Identify and replace . . ?

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I have fried a component on my MSI mobo by dropping my metal framed magnifying glass on it while it was running; looking for the s/n to type in an online form I was filling out at the time :( I shut down asa I could but the screen went blank as the tiny ordor of a burning resistor ascended into my nostrils. Very close inspection with the same mag glass after removing the pcb from the cabinet revealed no other visual damage. No discoloration of any of the traces anywhere on top or bottom of the pcb.
MSI p/n 7008-020 s/n K0408091416 from the UPC label on the underside of the board. Component fried silk screen ID: Q47 Additional marking in white ink on top of Q47: N3Y__ partial due to scorching. It is my hope that identifying and replacing this component will resurect the mobo . . . :) I await your learned replies; Terry (Pap Samuels)
First and foremost; thank you all for excellent and prompt responses:)
I am working from our secondary machine and will add the images of the damaged Q47 as requested later today, Wed Jan 24, 2007. I grabbed my Olympus C700UltraZoom to get images and it will not power on!
So, I went to my barber and got a haircut just to see if I would survive:)
I will borrow a digital and return.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Would need a good clear closeup pic of the component and also a pic of its location on the board.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hmm images that are high res always help :)
  • edited January 2007
    Hmm images that are high res always help :)
    Thanks for quick response. I will take a few jpg images to send. Where should I send them?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I have fried a component on my MSI mobo by dropping my metal framed magnifying glass on it while it was running; looking for the s/n to type in an online form I was filling out at the time :( ...
    Geesh! Talk about your bad luck! I know what it's like not being able to see the writing, etc. on electronic devices. I can't see beans anymore w/out my glasses and, in cases like you described, a magnifying glass, too. My magnifying glass has a plastic handle and ring around the glass (no metal - a genuine cheapy :smiles: ). Might want to pick one of those up when you get a chance. The metal ones tend to be heavier too increasing your chances of accidentlly dropping it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Pap, you can attach the JPGs right to this thread, if you "go advanced"
  • edited January 2007
    Thank you A.F. CA USA:)
    Gr8 advise!
  • edited January 2007
    Thank you, Prime. The fruits of you advise should appear today:)
  • edited January 2007
    JPG_02 clearly shows N3Y2 on top of Q47 soldered at 3 points on top layer. Underside shows it may feed-through at only one point. Minute blackening surrounds the right most solder point of Q47.
    edited January 2007
    Did not forget you Pap, trying to get info from my sources :)

Thanks
    edited January 2007
    MSI says they will fix or replace the board, send me an email, I have an address for you if you are up for it.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thats a mosfet isnt it?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thats a mosfet isnt it?

It's labelled Q#, so it can pretty much be any type of transistor.
    edited January 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    MSI says they will fix or replace the board, send me an email, I have an address for you if you are up for it.
    Wow! That's terrific, RyderOCZ. Nice work!
  • edited January 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    UPS has the mobo heading to MSI, California. I will post a results follow-up after the system is up and running. Great work Eric!
  • edited February 2007
    UPS has the mobo heading to MSI, California. I will post a results follow-up after the system is up and running. Great work Eric!
    I got an Email from MSI as follows: "I received your board today and I will replace it with an Intel chipset board (865PE Neo2-PFS). Please let me know if you don’t want to change the chipset because you will probably need to reinstall your OS if the chipset has been changed, but the Intel chipset is actually a better one so I would recommend the Intel chipset board instead of the VIA one. Thanks." I opted for the Intel chipset. Will I be able to run my original hard drive? What shall I be looking for when I fire it up?
    I am prepared to format another hard drive and re-install Win XP but I need access to my files on the original drive. Comments please.
    edited February 2007
    I got an Email from MSI as follows: "I received your board today and I will replace it with an Intel chipset board (865PE Neo2-PFS). Please let me know if you don’t want to change the chipset because you will probably need to reinstall your OS if the chipset has been changed, but the Intel chipset is actually a better one so I would recommend the Intel chipset board instead of the VIA one. Thanks." I opted for the Intel chipset. Will I be able to run my original hard drive? What shall I be looking for when I fire it up?
    I am prepared to format another hard drive and re-install Win XP but I need access to my files on the original drive. Comments please.
    If you had XP on the other drive... best to install a new copy, then add the old drive into the system (make sure the boot order doesn't change when you add it, make sure to boot from the new install drive) then you can access the old drive just like secondary storage and pull all your Documents, etc that you need off. :)

