Is it ok to buy an open box monitor from NewEgg?

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited December 2006 in Hardware
Is it a good idea to buy an open box monitor from NewEgg? Do you think its too much of a risk buying an open box item because it might be damaged in some way?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    They wouldn't be selling it if it was a dud. Newegg isn't going to risk their reputation on junk products.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited December 2006
    Does it come with full warranty? If so, there's nothing to worry about anyway.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    It doesn't include any of the stuff that the retail version has (VGA and DVI cables, power cord, software CD).

And:
    Open-Box Items

* Return for refund within: 15 days
    * Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

Versus:
    Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
    * Return for replacement within: 30 days

This is our Detailed Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy. Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg.com within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same item.

The open box items don't seem to have a warranty since you have to bear the costs of any repairs.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited December 2006
    Based on that information, I would pass. It might work perfect for a long time, but I wouldn't risk it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If it's open box, that may mean it has a couple dead pixels. Newegg's return policy for the cause of dead pixels is eight. As for me, I won't accept a monitor with even one dead pixel. There are a multitude of computer parts I have purchased and will continue to purchase online, but a monitor is not one of them.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    if it was cheap enought I would go for it. But take in mind that in 30 days it could die on you... But I would 98% trust Newegg on the deal :)
    edited December 2006
    Well, the monitor I want is $50 cheaper as an open box item. However, I prefer the retail version anyway.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    for the sake of $50 (roughly £25 - £30 here in uk) i would say buy the fresh one

the cable alone is gonna cost you a few dollars on top of which you get no warranty and the possibility of dead pixels

i would buy the new one every time
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I'd call them and ask them if it includes the cables and if it has any dead pixels.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    I got 2 open box sceptre monitors from them within the last year. Both came with the cables (DVI, POWER, VGA) The NAGA III had the manual and original packaging, the NAGA II had no manual but everything else. Neither had dead pixels until I sent the NAGA III back to the manufacturer for a firmware upgrade. It came back with one stuck pixel, bottom left hand side. Other than that, both look exquisite. I am not going to say that I was lucky, just that after buying many other open box items from newegg, I have yet to be left down (just waiting to check on an ASROCK motherboard I recently purchased).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I too have purchased open box items from Newegg, never with a problem whatsoever. I've saved a tremendous amount of money that way. For me though, to purchase an open box monitor - I'm just not brave enough. In the last two years, I've purchased three flat panels - three on really good sales at CompUSA or Best Buy, and one from Donut, a great trader here at Short-Media.
  • edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    If it's open box, that may mean it has a couple dead pixels. Newegg's return policy for the cause of dead pixels is eight. As for me, I won't accept a monitor with even one dead pixel. There are a multitude of computer parts I have purchased and will continue to purchase online, but a monitor is not one of them.

Agreed, 100%!!! I have friends that have bought LCD monitors online but I want to be able to bring it back locally if it has dead or stuck pixels.
    edited December 2006
    Well, I've already purchased the retail version of the BenQ FP202W on Friday night.