2 computers folding for me/ bad for lap top?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
Seeing how i just got my new lap top and my dad has his own so the desktop computer is almost unused, ive decided i want to set the desktop to fold like 24/7 and my lap top to be folding a lot too............

but ive been leaving my laptop on lately, i just set up a screen saver to prevent image burn (by the way is that really true or is that only on older monitors?) and plug it in and leave it on all night and when and im not using it or i dont need to take it anywhere. (its plugged in 99% of the time"

so here are my questions

1. do two computers folding make me complete WUs faster or slower?

2. do the two computers work on the same 1 WU at a time or seperate ones?

3. could leaving my laptop on (even though its got a screen saver) damage the screen?

4. Could leaving my laptop plugged in for a long time ruin the battery?

thanks in advance:cool:

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited January 2007
    Seeing how i just got my new lap top and my dad has his own so the desktop computer is almost unused, ive decided i want to set the desktop to fold like 24/7 and my lap top to be folding a lot too............

but ive been leaving my laptop on lately, i just set up a screen saver to prevent image burn (by the way is that really true or is that only on older monitors?) and plug it in and leave it on all night and when and im not using it or i dont need to take it anywhere. (its plugged in 99% of the time"

so here are my questions

1. do two computers folding make me complete WUs faster or slower?

2. do the two computers work on the same 1 WU at a time or seperate ones?

3. could leaving my laptop on (even though its got a screen saver) damage the screen?

4. Could leaving my laptop plugged in for a long time ruin the battery?

thanks in advance:cool:
    1 & 2)Two computers do not make work units complete faster or slower as they will be working on two different work units.
    3) Just close the lid. :)
    4) I hope not. I leave mine plugged in all the time.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    thanks a lot. thats all i needed to know. but one more thing. when i close my laptop it shuts off completely. can i change that in the settings somewhere?. i dont know much much about laptops but i would like to close the screen witout losing info and having to reboot when i open the screen.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Yes, right click on the desktop, select properties, select screen savers, and then click the "Power" button. I will give you different options for power savings.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    ok i thanks a lot, i like this a lot better:Rocker:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    And if you lappy gets too warm you can go back into the configuration for folding and set the CPU usage down to 80%.

If you want to leave you laptop open (mine cools better that way) just set the screen to turn off after a couple of minutes.