out of Ideas

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Ok I got a P5P800 SE and the processor, ram came with the board,went and got all the parts needed powersupply,video card,sound card
got her together BUT there's always a but
so this but is she fires up I can get into it to set the boot setup and I have the cd rom as first
I put in a window cd and she says
"reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press enter"
So I put in the UBCD and get the same both these cds work on my other pc and open by them self so I don't think it's the cds.
So next I replace the cd rom with the burner out of my pc(I know it works) and same thing so I tried the cd rom from my pc (I know it works) and the same.
Ok so now I'm lost
I checked the wires and all are where they should be and tight.
So any ideas will help I think I maybe overlooking something but can't see
what it could be

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    got her together BUT there's always a but
    so this but is she fires up I can get into it to set the boot setup and I have the cd rom as first
    I put in a window cd and she says
    "reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press enter"
    So I put in the UBCD and get the same both these cds work on my other pc and open by them self so I don't think it's the cds.
    So next I replace the cd rom with the burner out of my pc(I know it works) and same thing so I tried the cd rom from my pc (I know it works) and the same.
    Ok so now I'm lost
    I checked the wires and all are where they should be and tight.
    So any ideas will help I think I maybe overlooking something but can't see
    what it could be

Look aqain at this one highlighted part please.

Tell me if you have:

1) SAVED the BIOS settings after setting BIOS BOOT device settings first;
    2) use the older wire with the older CDROM drive?
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Look aqain at this one highlighted part please.

Tell me if you have:

1) SAVED the BIOS settings after setting BIOS BOOT device settings first;
    2) use the older wire with the older CDROM drive?

Yes I saved setting before exit
    and the wire (gray flat) is new
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    Yes I saved setting before exit
    and the wire (gray flat) is new

Hello DogDragon

How many optical drives (CD or DVD drives) are in this system?
    How many devices are connected on the new "gray flat" cable you mentioned (it is called an IDE cable)
    How are the drives that are on the new IDE cable you mentioned "jumpered"?

If there is only one drive on the cable, it should be connected to the end of the IDE cable - the connector fartherest from the motherboard. (Note: The end connector should never be left open as this may cause "ringing" or "signal reflections"). The single drive should be jumpered to either MASTER or CS (cable select)

If there are two drives connected on the one IDE cable, they should both be jumpered to CS
    -OR-
    One jumpered to MASTER (the drive on the connector in the middle of the IDE cable)
    The other jumpered to SLAVE (the drive connected at the end of the cable fartherest away from the motherboard)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I always only use one CD drive when doing an install. I set it for master and instaled at the end of the IDE cable.
    Look at your other boot options, there may be something else that will work.
    edited January 2007
    Hello DogDragon

How many optical drives (CD or DVD drives) are in this system?
    How many devices are connected on the new "gray flat" cable you mentioned (it is called an IDE cable)
    How are the drives that are on the new IDE cable you mentioned "jumpered"?

If there is only one drive on the cable, it should be connected to the end of the IDE cable - the connector fartherest from the motherboard. (Note: The end connector should never be left open as this may cause "ringing" or "signal reflections"). The single drive should be jumpered to either MASTER or CS (cable select)

If there are two drives connected on the one IDE cable, they should both be jumpered to CS
    -OR-
    One jumpered to MASTER (the drive on the connector in the middle of the IDE cable)
    The other jumpered to SLAVE (the drive connected at the end of the cable fartherest away from the motherboard)

Ok there's one harddrive set prime master and one cd rom set secondary master no slaves on them. Both set to master and both IDE cables are new
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    Ok there's one harddrive set prime master and one cd rom set secondary master no slaves on them. Both set to master and both IDE cables are new

Hmmmmm. Is the CD-ROM drive actually being detected in the BIOS?
    IOW, does the BIOS detect the CD-ROM drive by it's model no.?

Is the hard drive being detected by its model no. as well?

This is a new motherboard w/ SATA and RAID, right?

Have you disabled RAID? (I'm reaching here. :scratch: Lemmee go look at one of my systems' BIOS and get some ideas (hopefully)

BTW, what brand BIOS is on your system?
    edited January 2007
    Well, I looked at my system that has SATA and IDE built in. (Asus M2V motherboard) RAID is available only on SATA.

I didn't see anything in my system's BIOS that gave me any ideas other than to re-iterate:

Make sure the CD-ROM drive and the HDD (on secondary and primary IDE channels respectively) are being detected in your BIOS and identified by their manufacturer's model number.

That the boot device order is configured as you intended.

RAID shouldn't be an issue as it's probably only available on the SATA channels and you're not using SATA.

At this point, I'm stuck, too. :confused2 You can try restoring the BIOS defaults. Also, another thing to try would be to clear the CMOS. (Let us know if you need help w/ either of these.)

Finally, you could swap the primary and secondary IDE devices (won't hurt anything) Then, check the BIOS settings again for the boot device order.
    edited January 2007
    Hmmmmm. Is the CD-ROM drive actually being detected in the BIOS?
    IOW, does the BIOS detect the CD-ROM drive by it's model no.?

