a worthwhile upgrade? are there any negative points?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Pros: better air flow and they look cool.
    Cons: Some people say rounded cables increase crosstalk, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

Go for it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Kwitko wrote:
    ...Go for it.
    You'll love 'em. :D
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    looks like im ordering them tomorrow

gosh

my pc is getting opened up all the time these days. these cables are quite bendy as well arent they?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yes.
    edited December 2006
    thank you
  • edited December 2006
    They're not quite as nice as SATA cables but not far off. Just a shame you can't do anything about the size of the connectors.

I'll be glad when I can replace all of my storage with SATA drives.

You could also try rounding your existing cables while you wait for your new ones to come. All you need is a steady hand and a sharp knife!
    edited December 2006
    lol

i think i'll just buy new cables instead thanks!