cant post on one particular site?

neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
ok, i use IE, ltest version. ive performed all the antivirus/anti malware scans i can and i still cant figure out whats causing this problem.

i have this problem with one particular site that i go to. its a forum, and this problem only began a few days ago. whenever i try to type anything in any text box on that site, the focus of the text cursor shifts from whatever box its at to some other object somewhere else in the window. it does this before i have the chance to type anything, so it makes it very hard to post. also, if i have that site open in a tab and i try to open my bookmarks list, or try to view another, seperate window, the focus immediately shifts back to that tab.

i have no idea why IE would do this or why it would only happen on that site, but this leads me to believe that its that site thats the problem and not my computer. however, no one else on the site seems to have this problem. i can usually work around it through a few different methodes, but its very inconvenient.

any ideas, suggestion or anything on where i should start?

thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
    edited January 2007
    does anyone have any ideas? im not sure if its a virus thing or if its the website, as i seem to be the only one experiencing the problem, and i only experience that problem with that one site. has anyone had anything like this happen to them before?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Can you post a link to the site in question? (If you'd prefer not to post it publicly, feel free to send me a PM.)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    neogeo0823 wrote:
    does anyone have any ideas? im not sure if its a virus thing or if its the website, as i seem to be the only one experiencing the problem, and i only experience that problem with that one site. has anyone had anything like this happen to them before?

Probably not a virus with only one site not working right. Could be a site written partly or mostly in Java. (The ones that are almost or all Java have an address for pages that ends in .jsp typically). Java is needed to be present in a client (on your computer in order for your IE 7 to handle .jsp sites. The most current Java JRE is 1.5.0.10.

Test Internet Explorer for version 7 is known to have issues with some sites and some software on client computers that conflicts with IE 7 exists. I do not have a list of known conflicting software.

I would not run IE 7 on XP less than SP2. It (IE 7) needs the ActiveX in SP2 or Vista to try and be more reliable with Java.

IE 7 can be uninstalled in Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs.

Alternatively, get the latest FireFox and see if it runs that site better-- it works with Java better if the latest Java JRE is present when you install FireFox. FireFox and Mozilla and Seamonkey 1.1 all are written to be Java compatible while IE is not truely written to work real well with Java. They do NOT use ActiveX much at all (Windows may intercede an occasional ActiveX).

If all these Ideas do not work, the site's focus code is malfed versus IE 7 test and the problem can probably be worked around with an email conversation started with a Feedback email to the owner of the site-- which might also get the code fixed.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Java is needed to be present in a client (on your computer in order for your IE 7 to handle .jsp sites.
    Actually JSP are pages that are created server side using Java. Their output is HTML or XML.
    I would not run IE 7 on XP less than SP2.
    You can't run IE7 on anything less than SP2.
    It (IE 7) needs the ActiveX in SP2 or Vista to try and be more reliable with Java.
    Please elaborate further.
    IE is not truely written to work real well with Java.
    Do you have proof of this?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    As to sites of JAVA TYPE not working well with ActiveX site handling, that has been around and known for a long time. ANY True Java sites do not have cross-code for ActiveX resident on Windows computers because Microsoft will not release the source code into the public domain. I have used the various JREs with IE to read Java sites that are all Java. They do NOT call ActiveX. I watch the Java calls in the status bar on my browser as they are called. Java fully implemented does not get along with ActiveX and does not NEED to call ActiveX.

As to why recent ActiveX is needed to be more compatible with Java:

For a long time Sun Microsystems and Microsoft were embattled concerning whether Microsoft had a license to use Java in its code. Microsoft had a J# but that J# was NOT Sun Java-- it was based on what Sun called an obsolete Java base and sued Microsoft and won millions of dollars in a settlement for having used Sun's code base to develop a new development language. After that, Microsoft and Sun are somewhat working together to make their code intercompatible. Thus, some more recent ActiveX works better with some basic Java and reduces the nav errors IE has with Java sites with the JRE registered in IE as a plugin for some code fed for navigation of sites and layering of graphic elements.

