Real quick help needed prefetch

edited December 2006 in Hardware
hello i have just set up my computer and was looking for ways to improve performace, i saw a regedit thing to delete my prefetch on every shut down. obviously i now know this has made my computer slower but i cannot remember the regedit address and dword to change back to not do this on every shut down. if someone could direct in the right direction id be very happy. Cheers

shaba

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

REG_DWORD Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown (0 = Disabled clear / 1 = enabled clear)

Or if you really meant prefetch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

DWORD Name: EnablePrefetcher (0 = Disabled / 1 = Application Launch Prefetch / 2 = Boot Prefetch / 3 = Prefetch All )
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    There's no conclusive proof that clearing the prefetch speeds up your computer. On the contrary, it takes Windows extra time to repopulate the prefetch list if you delete it.

On the other hand, as Thrax said, if you actually mean the pagefile, clearing it at shutdown isn't a perfomance enhancer, but a security measure. Old data, like passwords, can remain in the pagefile.