Looking for an OCable C2D mATX board

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Title says it all. I've scoured newegg through the G965 and G945 boards, but none of them are very good. Any ideas, chaps?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thrax, I don't have a specific recommendation for you but do have advice. If you do find an overclockable mATX board and intend to overclock with it, you will probably need to modify the board. Most likely the board you find (if any) will have inadequate MOSFET and northbridge cooling. I've burned out two motherboards, both of which were supposedly designed for overclocking - but not at the level I do it. One of them scorched the electrical traces underneath the MOSFETs (underside of the board) near the I/O cluster. RMA was accepted as there were no sale stipulations against overclocking. The board was an Asus downsized ATX board, not mATX, just a narrow version. Don't remember what that format is called. I really doubt you'll find an mATX designed for more than just a light or moderate overclock. The small cases those boards are designed usually aren't used by overclockers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    The overclocking I'd be doing will not be extravagant; if I have to adjust the voltage more than two steps up from stock, it's not going to get done. Just looking to get some extra juice. An E6400 will run a 333MHz FSB without voltage changes for a cool 2.66GHz on the cheap, for example. :) I can even <i>drop</i> the voltage of the CPU to do that!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Looks like P5LD2-VM SE and VM DH are decent.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1959377&postcount=16

Quote from another post in that thread:

Q: is the 2 MBs the same at oc?

A: while P5LD2VM DH has more bios tweak (vMCH, vDIMM), YES!
    Both MB have the same overclocking capabilities!

That is all I have found so far.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I've actually overclocked on the P5LD2-xx. Hmm, didn't know that board was updated to accept Conroe. It actually was a decent board until the MOSFETs roasted the traces underneath. If I remember correctly, the board I had didn't have the same MOSFET sink that these newer P5LD2s have. But yes, it overclocked easily. Thrax, that's a good point about voltage boosts for Conroe. Yes, I've heard that several times before but forget - Conroes overclock very well often without vCore boosts. I'm inclined to agree that the boards suggested above would be good choices for you. The P5L series is just one step below the P5W series, which are Asus' flagships for tweaking.
  • edited January 2007
    If vcore settings are not given in the BIOS you can use VID mod. It works on every motherboard.