Inexpensive Laptop Recommendations

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Ok. My old IBM Thinkpad iSeries running XP Pro (started w/ '98 years ago) is just too danged slow anymore. I can't do anything else to improve the speed as far as I know. RAM is maxed out. CPU's a lock.

I'd like another IBM but can't afford it. Wondering what folks are recommending for an --> inexpensive <-- laptop these days. I don't need any software. I have everything I need. A DVD burner would be nice but not imperative. It doesn't have to burn rubber. I have my desktop systems for workhorse stuff. I'm not a gamer so that's not a consideration. The key is *cheap but reliable* hardware. I'll take care of the software end.

I'd like to keep the old IBM laptop as its been one helluva workhorse. N-e-v-e-r had any hardware problems w/ it. How hard would it be to get Linux OS running on it?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2006
    dell + ebay for a $3 30%off cuppon = ~$800 gaming laptop
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    Armo wrote:
    dell + ebay for a $3 30%off cuppon = ~$800 gaming laptop

Hi Armo

Sorry to take so long to get back to this. Thank you for your reply. Doesn't look as though I'm going to get anymore feedback on this.

I've never purchased (or sold) anything on eBay before. In your post, what does "$3 30%off cuppon" mean? I get the gist that somehow I can p/u a LT for $800 on eBay.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2006
    Yeah check eBay, i was looking at a laptop on eBay and priced it on Dell's website and it came up to ~$1500 and got it for $1000. Just do your research on eBay before making any purchases. Make sure your getting your moneys worth, check the shipping price before buying (alot of people like to jack up shipping prices to make up for low cost items), and most importantly make sure that the user has a good rating, especially for a high dollar purchase such as a laptop.
    edited December 2006
    Squill wrote:
    Yeah check eBay, i was looking at a laptop on eBay and priced it on Dell's website and it came up to ~$1500 and got it for $1000. Just do your research on eBay before making any purchases. Make sure your getting your moneys worth, check the shipping price before buying (alot of people like to jack up shipping prices to make up for low cost items), and most importantly make sure that the user has a good rating, especially for a high dollar purchase such as a laptop.
    Thank you Squill. I went to eBay earlier tonite and poked around there. There are a lot of Dell's there but they're expensive. I checked Dell's site, too and, sigh, I guess I'm gonna have to give up some real cash for what I want. I was wanting an Inspiron. My roommates just bought Inspirons and I like them. There are lower priced LTs on eBaylike HPs and Gateways but the tech in me won't let me buy one. I've just seen too many crappy desktop PCs of those brands to want to take a chance on one of their LTs. There were a couple more off-brands, too. One brand that kept popping up was "Alien" - where the he** did those come from? (pardon the pun) Oddly, I didn't see a single Acer. I may have missed them.

Thankyou for the advice re: eBay purchasing. I really appreciate that. Some of the items had an "Insufficient Reserve" button. What does that mean? When you bid, do you have to have the $ in some kind of escrow? I do have a paypal acct w/ a few $ in it just to keep it open.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2006
    are you looking for a gaming laptop or an all-around laptop?

you can get all around laptops for ~$500 or so, newegg caries some pretty decent ones. the few things that really crank up the prices on laptops are: intigrated vs dedicatied video card, dedicated is used for games. total ammount of ram, you wanna go as high as possible, i reccomend no less than 1 gig, and screen size.

check newegg for some more options
    edited December 2006
    Armo wrote:
    are you looking for a gaming laptop or an all-around laptop?
    you can get all around laptops for ~$500 or so, newegg caries some pretty decent ones. the few things that really crank up the prices on laptops are: intigrated vs dedicatied video card, dedicated is used for games. total ammount of ram, you wanna go as high as possible, i reccomend no less than 1 gig, and screen size. check newegg for some more options
    Thankyou Armo. I'm not into gaming and such so that's not a consideration. The most I'd do w/ video is play DVDs. I just want an "all around" LT like you said....Internet, Wordprocessing, other office-type apps. I don't really need a workhorse. I have my desktop systems for that. I do want the reliability and longevity I've enjoyed for years of my current (albiet out-dated) IBM Thinkpad iSeries. Basically, unlike my desktop systems, I use my laptop as a convenience and for non-business work & entertainment. I can plop down on the coach or my bed or sit in and Internet cafe w/ a LT.

Yes, you're right, the monitor is a device that can really drive up the $ of a LT. I'm not worried about RAM or HD capacity. I can shop for good deals on both those and install them at a later time for less than it would cost to get them from manufacturer, I think.

What I have to decide on up front is the monitor size and processor. I checked out eBay, newegg, Acer, Asus, Dell, & Lenovo/IBM last night to get an idea what's out there. I'd like to pay less than $1k so I'll really have to shop around for a deal.

A lot of the lower priced LTs I was seeing had Celeron processors. I come from the old days where Celeron's were crappy crippled Pentium's and I guess that's stuck w/ me. Don't know if they're ok now for the kind of uses I plan for a LT. There were a no. of LTs w/ AMD processor's, too but I'm not familiar w/ the LT AMD processors though I've always been an AMD fan.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Don't get a Gateway!... junk

I've used a number of laptops of different brands. I am most impressed by the IBM Thinkpad. That's one solid, well built machine. Small, but it feels larger than it is. Next would be Dell. I've limited experience with an Apple Power Book too. Nice, but not worth the money.