Is the hard drive being detected by its model no. as well?

This is a new motherboard w/ SATA and RAID, right?

Have you disabled RAID? (I'm reaching here. :scratch: Lemmee go look at one of my systems' BIOS and get some ideas (hopefully)

BTW, what brand BIOS is on your system?

the cd rom is id in the bios and so is the harddrive and they show
    as they should prime and secondary masters.
    the motherboard was gotten from someone with processor and ram.
    I gruss maybe this will help here some more for you
    AMIBIOS VERSION :0301 build date :09/30/05
    Processor Intel (R) pen d cpu 2.666hz
    speed 2666Mhz
    count 2
    sys mem
    size 1024 MB
    that what comes from sys info that I can see
    edited January 2007
    Thankyou DogDragon,
    Please go ahead and follow the recommendations in my previous post. (Unless someone else has another idea - anyone out there????)

Try restoring the BIOS defaults.

If that doesn't work, clear the CMOS.

If you need help w/ any of the steps I recommended, just let us know. We'll step you through it.
    edited January 2007
    Ok can set bios back
    resetting cmos that deal with the jumpers right?
    I'm not sure with that and for changing them around from
    cd rom secondary to primary tried that.
    but will keep you posted on if restoring the bios help
    Thanks
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    Ok can set bios back
    OK, try that
    DogDragon wrote:
    ...resetting cmos that deal with the jumpers right?
    Right. Do you know how to do that ok?
    DogDragon wrote:
    ...I'm not sure with that
    Do you mean that you are not sure about how to clear your CMOS?
    DogDragon wrote:
    ...and for changing them around from cd rom secondary to primary tried that.
    You already tried that, right?
    DogDragon wrote:
    ...but will keep you posted on if restoring the bios help...
    Yes, please. Just let us know if you need any help doing any of these steps.
    Good Luck! :)
    edited January 2007

Do you mean that you are not sure about how to clear your CMOS?

Yes, please. Just let us know if you need any help doing any of these steps.
    Good Luck! :)
    right not sure on clearing cmos so jf you can walk me through it I'll try it.
    I restored default setting and still in the same boat right now the motherboard
    cd is it it and it's not reading it and I have cd rom set as boot first
  • tommie-jtommie-j im here...i'd like to be there(see web site)
    edited January 2007
    this happened to me before,more than once.one time i had the cmos jumper set to clear,so every time i rebooted it never saved(not sure how the pc even ran like that) another time the cmos battery needed to be replaced.
    tommie j
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    DD,

On an off chance, check your IDE connections and make sure a pin didnt get bent. (I'm grasping at straws and a poor memory) change your cable, new doesn't always mean good. also check the cable is orientated correctly. (#1 wire to #1 pin)

In the Bios, disable all raid functions. (they may be on by default)

I think the clear CMOS jumper is by the SATA ports,:scratch:

Did I send the manual? (I thought I did) it should have the clear CMOS in the book, along with the location of the jumper.

Personally I think it's on the CD rom end. (everything is recognized in the bios)

If nothing is still working, remove everything from the case and try again.

What did you end up getting for a PSU?
    edited January 2007
    Donut wrote:

If nothing is still working, remove everything from the case and try again.

What did you end up getting for a PSU?

Power Up / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply

Try without the case?
    I'll try new IDE cable I have a few more
    yes went and looked in the book cmos is resetted
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    Without the case is kind of a last ditch effort. In my own dumb way I've had enough problems with the mobo shorting on a standoff to build them outside the case first, then when everything runs, put them in a case (sometimes;) )

In your system bios, check your voltages. (should be in hardware monitor)
    the only reason I mention this is the Pentium D's are power-hungry pigs.

Are all the power connections plugged into the mobo?

to explain a little, it's possible when the cd-rom attempts to spin up, it's could be pushing the psu over the edge. (Yes, I'm still grasping at straws.:p )
    When I tried this set-up with a 420w Thermaltake PSU, it pulled the 12v rail down to about 11.4v. This PSU was and is powering a dual Opteron rig.
    edited January 2007
    Donut wrote:

In your system bios, check your voltages. (should be in hardware monitor)
    the only reason I mention this is the Pentium D's are power-hungry pigs.

CPU TEMP 108.5 F
    MB TEMP 78.5 F
    POWER TEMP 115.5 F

VCORE VOLT 1.272V
    3.3V Voltage 3.36V
    5V Voltage 5.068v
    12V Voltage 12.144v

welll temp looks good and the Voltage look ok
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    I don't know what to tell you DD. I'm stumped.

All I can say is try to strip everything out and try it again outside the case.

I realize your set-up is pretty basic now, but try it with one stick of ram and an old PCI vid card (if you have one).

btw temps and voltages look fine so far. When you get Windows loaded, use Asus probe, and check them while running 2 instances of prime 95. This should put you at max load and temps. I would highly recommend this before loading FAH.
    edited January 2007
    why old video card this one working ?
    Ok take her down and do it again can do
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    I was thinking of the power requirements. I have an old pci card that has never failed on me yet. If you KNOW your card is good then keep it.

