Need help with HD problem lost everything

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have a dell dimension and I got a code seven error for my hard drive which means the HD is bad. I got the fatal blue screen unbootable disk. Dell sent me a new hard drive, and I installed and re-loaded windows XP. The computer runs fine but I was hoping to recover some files from the HD especially some photos. I installed the new HD in position 0 where the original was and put the old one in position 1 but as far as I can tell the computer is not seeing the old drive. Is there anything other than going to a recovery service (too much money) that I can do to get some of my files? Any help would be appreciated and Thank you in advance:)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I know of no good and cheap recovery stuff for where the the HD is tested bad and you want data back because you did not back up. What I would recommend is to back up to CD or DVD media all photos and not even keep them on the HD, for the future. I'm too lazy to take them off my HD, but all photos do reside on CD media also.

I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that with an error that warrents mfr replacement without return of part being replaced, the mfr is writting off any chance of recovering the drive fast and thinking that the drive is totally useless.

That said, chkdsk in recovery mode from a Windows CD might be able to mark bad any bad sectors and clusters that are keeping data from being read. That is the only possible and cheap (though quite time consuming) way to get you some data back within the recovery console or very faintly possible within windows if chkdsk completes and does not hang.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    lhodge wrote:
    I have a dell dimension and I got a code seven error for my hard drive which means the HD is bad. I got the fatal blue screen unbootable disk. Dell sent me a new hard drive, and I installed and re-loaded windows XP. The computer runs fine but I was hoping to recover some files from the HD especially some photos. I installed the new HD in position 0 where the original was and put the old one in position 1 but as far as I can tell the computer is not seeing the old drive. Is there anything other than going to a recovery service (too much money) that I can do to get some of my files? Any help would be appreciated and Thank you in advance:)
    Hello lhodge. Welcome to Short Media!

Exactly which Dimension model computer do you have?

Do you know how to get into and navigate the BIOS? If not, let us know and we'll step you through it.

You'll need to get into the BIOS to see if your settings are enabled to view a 2nd HDD. Channel 1 (of 0 & 1) may not be enabled. Hopefully that's the case. If your BIOS is enabled to allow a HDD to be read on that channel, then the electronic circuitry (controller) on the HDD itself has failed. You're only recourse is to try to get your failed HDD functioning again by replacing the PCB on the HDD w/ an exact replacement from another HDD of the same model. (You might be able to find one on eBay.) Or - take it in to a recovery service (very expensive)

As for backing up, there is a great little utility that I've used for many years. It used to be called Veritas Backup Exec and has gone through several iterations (sold from company to company) since then. It is now offered by Sonic. It's called Backup MyPC. You can use the software to configure what are called "backup jobs" and schedule them to run automatically and unattended at specific times to whatever media you have selected. (an external HDD, DVDs, network, etc.)

Unfortunately, this is how a great many people are 1st introduced to the importance of backing up their data - after they've lost data due to a HDD crash. The important thing is that you learn from this and begin a regimen of backing up so this doesn't happen to you again. Remember, when it comes to computers, it isn't IF but WHEN they will fail. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hodge, S_Man and Ptero were right on the money when they recommended backups. I haven't tried the software Ptero recommended, Veritas, but if she recommends it, I'm sure it's good. I have used Norton Ghost, Cobian Backup, and Acronis True Image. Cobian Backup is freeware. If your goal is just to back up data, Cobian is a no-brainer, and it's easy to use. You will need backup media or a spare hard drive. If you have (or will have) a large volume of data, the CD backup method would be a royal pain. A relatively inexpensive backup solution would be one of the software backup programs I mentioned with the hardware addition of an external hard drive enclosure with the drive your choice in volume and brand. You could also purchase a ready-made external drive. I prefer a separate enclosure. That way I can swap out drives in the enclosure and upgrade whenever I wish. When the external enclosure-drive is not in use, you can turn it off and unplug the USB and power cables. That will protect the drive against power surges.
  • edited January 2007
    Funny but I did purchase an external HD to back up my system which came the day before it failed, just my bad luck, I just didn't have the time to install. oh well I guess i know now and I will be making hard copies of anything important from now on. Thanks for the bios idea I do know how to get to it I forgot the dell tech did have me messing with that I will try it and get back to this post with the result. Thanks for the advice will try to do these things and see what happens.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    lhodge wrote:
    Funny but I did purchase an external HD to back up my system which came the day before it failed, just my bad luck, I just didn't have the time to install. oh well I guess i know now and I will be making hard copies of anything important from now on. Thanks for the bios idea I do know how to get to it I forgot the dell tech did have me messing with that I will try it and get back to this post with the result. Thanks for the advice will try to do these things and see what happens.
    Unfortunately, if Dell already had you poking around in the BIOS then the HDD is DOA. W/out replacing the PCB on the HDD or sending it to a recovery service, you're not going to get your data back. That's just the hard truth.

Even if you intend to save hard copies of your important documents in the future, nothing takes the place of a sound and well-thought-out backup regimen. Whether you're a home or business computer user, backing up is an integral part of sound computer operation and maintenance. If you don't implement a backup regimen, you are only setting yourself up for disaster - again. The 1st time you experience data loss can be attributed to ignorance and you can learn from your experience. The 2nd time it happens, well... I think you know... there should NEVER BE a 2nd time. Right?? :wink:

Why Backup?
    The Tao of Backup
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited January 2007
    Could have, should have, would have, but didn't...that is in response to the backup suggestions.

The issue at hand is retrieving his data or at least trying to. There are a couple of alternative fixes if he is willing to go the extra mile. If the drive is not being recognized in BIOS, regardless of settings, pin assignments, cable reseats, etc, then you have some relatively extreme options available to you.

If the logic board is defective, which in this case it very well may be, then you could look for an identical drive through ebay, other tech sites for sale forums and/or e-tailers. You could swap out the logic board to see if the drive spins up, if it does, you could get the data (I have personally performed this measure with 7 out of 10 successful attempts at doing so). If you have done that, keeping in mind that these are extreme measures, you could use that same drive and transfer the platters to the known working drive from the defective one. This is not for the light-hearted fellows, and requires a make shift clean room, which is self-explanatory but not as simple as it sounds. For further reading, google for some interesting results.

The freeze methods work when the drive is already spinning up, so that may not be an immediate option. If you happen to get the drive up, be sure to try running spinrite on it (again, if available) to check the integrity as scandisk does nothing for people in your situation. Aside from data recovery services, your options are bleak at best. But if the data is important, then whatever it takes.