sigs gone???

mondimondi Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Community
or is it just me ??? none seem to show up

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Sigs have been temporaly (sp) disabled. Normal service will be resumed shortly. ;)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    They are back ;)

Just to wake Keebler up and get him to take a peek at his code.

He fixed it fast.

Thanks Matt! :respect:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Heh, no prob. It may only be a temporary fix though. I copied in stats from the 19th to get it working again.

I think Stanford decided to screw with their stats server again. The sig code REALLY hates it when it can't find their time stamps :hrm:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Ah, so you dissabled all sigs due to F@H sig issues?

Need some better catch-all error handling in those sigs Keebler, they are a bit to volatile to be honest.

NS
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Yeah; it's a good idea if we don't disable S-M every time the stats server screws up.
    edited October 2003
    Exactly.

It's a simple choice. I have 4 options..

1) Remove the $signature variable from the post template (quick and easy temporary sig removal, seconds to remove and put back in).

2) Go through every member and manually remove all folding sigs code (about an hours worth of work).

3) Shut down the forums until the code is fixed. (Not practical).

4) Use the VBulletin option to disallow sigs (which in turn clears the database of ALL signatures and requires every member to redo their sigs when the folding sig code is functional again).

I choose 1 for simplicity, minimal hassle and minimising the impact on the members here :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    It seems that sigs are still fux0red. The page gets stuck at the first folding sig in the thread. It hangs at 99% unless I reload the page. Also, sigs are showing old stats. Mine has me at less than 15,000 points, which is wrong since I just passed my 15K milestone.
    edited October 2003
    I know the stats are old. I had to replace it with Oct 19 values just to get the damn things working again.

I realize the sigs are volatile. I also realize that this is almost certainly because Stanford keeps changing their damn stats server. :mad: I also realize that I only understand about 70% of how the sigs work (more than anyone else but Lasse I suspect) so coding in more error safeguards would be very tedious for me. I also realize this is the hardest semester of school I've ever experienced so I don't have the same amount of time I did over the summer to mess around with it. If there's a problem, sigs will go until Stanford gets its act together. Simple as that. I have a 2 page paper to write in the next 45 minutes, so it will have to wait a bit longer.
    edited October 2003
    I once took a look at the sigcode. Ouch :banghead:

General K, you have worked hard on getting them to work at all. Kudos for it mate. Concentrate on your life stuff first.

The sigs are pretty and cool to have, when they are ready to make a return, then can do :)

:respect: GK
  • edited October 2003
    Yeah, we can live without our folding sigs for a while until you have time to muck with it, m8!:D

Stanford really should try to let people know before they go fuxoring everything up, as usual.:rolleyes2
    edited October 2003
    I'm about to shake an angry fist at them now. I am done with class for the day so I can concentrate on getting it working again. I've shot off an e-mail to Lasse about adding/modifying a timeout on the sigs. I swear there's one in there, but obviously it isn't working right.
    edited October 2003
    Ah ha! I pwned those stats good ;D (I'm knocking on wood now, because generally as soon as I declare a coding problem solved, 3 more pop up :rolleyes: )
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Hey, ya fixed it! Great work, GK... now if we can only get Stanford to stop changing the server... :rolleyes:
    edited October 2003
    I'm starting to think it was a random code malfunction. Not sure what it was. I've given Shorty instructions on how to reboot the system if it happens again so whoever gets to it first can fix it and there's no waiting.

//edit

It was either a file failing to delete properly, or a garbled transmission from Stanford. In either case, I don't know how to guard against it. I will consult with Lasse on the matter.
    edited October 2003
    Update: part of the error-handling code was commented out by yours truly over the summer while I had to update them manually. It wouldn't work without disabling that bit then, but after I fixed it all I forgot to uncomment it. :banghead: Yeah, there was great error-handling built in, I just nuked it is all... *sigh*