Whos' getting Vista this week?

Comments

• edited January 2007
    So youre saying that having a 64bit OS over a 32bit OS if you have a 64bit CPU has no advantages? I mean I do realise most programs are written in 32bit code but still there has to still be a performance increase for changing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm desperately waiting for 64bit versions of Adobe Creative Suite. I use 4gb of RAM on my main graphic design workstation and it's still not enough. I'm tapped out. Need more ram!
  • edited January 2007
    My laptop will only hold the 2gigs I have in it so in that department Im screwed lol. I usually only game and such though so 2gigs is plenty for what I actually do. I just wanted to take full advantage of what I have. Sadly HP isnt allowing that one lol.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Well, If my past behavior is any indication, I will be getting Vista once either a new Sid Meier's Civilization or an Elderscrolls game requires it to run. :P
  • edited January 2007
    Ill probably get it and wait a while to install it. I have the money atm lol. Now I just have to figure out to get ultimate or premium. Ultimate doesnt seem to have much more to offer for the extra 150.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    To be fair, there's nothing that takes advantage of 64bit even with the OS in place. ;D Nothing practical, at any rate.

matlab, an EE's best friend, does.

oh god I'm so alone.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'll definitely wait. The OpenGl performance hit has definitely got me sticking with XP. I'm curious to see what becomes of that.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    shwaip wrote:
    matlab, an EE's best friend, does.

Oh, man! Really?! Sweet. It's amazing the difference in processing time between the different machines on which I've used Matlab.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    The OpenGl performance hit has definitely got me sticking with XP. I'm curious to see what becomes of that.

Didn't I read somewhere that ATI has that solved but nVidia doesn't....or that other way around.....???
  • edited January 2007
    ATI is supposedly ahead of Nvidia on the performance of the graphic drivers in Vista
    edited January 2007
    Byrds6 wrote:
    ATI is supposedly ahead of Nvidia on the performance of the graphic drivers in Vista
    I haven't seen anything about it. The reviews I saw reported that OpenGl apps downright sux on Vista. I can't afford that.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Here's what I remembered Byrds. From the PC World article Straight_Man referred to:
    Our other test game, Doom 3, didn't run at all on the Vista systems that used ATI graphics cards; at this writing, ATI's beta drivers for Vista don't support the OpenGL graphics system that this game requires. nVidia's beta driver, however, did support OpenGL graphics. ATI and nVidia both claim that they will have full versions of their drivers ready by the time Vista ships.
  • edited January 2007
    If I remember correctly that was an older review of Vista. It seems like I recall reading it at any point. I am guessing however ATI got that resolved as for what im reading these days is that ATI and Intel are both ahead of Nvidia in coming out with decent drivers. I am however thinking of installing Vista now lol. It is just getting to me that its sitting behind the laptop waiting. Ive read a lot of people really like it.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2007
    I personally will be waiting until either:
    a.) Microsoft ends support for Windows XP Professional (they've already done this for XP Home last year).
    -or-
    b.) SP1 becomes available for Vista.

I've been using WinXP Pro since 2001, will be testing WinXP Pro 64bit later this year, and depending on how well XP Pro 64bit runs, I'll be switching over to that eventually before ever going to Vista 64bit.
  • edited January 2007
    Ive used xp pro since it came out too. I personally just dont care to go try xp64. That would just be one more thing id have to buy before buying Vista anyway so while i had the money I got Vista.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I personally will be waiting until either:
    a.) Microsoft ends support for Windows XP Professional (they've already done this for XP Home last year).

XP Home will get extended (security only) support for as long as XP Pro will. Microsoft changed thier mind recently.
  • edited January 2007
    Too bad not many folks are talking abuot their experience with Vista. LOL maybe they cant get online to tell us.
    edited January 2007
    Byrds6 wrote:
    Too bad not many folks are talking abuot their experience with Vista. LOL maybe they cant get online to tell us.
    LOL ...this is possible!

At any rate ...now they're saying there is a loophole in the clean install of the upgrade version. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932 ...basically you need to install it twice but you can delete the old files.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Nice find csimon. MS had to know this was left "out there", and had to know someone would find it....soon.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited January 2007
    "When this occurs, the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation process can take place."

I hope this doesn't mean forfeited for all time. I want to put Vista upgrade on my main rig then move my copy of XP to my second rig. I was hoping this wouldn't be a problem as I bought a new SATA hd just for Vista and just wanted to pull the old hd out 'as is' and set it aside in case I had problems with the Vista install. In the mean time I'd like to install XP on my second rig and get it up and going. I should be able to do that. I hope. Being able to do a clean Vista install will help.

Why must MS sit around and think up ways to complicate our digital lives.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You are making an assumption that many have upgraded(?) to Vista. My assumption is the great majority of Windows users have not switched and are not seriously contemplating such. Perhaps the lack of reported user experience with Vista is due to lack of user experience. :rolleyes:

I will be happy to use and comment on Vista if anyone wishes to donate a copy. Having read much about the new OS, I find no compelling reason to pay for a copy. It's my opinion that the advancement from Windows 98 to Windows XP was a huge leap, due to the NTFS filing system, greatly improved drivers support, and automated networking features. I see absolutely no equivalent advances in Vista. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, I invite any Vista user to..

post their user experience with Vista and explain.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    I will be happy to use and comment on Vista if anyone wishes to donate a copy.

That's a great offer Leonardo. I'm going to send you a copy of Vista. Could you post your address and SS number?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Do I get free tickets to the "European Lottery" with that? or have I already won?

:bigggrin:
  • edited January 2007
    LOL. Im sure not everyone will run out and buy a copy just like not everyone ran out and buy XP but a lot will just out of pure curiosity. I had XP from the time it came out and I remember it being just about as bad as Vista in terms of initial performance and support. Vista will eventually surpass XP just like XP did the others. And on that note I have two base devices listed on my DV9000t I cant figure out what they are to install the drivers lol anyone have a clue
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I think if I had the cash I would put it on my laptop :)
  • edited January 2007
    I did it with income tax. I got premium to start with til I found out that it did not come with both the 64 and 32bit disks. So far I have only had the 2 devices I dont know what they are. I keep looking in the device manager and cant pair them off with something thats not their lol. Sad isnt it.
  • Island-DogIsland-Dog St. Cloud, FL.
    edited January 2007
    Well I have had the RTM for a while and I actually like Vista. I'm really excited about the customization that is upcoming for it, especially DeskScapes.
  • edited January 2007
    what customizations? how do i turn on 3d flip and such i havent found that yet lol. and is there any way to turn off that annoying are you usre you want to do this msg.
  • Island-DogIsland-Dog St. Cloud, FL.
    edited January 2007
    Byrds6 wrote:
    what customizations? how do i turn on 3d flip and such i havent found that yet lol. and is there any way to turn off that annoying are you usre you want to do this msg.

Here's a start.

http://www.wincustomize.com/Articles.aspx?aid=142507