Before you strip the case, try pulling the add-in cards etc. to get it to a minimum. If that doesn't work, then pull the board from the case.

hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions.
    edited January 2007
    ok n/p
    Got a starting point, didn't have anything to do it's raining anyhow
    and going to be Saturday too
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    DD,

If you get really bored, list everything you have done so far. If you cursed at the board, list it. This way we can see if anything was missed.
    edited January 2007
    Donut wrote:
    DD,

If you get really bored, list everything you have done so far. If you cursed at the board, list it. This way we can see if anything was missed.

Ok,I took the beast out of her home and than took everything else out of the case.
    Now, I know I'm going to bring this beast alive out of her home and while
    taking thing off her. I started to think "Hmmm without the case how am I giong
    to start this beast cause without the case there's no power button? Well deal with
    that later."
    So now the heart of the beast is setting on my pc desk, I left the CPU & thermaltake(fan)
    on didn't see no reason to take them off. We know that area works fine.
    So Than I picked up the powersupply and started by pluging the ATX 12v connector in
    than the 24 pin ATX power connector.
    Than I seated the ram I went ahead and put both back I can always pull one if I
    have to.
    WAIT! Found something I think the book says "When using 800 MHz FSB CPU PC2700 DDR
    DIMMS run only at 320MHz(not333MHz) due to the chipset limitation. I know it was running at 333MHz
    So Donut need you here what is the front side bus 800MHz or 533MHz or how do I find out?
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    why old video card this one working ?
    Ok take her down and do it again can do

Hey DogDragon,
    This is a common trouble-shooting tactic when we are just plain flumoxed. The idea is to eliminate as many variables as possible. That's why we strip the system down to bare bones - even setting the build up outside the case if necessary. We connect externally only what is absolutely necessary (keyboard, video, & monitor). We swap out the RAM, systematically testing the modules (1) at a time in each bank or slot. We change the video card if for no other reason than it is part of the mix we are trying to sort out. If we experience the same issues w/ a new video card, then we've (possibly) ruled that out. It's all about process of elimination, deductive reasoning and systematic (and documented when necessary) trouble shooting. I know I've been in some knock down drag outs where it gets so bad I don't remember what I've done, what order I did it in and in what combination w/ other variables I might have tried a particular step. This is when I resort to documentation as I go along. (...not to mention a modicum of swearing followed by praying to the computer gods...then back to swearing again...it's a-l-l-l-l part of the process...:smiles: )
    edited January 2007
    hey Pterocarpous
    I have n/p with redoing it BUT I did find something the book says
    "When using 800 MHz FSB CPU PC2700 DDR
    DIMMS run only at 320MHz(not333MHz) due to the chipset limitation. I know it was running at 333MHz.
    what is the front side bus 800MHz or 533MHz or how do I find out
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    hey Pterocarpous
    I have n/p with redoing it BUT I did find something the book says
    "When using 800 MHz FSB CPU PC2700 DDR
    DIMMS run only at 320MHz(not333MHz) due to the chipset limitation. I know it was running at 333MHz.
    what is the front side bus 800MHz or 533MHz or how do I find out

Not my area of expertise sorting that out. Others 'round here can rattle that stuff off the top of their heads. 'Till they put their two cents in, here are some online references on FSB...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus
    http://www.directron.com/fsbguide.html
    edited January 2007
    To the best of my knowledge this is going 2b determined by your motherboard and chipset.

For more info on FSB....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

+ Check the specs on your mobo.

Well the book say this motherboard supports different memory frequencies depending on the cpu fsb and type of ddr dimm
    800MHz pc3200/pc2700/pc2100 400/320*/266MHz
    533MHz pc2700/pc2100 333/266MHz
    When using 800 MHz fsb cpu pc2700 ddr dimm run only at 320 MHz not 333MHz due to chipset limitation
    SO how do I know?
    I know it did run at 333MHz when I started and couldn't load windows
    so how do you turn it down to 320MHZ I guess is my question
    that's right from the book
  • edited January 2007
    you are pressing a key to 'boot from CD...'' right?

sorry, ignore that, its says ''...or insert media'' :crazy:
    edited January 2007
    DogDragon wrote:
    Well the book say this motherboard supports different memory frequencies depending on the cpu fsb and type of ddr dimm
    800MHz pc3200/pc2700/pc2100 400/320*/266MHz
    533MHz pc2700/pc2100 333/266MHz
    When using 800 MHz fsb cpu pc2700 ddr dimm run only at 320 MHz not 333MHz due to chipset limitation
    SO how do I know?
    I know it did run at 333MHz when I started and couldn't load windows
    so how do you turn it down to 320MHZ I guess is my question
    that's right from the book

Sorry DogDragon.... you got me there. :confused: Hopefully one of our HW experts will help you sort that out.... I'm all ears, too. (I'd like to know as well...)

----
    Hey ya'll!!! We're stumped here. Need some help, please.....! :aol:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    DD

It's a 533fsb part. (Pentium d805). 20*133, with 20 being the multi. 133=fsb
    533=133 quad pumped for Intel. (I think)

IIRC-the D820 series and up are 800fsb parts