EDIT: I am neutral on the Lenovo Thinkpads. I have not tried them, only the IBM versions.
    edited December 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...Don't get a Gateway!... junk...
    I wouldn't think of it! HP/Compaq either. Sony's are ok, though. Toshiba's I'm iffy about. Asus sells LTs. I've never worked on one though. I've always like their mobos and wonder if their mobo quality carries over to their LTs too.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I've used a number of laptops of different brands. I am most impressed by the IBM Thinkpad. That's one solid, well built machine.
    I know. Best danged LT out there - at least it was years ago when I bought this one. I'm spoiled. I want my LT to be especially reliabile as I don't have the flexibility and options when it comes to repair & upgrades that I do w/ my desktop systems.
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...Next would be Dell. I've limited experience with an Apple Power Book too. Nice, but not worth the money...
    Right, I agree. I checked out the Dells and their prices are close to the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. The Dells are nice machines, too but given a choice between an IBM & Dell LT, it's IBM hands down.

As for Apple, that's a hole can of worms I don't want to get into. They cost too danged much! In fact anything having to do w/ MACs/Apples is bloody expensive - software, hardware, etc. I'd like to learn the OS but I'm not willing to lay out the cash - short and long term.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't think of it! HP/Compaq either. .

HP's ARE GOOD STUFF TOO BUDDY!!!!!!:beer:
    edited December 2006
    maxclark wrote:
    HP's ARE GOOD STUFF TOO BUDDY!!!!!!:beer:

lol Sorry Maxclark! If you have an HP that plays nice then that's just f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s! You just keep on keeping on regardless of what schmucks like me say 'bout your pride n joy 'puter! :bigggrin:

On a more serious note, I've worked on all brands of computers and, in my experience, the HP/Compaq's (desktops) in the consumer market tended to be poor performers and unreliable. Their business class systems are another matter. As for their laptops, in the past I've seen real design, heat, and performance issues in their laptops. Admittedly, I haven't kept up. They may well have come 'round and resolved those issues - building more reliable computers. If so, I promise to eat my hat! :)
    edited January 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I am most impressed by the IBM Thinkpad. That's one solid, well built machine.

He is right, we get alot of Thinkpads at work and they all seem to be the best running laptops that come into the door. They are well built, they have alot less problems then other laptops. I highly recommend an IBM Thinkpad.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I highly recommend thinkpads as well. I've only ever had to fix one, and it was a BIOS reset.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I highly recommend thinkpads as well. I've only ever had to fix one, and it was a BIOS reset.
    Tha's why I'm so bent on saving up my pennies and getting another Thinkpad. I've literally kept this thing on (unless I'm taking it somewhere) for months at a time. I've rarely turned it off. The thing is a tank! I've never had to work on a Thinkpad either ('cept mine when upgrading and such) and I've only needed to perform repairs on a handful of IBM desktops (usually user-induced problems).

I am wondering though....has their quality remained intact w/ the switch over to Lenovo? Ya'll heard anything?
    edited January 2007
    Everything I'm reading says that's the case. TheInquirer.net has had several articles reporting amazing customer service in the last few months. :D
    edited January 2007
    He is right, we get alot of Thinkpads at work and they all seem to be the best running laptops that come into the door. They are well built, they have alot less problems then other laptops. I highly recommend an IBM Thinkpad.
    Are you including Lenevo Thinkpads in your statements?
    edited January 2007
    IBM or Lenovo Thinkpads. I've seen plenty of each; very well made. Their uncomplicated, spartan design must do something for 'em.
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    IBM or Lenovo Thinkpads. I've seen plenty of each; very well made. Their uncomplicated, spartan design must do something for 'em.

So are b-o-t-h IBM and Lenovo manufacturing Thinkpads now??? :scratch:
    edited January 2007
    The thinkpad division was purchased by Lenovo from IBM last year. IBM spun off its PC arm to focus on the enterprise market, amongst other things.
  • tommie-jtommie-j im here...i'd like to be there(see web site)
    edited January 2007
    i just recently(well oct-nov.) picked up a fujitsu S7110 from newegg for $1,200 bucks. it came with 512 gigs of ddr667 but for $47 i bought another512mb stick of ram.these new lifebooks have the core2 duos and you cant beat the price. i replaced a toshiba p31.1ghz and im more than happy to recomend the lifebooks.i did opt for the extra modular bay battery($150) giving me over 7 hours of battery life)
    tommie j
    edited January 2007
    We had a huge shipment of IBM laptops (roughly 10,000 laptops) and we had about 400-500 that needed warranty repairs, and let me tell you Lenovo was great about it, we'd finish up say 60-75 in one day and 2 days later we had all the prepaid shipping boxes for them. Ship them out, and then 3-5 days later we had the repaired laptops. I was surprised how well they were even with us sending that many laptops to them.
    edited January 2007
    Very encouraging. Hopefully their support is just as good for the consumer as for the enterprise sector.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'm pretty sure I remembered reading that all that happened with the IBM to Lenovo transition was that the people involved got new business cards.

Pterocarpous: if this is the same IBM you had me looking for a keyboard for, I think you should know that that particular model was ODM'd by AOpen (which is why that keyboard is a PITA to find). IBM only did that back in the Aptiva days and haven't done it again since the T20 series came out.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited February 2007
    drasnor wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I remembered reading that all that happened with the IBM to Lenovo transition was that the people involved got new business cards.

Pterocarpous: if this is the same IBM you had me looking for a keyboard for, I think you should know that that particular model was ODM'd by AOpen (which is why that keyboard is a PITA to find). IBM only did that back in the Aptiva days and haven't done it again since the T20 series came out.

-drasnor :fold:

Well, fooey! I assume what you mean by ODM'd is "outsourced" or something like that? Dad burn it! I really want my little track point (stick) back. Oh, well. I sure appreciate you're taking the time to look, Drasnor.

Other than that it's (was) a helluva laptop. She's just an old lady now (like her owner) and just can't keep up w/ these youngster operatings systems and applications. :sad2:
    edited February 2007
    Drasnor, I think you're correct. If I remember correctly, most of IBM's PCs and laptops were built by Lenovo before Lenovo bought the brand rights from IBM.