Whos' getting Vista this week?

13»

Comments

• WeedoWeedo New
    edited February 2007
    Concerning that fresh install procedure for Vista from Dailytech.com... it didn't work for me. I still got an error when I tried to activate that said my key was only good for upgrades not fresh installs. Now I'm going to have to do all that work over again and this time start with XP. Grrrrr!!

It was lookin good though.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    OK, so I just got Vista today. Brand new Core 2 box, Home Premium. Glad I have 4 wireless cards lying around. It took two hours and the fourth wireless card to find one that worked. An old Dlink DWL G520 installed fine. Its one of the native drivers included in Vista. The Linksys WMP54G had a Vista driver on the Linksys site.....no go. Just code 10 and code 31. The help out on the net was no help.

I think it all would have been solved a long time before that if I'd had the internet. Apparently if you search for the Linksys driver Windows update will send you one that works fine. This computer is a long way from the cable modem though.
  • edited February 2007
    Some of the versions of XP arent upgradable to some of the versions of Vista. Not sure what version of each you have but somewhere on M$ website I recall seeing that chart. Not saying thats your issue but just throwing it out in case it could be.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I installed Vista Business from my action pack. thanks to Nvida's total lack of having any chipset/RAID drivers available I had to do an upgrade also.

I used Acronis and imaged one RAID to the other. Booted my desired array and ran setup from the Vista DVD. I selected custom install and it informed me that this would wipe all my files and settings (as expected). Weird thing is that it did wipe my program files, windows, and all documents, pics, mail, etc.... Just like a clean install, but it doesn't wipe or format the partition since it left all my root directories like temp, test, download, etc... Anything I created as a folder was left along with files in them. All programs and normal data storage folders (pics, music and such) were wiped.

Install went fine. Installed creative drivers, Nvidia graphics drivers. Nforce drivers updated themselves off of windows update.

Installed NOD32 and Office 2007 Enterprise. Moved my outlook backup files and all docs, pics, and stuff.

Seems much snappier then XP. Especially any network operation.

I may actually activate it. The action pack gives me an upgrade to ultimat for $139 under the upgrade now program. I may do it if it includes the 64bit version like the DVD pack does.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    Missileman wrote:
    Seems much snappier then XP. Especially any network operation.

I wouldn't say that....but then I went from a Celeron M to a Core 2 Duo with Vista so I'm not a good gauge. I will say that networking seems far easier. I purposely didn't bring any settings over to this. I wanted to see how the wizards work. I think in a couple years my house call business will be down. I think the average guy is going to be able to network a couple/three computers and a printer with this much easier.

Already started figuring out to futz with the permissions so I don't have to click 4 #$%@! "continue" and "Yes" buttons every time I want to make a folder just to organize things.
  • edited February 2007
    You can turn the user account deal off if you want. Just be aware when you do some programs will not like it when you try to install them. The Adobe acrobat reader 8 being one of them. It gave me an error when I tried to install it. According to Adobes site the fix was turn the account security back on.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    I'm with Byrds. Don't get too carried away with turning that user control off. But you can also tweak that by changing the permissions on some folders. I got tired of clicking four (4) confirmation boxes every time I wanted to organize the folders in my start up menus. If you just change the permissions on the Programs folder, you can do what you want without convincing Gates that you're friendly.

To get HiJackThis to work, just make shortcut where it runs as Administrator. Otherwise it runs but can't make changes when you check boxes to delete startups.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    installed vista business edition couple days ago on my macbook using Parallels Desktop, no problems at all, but it does eat memory like crazy.

I will stick with OS X
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited February 2007
    TheSmJ wrote: »
    As the subject says: Who here has any plans to buy Vista sometime this week?

Sometime this week?!

Pssh, nubs, been using RTM bits since {redacted} and was using the pre-{redacted} {redacted} for months!

Now, if only I could talk about the other {redacted}

(Also, hi SmJ, I'm back!)
    edited February 2007
    Also, Leshi, just a thought about Vista's Memory Comsumption...

The way Vista handles memory is a bit... more... intelligent that prior builds of Windows.

If the Memory is being unused by User-Mode-Junk {hereafter UMJ} why shouldn't Windows pre-load as much as it can, and get up to 75%ish memory load?

You're not using the memory for anything else otherwise, and it's pretty smart when it comes to unload memory to allow space for UMJ.

Yes, Vista sucks memory, because memory is almost an L3 cache, and you might as well try to have as little OS stuff go-to-disk as possible when you're not running UMJ.

Now, if Vista will fight your UMJ for alloc when you're running big UMJ, then you need to worry about memory usage, but it's not a hard alloc like it was in prior windows, rather, it shares space in ways like UMJ. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Welcome back, Jonesy.. It's rare (and nice) to have someone who really really knows what they're talking about on board ;):D
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    Jonsey wrote: »
    You're not using the memory for anything else otherwise, and it's pretty smart when it comes to unload memory to allow space for UMJ.

Interesting comments Jonsey. I almost think another way of capsulizing this Vista-eats-memory discussion is this:

If you measure a computer by its free RAM, just put a copy of DOS 5.0 on your latest 2 Gig DDR II machine. Now go to a C: prompt and type "mem" like we used to. You'll have the best computer in the world.
    edited February 2007
    I believe that Vista subscribes to the "if you've got it, flaunt it" school of memory management.

(did I just get my first SM-byte?)