My computer blew out - literally! Was it XP standby?

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Help help!

Having just put Win Xp [home] on my old [3 yrs] computer a couple weeks ago, I put it in standby mode last night for the first time as I was also working on a notebook at the same table.

when I tapped the keyboard to get it out of standby, it was dormant for a moment and then literally blew out!! AACK!
There were sparks, cracking, a 'pop' noise' and the smell of sulphur.

WTF??

Before I attempt to re-boot, and for fear of electrocution, can someone give me an idea of what might of happened and how to approach this safely??

Oh, its plugged into an APC surge bar and none of the other electricals were affected, so I think it wasn't a power surge.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Your power supply blew up. Chances are, it took something important with it. Don't worry about safety - just unplug the whole mess.

A new power supply can run anywhere from $30 to over $100. For a 3 year old computer (also, we need to know if it's a Dell - they may have used proprietary power supplies), it might not be worth it to replace it if the PSU blew up the motherboard as well - it might be cheaper to go out and buy a new computer
  • edited January 2007
    Ok, that seems to make sense.
    Would this be related to a surge coming out of standby? Its the only 'new' thing going on there.

And nope, its not a Dell. Its a cloned box.

How do I find out whats ruined?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    It's true, Dell does manufacture some computers that are non-standard form factor. If yours is one of these (or another manufacturer's non-standard form factor (proprietary) computer), then the issue PrimeSuspect pointed out may well come into play. Dell's towers, on the other hand (in my experience) are the least proprietary of the pre-manufactured desktop computers out there. I've had success installing industry standard PSUs into Dell towers in the past. If it's just 3 y.o. and a tower model Dell PC, chances are good the PSU can be replaced w/ an off-the-shelf PSU.

But, like PrimeSuspect said, it looks pretty grim for the rest of the components inside.
    edited January 2007
    Sarina50 wrote:
    ...How do I find out whats ruined?...
    That's good it's not a pre-manufactured (made up of proprietary hardware) computer. This increases your chances of being able to salvage the system - at least in part.

Well, the 1st thing you need to do is a thorough physical / visual inspection.
    • Disconnect everything that is connected to the outside of the computer. (Cables, power cord, etc.)
    • Place it up on a table, bench or something (so that you have easy, comfortable access to the inside of the computer) and open the case.
    • Disconnect all of the PSU connections and remove it from the case (As PrimeSuspect pointed out, it's dead for sure.)
    • Get a flash light and look around for odvious scorched or burned wires, components, devices, etc. (Look over the PSU as well.)
    • After you've done that, post back here and let us know what you've found.
    • We'll help you w/ the next recommended steps based on your findings.
    BTW (by the way): Take a look at the outlet, power strip, surge suppressor or UPS your computer was plugged into as well. It may also be damaged.
  • edited January 2007
    Ok, propped open the box and suprisingly, other than the smell of an electrical charge [mostly coming from the power supply], there aren't any noticeable charred, burned or singed wires!

I wonder if this means bits are salvageable?

Thoughts guys?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Most PSU's are designed to fail without damaging the components, but it will depend on what caused the failure.

From the sounds of things, the fuse or one of the VR's burnt inside so it was probably just an internal PSU thing...which is good because I doubt anything got to your PC that way.

I would say find another PSU and fire away...I have a strong feeling, everything or most everything in the case is fine.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    There can be catastrophic damage to microcircuitry that is not immediately noticeable. A power supply unit blowing like that may or may not have taken out other key components because of a significant power surge that may have been released throughout the computer. Let's hope not, but it is certainly possible. Just prepare yourself for the worst.

Please look closely at the PSU. Please post back for us the model number, serial number, other pertinent information, such as wattage, than can be seen on the large label.

EDIT: Ryder and I were writing our posts at the same time. What he said. You may or MAY NOT have damaged other parts. The request for information on the label is so that we can guide you for a proper PSU replacement.
  • edited January 2007
    HAving spoken with a local comp tech guy, I'm thinking it may be the motherborad now. Thats the 2nd power supply in 3 years. eep.

But FYI, PSU info:
    ATX psu; PSIV-400-2
    set to 115V [optional 230v on switch not selected]
    no seiral, but a CSA#181513

Hmm. The plot thickens

Motherboard info:
    ASUS P4S533-E
    edited January 2007
    Sarina50 wrote:
    HAving spoken with a local comp tech guy, I'm thinking it may be the motherborad now. Thats the 2nd power supply in 3 years. eep.
    But FYI, PSU info:
    ATX psu; PSIV-400-2
    set to 115V [optional 230v on switch not selected]
    no seiral, but a CSA#181513
    Hmm. The plot thickens
    Motherboard info:
    ASUS P4S533-E
    If you're blowing out power supplies, I'd look at the power coming in to the computer along w/ the quality and ratings of the power supplies you are using. Whether you manage to salvage this system or decide to build a new one, I strongly recommend that you invest in a quality power supply and UPS.

A properly rated, stable & cool power supply and UPS are integral components of your overall system composition. Please, visit [URL="General Hardware Thread: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53524"]THIS THREAD[/URL] for information re: power protection.

Following are a few links re: how to choose a power supply as well:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thats the 2nd power supply in 3 years. eep.
    The lady's comments above are worth noting. She may be right, but it may also be that your computer has had poor quality power supplies installed each time. You can have two different brands of power supplies, both with the same power specifications, but one might be quality, and the other so poorly built that it is designed only to last one or two years with very light loads. I visited a computer shop here where I live, looking for discarded PSU components (tinkering). I was appalled at the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel quality of PSUs that shop was using for customers' computers. Frankly, I didn't know that such poor quality power supplies were even manufactured. I am NOT accusing your computer technician of doing so - just pointing out that a power rating on the unit isn't even half the story.

If the technician will be installing a new power supply for you, I recommend that before you authorize the work, you get brand name, model number, and wattage rating of the intended power supply from him first. Then post here and let us give you an opinion. Some shops think they are doing their customers a service by installing cheap power supplies to save money. Trust me, that is NO service.
    edited January 2007
    Great anecdote, Leonardo (re: your visit to a computer shop). There really is some awful crappy stuff out there that is pawned off as high tech computer equipment. The sad part is the general public are lulled into a false sense of security by believing they've purchased reliable equipment by getting sufficient specs/ratings. By and large, John & Jane Q Public don't consider the quality at all when purchasing computers or computer-related equipment. I don't know why not, though. We certainly know that performance ratings and quality are points to consider when purchasing a car... Why not the same w/ computers?

Quality is most assuredly a primary consideration for both the PSU and the UPS. (Here! Here! Leonardo.) Both of which are very important to the safety and reliability of ones computer. :thumbup
  • edited January 2007
    Thank you everybody for your replies and assistance!
    I'm going to be taking a break from this thread for the next week or so while I try to figure out what to do with my mess of a machine. When I have more of a specific question I will post again.

For now, I have to go back to using a loaner IBM ThinkPad which has been wonky ever since it acquired the Generic2 Trojan...but that's another thread ;-)
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53635
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Sarina,
    If you are somewhere that you can easily purchase a PSU you might give it a try.
    I have three power supplies on my desk now. One is a generic 600W, but it is very light and the combined 3.3V+5V is only 160W.
    the second one is an Antec 350. It is heavier, and the 3.3V + 5V is 180W.
    The third one is a Thermaltake 450. It weighs more than the other two combined and has a 3.3V + 5V rating of 220W.
    Guess which one I like. Yes, they are in reversee order of 'goodness'.
    If you buy the PSU from a computer store like CompUSA you might even be able to return it if it turns out that the whole machine is toast.

Two rules for computer happyness.
    1. always used a UPS
    2. don't skimp on PSUs