Need answer to printer config question FAST

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I'm @ habitat for humanity, trying to set up an old HP LaserJet 5SiMX printer to run on the network. It has a built-in 10bt/token ring print server, which is connected to a generic 10bt hub along with a client. The hub plugs into the wall, and that all plugs into a Linksys BEFSR81 router. 3 of the other computers plug into a Linksys 5 port switch, which plugs into one of the ports on the Router. The other computers plug directly into the router. The computers are auto-assigned an IP from the router using DHCP, and the printer's ip is 192.168.1.211. The Router's internal IP is the default IP- 192.168.1.1. I can ping the printer by going into DOS and typing ping 192.168.1.211, but Windows does not see it. Any help would be appreciated, and I kinda need to get this done within the next 2 and a half hours...
Thanks.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Is there anyway you can connect this locally to a machine and let everyone map to it ? That config sounds kinda suspect-o.. with the age of the machine :(
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    I can connect it to a computer... it has a parallel port, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a high-volume laserjet... :banghead:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    They can't see it because that printer is not broadcasting SMB. You have to connect to it by mapping a TCP/IP printer port: Since this is an emergency, I'm really hoping you're using WindowsXP:

Add Printer --> Local Printer --> Create New Port --> Standard TCP/IP Printer Port --> Type in IP.
    edited June 2003
    yea I'm using XP. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that here in a second...
    edited June 2003
    prime; thanks, that worked :celebrate

jdii: :scratch: whaaaa? most of that went over my head. networking guru I am not. I can tell you tho that:

1. the printer's internal jetdirect ps is only 10bt
    2. I doubt anyone would notice the speed difference (trust me)
    3. I don't have a choice, 'cause a 10bt hub is all they have available and they don't want to spend any more $$ and I don't have a free port to plug the printer into...

If I can get ahold of another 10/100 switch tho, i'll err, "switch" out the hub ;)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Yeah its best to not have a network printer on a hub esp one that slow since with hubs every computer on the hub gets every bit sent to it whether it requested it or not.

I have done what prime said many times at school. Both this way and sharing printers in every OS after 95 (suck for Networking).

You get kinda good at it after adding a new network printer in a library. Create the port, install, make software point to that port and so on.
    edited June 2003
    I knew that all devices on a hub got all the packets, but I didn't think it would be a problem...

o well, there's only the one printer and 1 computer on it, and they only use the network for internet access anyhow, so if it's a problem, I'll change it when they complain about it. If they don't complain, I'll leave it, because that's $40 or whatever that they don't have to spend...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    w00t! Glad I could help....

i r s0 l33t today!