Where to find HDD PCB's?

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm looking for a PCB for a diamondmax 9 160 GB drive. There's actually no (useful) data on the drive, I'm just looking to add more storage cheap, and I have this drive that's fine physically, but there's something wrong with the pcb.

I've tried ebay, but it's really no cheaper than buying a new hdd.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    The only thing I can think of right off would be to try and buy an identical defective drive cheap.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Swapping PCBs is never recommended. Even for the same exact model of drive, there are subtleties in the drives that marry that particular PCB to that drive.

I was looking for a replacement PCB myself and nobody sells them.
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Swapping PCBs is never recommended. Even for the same exact model of drive, there are subtleties in the drives that marry that particular PCB to that drive.

I have done it many times with great success. It helps to match the revision number of the PCB to the old one, but even that is not always necessary.

What's the risk if he can buy a drive with bad sectors for $5 and use it to get a 160GB drive back? (I'd guess that it's about five bucks.) ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:

The only risk I have with swapping pcbs is that it doesn't work, and I've wasted how ever much money I spent on it.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You'll notice that many PCBs are soldered to the drive and can't be removed.
    edited January 2007
    I'm holding them in separate hands right now (and typing with my other 2 hands). Take off 5 torx screws, and it's obvious that they are designed to be replaceable/interchangeable (between exactly the same drives). I'm not saying that every maxtor diamondmax 9 160 gb hd pcb will work, but that there are replacements that will work.
    edited January 2007
    You hate me, don't you?
    edited January 2007
    Dear Mr. Kwitko:

I hate you with the burning passion of a thousand fiery demons. Please FOAD.

Love,
    shwaip

ps:
    <3
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    You hate me, don't you?
    I wouldn't use the word "hate". :(

"Loathe" is more like it. ;D

(I keed.) :wave: