Stress Prime 2004 Orthos Errors

PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Ok, my newest (ASUS M2V mobo) desktop has started rebooting periodically in the last week or so. I haven't caught it in the act. I use a KVM and everytime (when I'm at the computers) I'd be switched into another system when I'd hear the tale tale beeps of it rebooting. I'd also find that it'd rebooted overnight when I checked on the systems in the am. (It'd be at the OS choice window (I run multi-boot on my desktops)) Otherwise I'd never know it happened.

Yesterday I disabled Fold@Home to see if that was the culprit. It got through the night w/out rebooting but still, sometime today, it rebooted again. I started a run of SP2004 Orthos Blended mode and almost an hour into it, it failed.

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 767 Time: 15
CPU: 2399MHz FSB: 200MHz [199MHz x 12.0 est.]
1/20/2007 3:47 PM
Launching 1 thread...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.
Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
Test 2, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT length.
Test 3, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19374367 using 1024K FFT length.
Test 4, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19174369 using 1024K FFT length.
Self-test 1024K passed!
Test 1, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using 8K FFT length.
Test 2, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M163839 using 8K FFT length.
Test 3, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M159745 using 8K FFT length.
Test 4, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M157695 using 8K FFT length.
Test 5, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M155649 using 8K FFT length.
Self-test 8K passed!
Test 1, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M212991 using 10K FFT length.
Test 2, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M210415 using 10K FFT length.
Test 3, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M208897 using 10K FFT length.
Test 4, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M204799 using 10K FFT length.
Test 5, 560000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M200705 using 10K FFT length.
Self-test 10K passed!
Test 1, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M17432577 using 896K FFT length.
Test 2, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M17432575 using 896K FFT length.
Test 3, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M17115073 using 896K FFT length.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
Torture Test ran 59 minutes 52 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
Execution halted.

Switched to the StressCPU - stress CPU with Gromacs core
2007-01-20; 1704 PST

So far, it's been running for nearly an hour w/ no errors...

I'm thinking a RAM issue. I'm intertaining other ideas if offered, too though.

TIA!

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Temps? Try putting a fan directly blowing onto the mosfets.
    Give more system and cooling details please!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Good pt. to consider, csimon. However, the case is actually wide open and it's down right chilly in here. I do, however, have overheating problems w/ this system in the summer, though. Just in case, I'll check the temps reported in the BIOS. There could still be a CPU cooling issue... I'll report back....
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    BTW, exactly which mosfets are you referring to?

(Details re: the system core are in the pics)
    edited January 2007
    BTW, exactly which mosfets are you referring to?

(Details re: the system core are in the pics)

Ah ...the pics! :scratch:

Odd ...there are nine (no punn intended).

Ah I think I see the pics you mean.:banghead:

Which ram slots are you occupying? Is it memtest stable (just to get that out of the equation)?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Ah ...the pics! :scratch:...Odd ...there are nine (no punn intended)...Ah I think I see the pics you mean.:banghead:...Which ram slots are you occupying? Is it memtest stable (just to get that out of the equation)?
    :doh: !! Thought I'd loaded the pics in my initial post. I did go through the steps to load them I swear! Oooops! Figured out what was wrong. Was trying to upload bitmaps. Too big... Ok, here they are. (More on the next post re: the two RAM modules.)
    edited January 2007
    CPU 40C/104F
    MB 46C/114.5F
    CPU Fan >/= 3068RPM
    VCore = 1.360V
    3.3V = 3.360V
    5V = 4.999V
    12V = 11.612V

Memory slots 0 & 1 populated

----
    Failed Blended test again less than 3 minutes into the test
    Pulled RAM off slot 1
    Running test again...
    ----
    Still would like to know which mosfets you're referring to??? :nudge:
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Ah ...the pics! :scratch:
    Odd ...there are nine (no punn intended).
    Ah I think I see the pics you mean.:banghead:
    Which ram slots are you occupying? Is it memtest stable (just to get that out of the equation)?
    Woooops! Ok, took a closer look at the pic. You circled the voltage regulation circuitry. Bunch o' caps, ICs 'n such. Amongst which are mosfets (a type of transistor), I suppose . Ok. I gotcha now.... :wink:
    edited January 2007
    Woooops! Ok, took a closer look at the pic. You circled the voltage regulation circuitry. Bunch o' caps, ICs 'n such. Amongst which are mosfets (a type of transistor), I suppose . Ok. I gotcha now.... :wink:
    Sorry I should have been more clear. It's the flat black thingies!
    You mb (sys) temps seems awefully high. perhaps the fan should be directed at the northbridge instead.
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Sorry I should have been more clear. It's the flat black thingies!
    Ahhhh. Ok. Gotcha!
    csimon wrote:
    ...Your mb (sys) temps seems awefully high. perhaps the fan should be directed at the northbridge instead.
    What should the mb temps be do you think? I'm not getting any warnings in the BIOS re: temp and such. It should beep when the temp goes outta range (I think). Ahhh, hell. Lemmee see if I can find the manual... For now, I've got this monster fan (the only one I have) that I'll turn on and try and cool it down... :grumble: Damn cold in here already. Hate t' have t' turn that hurricane on... but it's gotta be done I reckon.... :grumble: (startin' t' get cranky about this....)

In any case, the plot is thickening. I've now tried both memory modules (512) on slot 0 and in ea case, only a few minutes into the test (Blended) the system reboots! CRAPOLA!!! :werr: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BTW, thanx for hangin' in there w/ me csimon. I really appreciate it. :smiles:

PS: "Flat black thingies" = flat pac ICs = mosfets, yes?
    edited January 2007
    PS: "Flat black thingies" = flat pac ICs = mosfets, yes?
    Definitely!

Why not just run the Large FFT's ...that's all Blended is doing anyway for the first few hours I think.

Are you testing the ram overclocked?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    ...Why not just run the Large FFT's ...that's all Blended is doing anyway for the first few hours I think....Are you testing the ram overclocked?
    {donning her snow suite...}

Allrighty. brrrrrrrrrrrrr I'll ttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy ttttttthat.......

Gonna try runnin' the test in Safe Mode, too.

EDIT://
    Sorry I missed your question. No, not over-clocking. All configuration is pretty much generic (outta the box).

(1) SATA HDD running off of mobo SATA controller
    (1) Combo SATA / IDE controller - w/ 1 IDE HDD in removable bay attached.
    edited January 2007
    Ok, don't know why I didn't think of this b4. I've booted into my XPPRO build instead. Running the test from there. Lessee what happens. Maybe the RAM issue is a red herring... :rolleyes2
    edited January 2007
    Ahhhhh!!! Hells bells!! It's failing there, too. (in the XPPRO build) Definetly a hardware problem! :banghead:

Runnin' the Large FFTs test now.
    edited January 2007
    OK, 6 mins into the Large FFTs test the system locked up. Shut the system down. Gonna let it cool down. Try again in about an hour (w/ monster fan blowin' into the case) :werr::rant: :shakehead :bawling: :mad2: :grumble: :banghead: :sad2:
    edited January 2007
    edited January 2007
    You better run memtest86. Something isn't right.
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    You better run memtest86. Something isn't right.
    Just this minute started it. I tried both memory modules in both slots 0 & 1 (one at a time). System still failing badly. I just swapped out the PSU. Still rebooting on me. That's when I booted to memtest86. I got a bad feelin' it ain't RAM, though.....

We'll see.....I'm going to let this cook but I don't think it's gonna fail. Do you know of a test I can run on the CPU from CD or floppy? I really want to test the hardware independent of the OS...

Thanx again csimon!
    edited January 2007
    Hang on! Gonna have t' eat my hat! Bl**dy RAM is already failin'. Gonna move it to slot-0. Why in "h" "e" double toothpicks would both my RAM modules fail like that?! Only thing I can think of is a power event that I didn't know about.

Anyway.... sigh.... Still interested, though if you know of bootable CPU diag.

TIA again!
    edited January 2007
    Maybe AMIDiag but I've never used it.
    Do you have other ram to try?
    Have you set bios to fail-safe?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Maybe AMIDiag but I've never used it.
    Do you have other ram to try?
    Have you set bios to fail-safe?
    Unfortunately I don't keep extra RAM any more. Too many different types of RAM out there. Gets expensive to keep it in stock. I just buy it on an as-needed basis.

Fail-safe mode? Hmmm.... I'm not familiar w/ that. What does it do? (I've gotta break down and read my motherboard manual... (118 pages) :rolleyes:)

EDIT://
    I looked up AMIDiag. Whew! Pricey! :eek2:
    edited January 2007
    Oh just read the bios section in that case!
    Fail safe mode sets everything to default ...fail safe settings.

