Computer doesn't 'see' all of new harddrive

MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Bought a WD800JB 80gig HD to replace a dead Seagate and fdisk only sees 10gigs of it. It's an old KT7 mobo that I flashed to A9 bios and installed last 4 in 1's (433's) to. What am I missing?

The only reason I posted here is due to the fact that my daughter uses this for her homework and I'm running out of time screwing around with it.

I have the bios set to LBA and Auto detect. The post screen 'sees' the 80 gig drive, so what am I missing?

Thanks, MGK :confused:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    How is the drive jumpered?

//EDIT: Great to see you, MGK. :)
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited January 2007
    Howdy Thrax! Long time bro.
    I had it as master, then took it out to try it as cable select. No difference.
    Could it need 80 pin cable?
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited January 2007
    I came across a computing.net article from 2001 that linked me to this http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/fdisk.htm, that linked me to this article from Microsoft's knowledge base which states: "Microsoft has identified an issue when you use FDISK.EXE to partition a hard drive that is larger than 64 GB (64 gigabytes, or 68,719,476,736 bytes) in size. It seems that the original Win98 and Win98 SE versions of Fdisk reports the correct size minus 64 GB. You can read more about this bug and download a patch with an updated version of FDISK.EXE in this MS Knowledge Base article. The patch is meant to be applied after Win98 is installed but this is of little help if you are doing a clean install with a hard driver bigger than 64 GB. Here's how to replace the FAT32EBD's FDISK.EXE with the updated version in those cases."

So I will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks Thrax for the reply.:cool:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    Please note that the WinNT (NT4 Sp6/2K/XP/VISTA) Fdisk does not have this problem
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    MGK - great to see you! You should drop in more often.