? Verdict on GPU folding??

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
How powerful is it?
What can you get out of a X1950pro?

I am building another machine (C2D) that I will keep and I will give one of my NF7-S to my wife.
I was thinking of getting a 1950pro for my X2 box, but is worth the $200? I don't need the video card for any other reason. I haven't gamed in 10 years.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    From what others are reporting... GPU folding is MUCH faster. As for the question you posed... is it worth it? Depends. Is $200 gonna keep you from feeding, clothing, and providing shelter for you and your family? Then no, it's not worth it. ;D

Some of the other guys can help with the specs and stats...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    No one will go hungry, but are they really cranking out the points, and will a 1950pro cut it?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2007
    Got an X1900XT here at stock speed and running 2D speed's pulling about 400PPD, if I used ATI TOOL/TRAY TOOL could probably bump it up to 700-800PPD, but having gone for the budget 256Mb card it was not worth the hassle, as it is in my main internet machine. The rest of the Spec: Asrock Dual SATA, 1Gb pc3200,AMD X23800 folding on one cpu core as well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Ed, don't know if you've checked out Folding Community Forums' threads on GPU folding. Here's a starter:

GPU Client/Core Issues
    Poke around in the forums and file find a few threads with users documenting production on various cards.
    edited January 2007
    Well, I did it.
    My new rig will be a C2D E6300 and it will get my old X800GTO2.
    I am also getting a nice new X1950PRO that will go into my DFI X2 box. I will only loose one AMD core in the trade.

And my wife will get one of my NF7-S boxes and finally retire her KT7A.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Nice! Major upgrade for both Mr. and Mrs. Ed.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited January 2007
    Unless you consider using Linux.... you can make better PPDs with a SMP on that X2 (and save 200 bucks) than going to GPU folding, loosing one X2 core, and using more electricity.

Its always down to YOUR choice. ;)
    edited January 2007
    Not hardly UltraN, unless I have missread the posts a X1950PRO will easily make more points than half of my X2.
    Isn't that what your Rig#1 is? One CPU client and one GPU client? Doesn't it produce more than running two CPUs on that box?
    I don't worry about the power, it runs in my office!
    edited January 2007
    Yes... I used to run one cpu and one gpu client under Windows... but I moved to Linux (Suse 10.2) as my main desktop OS and now I run the SMP client on it.... Of course a gpu client by itself will out produce even two instances of a console client (under Windows that is) but the SMP under Linux out produces even a gpu client plus a cpu client and consumes much less energy.
    edited January 2007
    I didn't realize that the linux SMP client had come so far.
    I have enough trouble with windows, I am not adding another OS.
    edited January 2007
    Its still early BETA, but the PPD production surely pays off. :D