If the new install is just on a small drive, then you can ghost or use Acronis or something to image everything back to the old drive and have all your space back.
    edited February 2007
    You can do it, Pap. It'll just take a little wrangling. You'll need to have your OS CD handy. I recommend you download the new Intel chipset drivers from MSI as well and have them handy (extracted and burned to CD).
    • You can go HERE for instructions re: how to keep your HDD build intact after replacing your motherboard.
    • HERE's another online reference on the same topic.

BTW, good choice (Intel as opposed to VIA). From what I've been seeing and what I've learned from others here on SM, you'll be better served w/ the Intel chipset.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    You can also try a Windows XP "Repair" installation. I've done that before with motherboard swaps and it's worked beautifully. If you try the repair installation, as soon as the installation is completed, go into Safe Mode, remove the old chipset drivers, LAN device drivers, and any other drivers that were specific to the old motherboard. Then install the all the motherboard drivers for your new board. I have done this on with several computer upgrades with complete success.
  • edited February 2007
    You guyz and galz R terrific :)
    I am going to be buzy following all the great techno advice. I expect to see the new mobo next week. It is such a comfort having you all around. I will update all IF I don't fry another mobo or other stuff during my stumblings :)
    edited February 2007
    ...You guyz and galz R terrific :)
    'course we are, Pap!! ::bigggrin:
    ...I am going to be buzy following all the great techno advice. I expect to see the new mobo next week. It is such a comfort having you all around...
    Just come on back when (and you will :smiles:) have more questions. We'll be here...
    ...I will update all IF I don't fry another mobo or other stuff during my stumblings :)
    Did ya get that plastic (cheapy) magnifying glass?? :)
    Another problem I have is my eye glasses are loose - always slipping off'n my face - 'specially when I'm bending over. So, peaking into a computer case can be a hazard for me, too. I've kept your unfortunate accident in mind and have tried to be more careful.... ('course, I could get my glasses fixed...:range: hmmmmm.....)
  • edited February 2007
    Another problem I have is my eye glasses are loose - always slipping off'n my face - 'specially when I'm bending over. . .
    Same here. I am considering stretching saran wrap across the case frame BEFORE I bend over it at all. Maybe I should just build a robot to do the job for me :) You got any plans for making mechanical arms?
    edited February 2007
    ...You got any plans for making mechanical arms?...
    Ya know, n-o-o-o-o-w that ya mention it...... :range: hmmmmm

Lessee, build robot... get glasses fixed.... build roooooobooot, get glasses fixed....

Definetly, the ro... defin... definet.... definetly the robot.... :bigggrin:
  • edited February 2007
    You guyz and galz R terrific :)
    I am going to be buzy following all the great techno advice. I expect to see the new mobo next week. It is such a comfort having you all around. I will update all IF I don't fry another mobo or other stuff during my stumblings :)
    HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2007 EVERYONE :)
    Five days ago UPS delivered MSI's RMA replacement mobo.
    I have been ecstatic since :) Have most of my "critical files" moved from the old hard drive to a new 85Gig drive partitioned by Windows XP SP2 OS in NFTS file system. Thanks to everyone; especially Eric for rescuing this American from his butter fingers accident! And to all who have followed this event consider RyderOCZ and his buddies at MSI as having set the highest standards of what REAL Americans are suppose to be :) Don't any of you leave this forum without running toward that standard! See you all ‘round the block. In lifetime debt to RyderOCZ & MSI; Pap
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    That's the beauty of short-media - in the connections we make with people who care :)

Stick around, pap samuels - you'll find the same standard of excellence throughout everything that happens here. :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks Prime; we all is what we is :)
    And most of us know who allows that to be!