If activeX is used with a browser to have THE BROWSER build the page and what is fed in code to the browser to determine what SHOULD build and what the computer client gets is Java JRE calls then ActiveX is used to build the site page. Layering and navigation through site will be limited or broken. THE BROWSER and ActiveX are trying to handle foreign code. Mouse events are handled differently in Java and ActiveX. The JRE understands Java mouse events. ActiveX does not. Java Servers feed beans to call the JRE events as needed. JRE understands these calls, ActiveX does not. What is slowly happening is that Microsoft and Sun are cooperating some with Java use or totally Java built sites. This makes IE work better some with some critical things as mouse movement detection, OnClick reactions, MouseOver responses, etc for navigation. Layering of pages from an activeX set when the page is coded for JRE interpretation is broken. Been broken for 8 or more years. I've used the JRE and\or Java SDK for that long, either going so far as to install Java completely in computers to let folks read pages that they can't with IE or just the JRE to interpret pages more recently.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    As to sites of JAVA TYPE not working well with ActiveX site handling, that has been around and known for a long time.

I still don't quite understand. Do you have concrete proof of this? Links? Studies?
    ANY True Java sites do not have cross-code for ActiveX resident on Windows computers because Microsoft will not release the source code into the public domain. I have used the various JREs with IE to read Java sites that are all Java. They do NOT call ActiveX. I watch the Java calls in the status bar on my browser as they are called. Java fully implemented does not get along with ActiveX and does not NEED to call ActiveX.
    I'm not sure what a a true Java site is, but Java doesn't have "cross-code" because Java is designed to be cross-platform. It doesn't have to rely on ActiveX because ActiveX has nothing to do with Java.
    As to why recent ActiveX is needed to be more compatible with Java:
    It doesn't, but I'll let you humor me anyway.
    For a long time Sun Microsystems and Microsoft were embattled concerning whether Microsoft had a license to use Java in its code. Microsoft had a J# but that J# was NOT Sun Java-- it was based on what Sun called an obsolete Java base and sued Microsoft and won millions of dollars in a settlement for having used Sun's code base to develop a new development language. After that, Microsoft and Sun are somewhat working together to make their code intercompatible. Thus, some more recent ActiveX works better with some basic Java and reduces the nav errors IE has with Java sites with the JRE registered in IE as a plugin for some code fed for navigation of sites and layering of graphic elements.
    Sorry, friend, I'm just not following you 100%. Take a step back for a minute and pretend I'm computer illiterate, then explain this to me in non-techie terms.
    If activeX is used with a browser to have THE BROWSER build the page and what is fed in code to the browser to determine what SHOULD build and what the computer client gets is Java JRE calls then ActiveX is used to build the site page. Layering and navigation through site will be limited or broken. THE BROWSER and ActiveX are trying to handle foreign code. Mouse events are handled differently in Java and ActiveX. The JRE understands Java mouse events. ActiveX does not. Java Servers feed beans to call the JRE events as needed. JRE understands these calls, ActiveX does not. What is slowly happening is that Microsoft and Sun are cooperating some with Java use or totally Java built sites.
    I think the problem is you're mixing server-side and client-side. Java servers output HTML or XML to browsers. Java applets are served, but the JRE compiles them client-side. You don't need a Java server to have a site with Java applets.
    This makes IE work better some with some critical things as mouse movement detection, OnClick reactions, MouseOver responses, etc for navigation.
    I think you mean JavaScript, not Java. Those events are controlled by JavaScript, a client-side scripting language.
    Layering of pages from an activeX set when the page is coded for JRE interpretation is broken. Been broken for 8 or more years. I've used the JRE and\or Java SDK for that long, either going so far as to install Java completely in computers to let folks read pages that they can't with IE or just the JRE to interpret pages more recently.
    I hear ya, bud, but I still would like to see concrete evidence of this broken JRE-ActiveX condition.