Have you tried more vcore and lowering the mem divider?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Oh just read the bios section in that case!
    Fail safe mode sets everything to default ...fail safe settings.
    Have you tried more vcore and lowering the mem divider?
    Oh! I see what you're talking about. It's not called "Fail Safe" in this BIOS. I haven't run across a BIOS where it's called that b4. I have often seen it called "Optimized Defaults" or "Default Configuration (or "Settings"), etc., though. So, "YES", it's at the "optimized defaults" or "fail safe" configuration.
    ---
    Well it looks as though the problem is the motherboard. I have two 512MB RAM modules. I've tried each in slots 0 & 1 (w/out the other installed). In every case so far, BOTH modules pass MEMTEST86 in slot 0 and BOTH modules FAIL MEMTEST86 in slot 1... Will have to take the system in for warranty repair on Monday. (I have a local co. here custom-build my systems so I get a warranty on the parts.) The 1-year warranty should still be in effect.

I'm going to boot back into one of the OSs now and run Orthos Blended w/ ea. RAM module installed to slot 0 (alternatingly) to make sure my theory is correct.

Thankyou for hanging in there w/ me, csimon. I've really appreciated your feedback and suggestions. :smiles:
    edited January 2007
    Oh! I see what you're talking about. It's not called "Fail Safe" in this BIOS. I haven't run across a BIOS where it's called that b4. I have often seen it called "Optimized Defaults" or "Default Configuration (or "Settings"), etc., though. So, "YES", it's at the "optimized defaults" or "fail safe" configuration.
    ---
    Well it looks as though the problem is the motherboard. I have two 512MB RAM modules. I've tried each in slots 0 & 1 (w/out the other installed). In every case so far, BOTH modules pass MEMTEST86 in slot 0 and BOTH modules FAIL MEMTEST86 in slot 1... Will have to take the system in for warranty repair on Monday. (I have a local co. here custom-build my systems so I get a warranty on the parts.) The 1-year warranty should still be in effect.

I'm going to boot back into one of the OSs now and run Orthos Blended w/ ea. RAM module installed to slot 0 (alternatingly) to make sure my theory is correct.

Thankyou for hanging in there w/ me, csimon. I've really appreciated your feedback and suggestions. :smiles:
    Did they sell you the ram too? Just curious. Have them test that too while they're at it. It's not ecc or buffered or whatever is it?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Did they sell you the ram too? Just curious. Have them test that too while they're at it. It's not ecc or buffered or whatever is it?
    Yes, the whole system. No, not ecc. They'll test it themselves b4 honoring the warranty, I'm sure.
    edited January 2007
    Yes, the whole system. No, not ecc. They'll test it themselves b4 honoring the warranty, I'm sure.
    Did they sell you a complete rig or in parts?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Did they sell you a complete rig or in parts?
    I choose the parts and pay them a nominal fee to build it for me which gives me access to their system warranty. W/ the warranty, they'll trouble-shoot the issue and, if it turns out to be a hardware issue, will replace the hardware. If I buy the parts and build it out myself, I don't get the system warranty. It's $30 or so well spent to have them build it (this current issue a case-in-point). (In additon, building a system is a PITB to me. It lost its allure for me years ago.)

As far as the issue, so far I haven't been able to follow through w/ testing Orthos in blended mode as I'd planned.

I moved RAM module "B" (I've labeled them now to keep up w/ what I've done) to slot-0 from slot-1 w/ the intentions of proving my theory re: a bad slot-1. (by running Orthos in blended mode & expecting it to pass)

When I tried to boot back into my XPPRO build, however, it would only boot to my XPMCE build. When I tried to choose to boot to my XPPRO build from the OS Selector w/in my XPMCE build, it rebooted on me. Threw in the towel and am now restoring the last HDD image (created 12-21-2006).

This won't have anything to do w/ the MEMTEST86 failing but it will address possible file corruption, etc. (possibly caused by the memory problems.) that could be compounding the problem.
    edited January 2007
    Hmmm ...don't they test their builds? :scratch:
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Hmmm ...don't they test their builds? :scratch:
    Yes. The system's been fine for 6 months. It just started acting up last week.
    edited January 2007
    Well then ...sounds like you're gonna get your $30 worth.
    Did you try bumping the voltage or have we been there already?
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Well then ...sounds like you're gonna get your $30 worth.
    Did you try bumping the voltage or have we been there already?
    Not sure what you mean by that exactly? Exactly which levels are you talking about?