Sudden jump in cpu heat?

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I've had a random jump in cpu heat starting from a few days ago. It idles around 33-34 when it used to idle around at 30, and will top off around 41-42 when on full load.

I haven't done any oc'ing on this chip yet because I was planning on using it for a month before doing anything to it. It's been a month and a half and I was getting ready to start playing around with the chip, but now that this has come up it doesn't look like i'll do anything to it yet.

Any ideas on why it might be doing this? I haven't done any hardware changes since the cpu upgrade and I did a dust clean up just incase it might have been that. It worries me to see my temperatures jump so dramatically. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

PS: The chip is an opteron 148 if anyone was wondering. I'll post any additional info if needed. Btw is the 148 known to run hotter than the venice 3000+? Because I remember my venice 3000+ running around 28-29 on idle.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Possibilities:

1) you moved the computer and the intake air is warmer now than in the previous location
    2) the heatsink fan or heatsink has reached a threshold of dust accumulation
    3) computer intake fan(s) have lost efficiency due to dust or a fan(s) have stopped spinning
    4) the heatsink is no longer seated correctly on the CPU
  • edited January 2007
    that isnt too much hotter.
    It realy aint bad. if you were to overclock it it may only go up 5 degrees,.
    I would compensate that with a more highend heatsync/fan assembly.
    I would also advise to check your case air flow conditions. some people install case fans backwords and thus cancleing-out the benifits of the case or cpu fans...