random shut down

edited January 2007 in Hardware
i have a Asrock SktA K7VM3, 2x 512 pb1 pc3200, ti 4800 and a athlon 64 2800+. i had a hacked copy of xp pro but found my legit windows xp home and tried to install the home over the pro. my bro said he has done it done countless times at his office but at about 90% on the install it came up with an error. (this was all yesterday). i got my processor today and installed it but the fan it came with wont fit on my socket. i no the processor works with my motherboard but im jsut not sure why the fan wont fit....so i used my old fan for a 1700+ and its overheating and turning off. so i took a lil fan lying around my house and put it to blow on the processor and it worked for a good 40mins while i reformatted the hd and got 20% into windows home when it turned off. I think its my fan on the processor that is causing the over heating but im not 100% sure, and could it be that i put my heatsink glue stuff on wrong? if someone could help me out that would be awesome because im afraid to keep turning it on and off trying to figure it out, lol, i dont want to ruin anything on my baby =D

Comments

• edited January 2007
    err sry the new processor is an amd xp 2800+
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Your assumption about the heatsink/fan unit is correct. If it doesn't make absolutely flush contact with processor, you will at a minimum have severe heat buildup problems. Worst case is that you destroy the processor.

Did you apply any thermal interface material between the processor and the heatsink? Thermal paste is a necessity.
  • edited January 2007
    yes i did but i have never added it to a processor before so i could have done it wrong. i added a dot onto the top of the middle of the processor(it is a lil higher than the rest of the chip) adn then used a plastic bag to spread it around and the fan seemed to fit smoothly on it but i will check it again jsut to be sure
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hello kell_tainer. Welcome to Short Media!

This word document might prove instructive w/ respect to applying heat sink compound (thermal paste, thermal compound, etc) between your heat sink and your CPU.
    http://www.pcviper.net/ThermalCompoundInstructions.doc

The most important thing to avoid is applying too much of the compound/paste. Doing so could cause the compound to ooze out the sides and onto your motherboard. Not only is it messy but, more importantly, heat sink compound on your motherboard could prove disastrous. What makes these compounds work is their capacity to conduct heat. The same properties that enable a particular heat sink compound to conduct heat could make it electrically conductive as well. It would depend upon the compound's composition. So, you can see why you wouldn't want it on your motherboard!

As a rule of thumb, just be sure to apply the heat sink compound sparingly. A little dab'l do ya. :D

----

Regarding a fan for your CPU HSA (heat sink assembly), please, note.... Not only do you need one that fits your CPU/Socket form factor. You need one that is rated to support your processor. Different speed processors w/in the same family will run at different operating temperatures. Your HSA needs to be rated to have the cooling capacity that your processor needs.

----

In addition, if you're going to use an HSA w/ a fan assembly, make sure the fan is a quality one - using ball bearing rather than needle or sleeve bearings.

----
  • edited January 2007
    k thanks a lot man =D, i got it figured out but now my bios is all screwed up, lol. had to switch motherboards =(