Stupid n00b RAID question...

2»

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Unfortunately, that is the one thing that really sucks about 2000 & XP, you must have a floppy to load at the "Hit F6 to load a third party SCSI or RAID driver" during the Windows install :(
  • Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
    edited January 2007
    is there any possible way to do it w/o a floppy? what if like I used nlite or something of the sort?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Unfortunately no easy way of doing. You could build yourself a customised OEM installation CD of your windows CD. It is possible but it takes a fair amount of trial & error to be honest.

Buy a floppy, stick it in temporarily hanging out of the case. Do ya Windows install (don't forget to press F6 when prompted when the install starts!). Once Windows is done, you can disconnect the floppy and store it incase you ever want to reinstall windows another time :)
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If you have mostly newer machines to deal with I picked up a USB floppy for just problems. I just plug it in the front USB jacks and I'm off. Sometimes you have to play with the bios settings, but usually it just works.

Makes life much simpler :cheers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103510
    edited January 2007
    So I stole the floppy drive out of my sis's computer and have it hanging out of the case and all and I've booted from my ASUS motherboard cd and select format Diskette and I get errors. I think that there is something wrong with the floppy drive because I put it back into my sis's pc and it wouldn't format while in windows... I think I might try a USB thumb drive? thanks guys! I hope to figure this out!! Just there will be no way without y'all's help!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I've tried a USB thumb drive under several different BIOS settings. Could not get it to work for the F6 trick. I hope you are successful. The good news is that floppy drives can be had for very inexpensive. Just don't go to an office store. Those people still think floppy drives are special.
    edited January 2007
    haha, yeah. It will read, but I can't get it to write the drivers I need... I'll mess with it tomorrow...
    edited January 2007
    I'm working on a slipstream disc right now, it's worth a try...
    edited January 2007
    Ok, so thank all of y'all for the help! I made a slipstream disc with Nlite and it worked great!! Windows is installed, and I am now installing the video drivers and all the programs that I mgiht possibly need!