Need help Over clocking P4 3.0

GwarkGwark New Jersey
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I have a P4 HT 3.0 , asus p4p800se Main board, 512x2 pc3200 , 512x2 pc2700 memory, 200 gig western digital hard drive. and unfortunatly my good video card burnt out so im stuck with a nvidia 6800 gt. I realy dont no much about over clocking other than i want to do it but i dont excatly no where to start and what to do in the bios. Some help would be kindly appriciated. ^_^ thx

Matt

Comments

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    Gwark wrote:
    I have a P4 HT 3.0 , asus p4p800se Main board, 512x2 pc3200 , 512x2 pc2700 memory, 200 gig western digital hard drive. and unfortunatly my good video card burnt out so im stuck with a nvidia 6800 gt. I realy dont no much about over clocking other than i want to do it but i dont excatly no where to start and what to do in the bios. Some help would be kindly appriciated. ^_^ thx

Matt

Matt, I'm a little confused why you're using mismatched memory? PC3200 (DDR400) & PC2700 (DDR333)....

If your trying to overclock, memory is very fickle, using two different speeds will not make this any easier....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Before we even think of CPU overclocking for that system, we need some more information:

1. Power Supply Unit (PSU): please tell us the brand, model, and power rating (see label on the PSU side)

2. What brand, model of heatsink/fan unit on top of the central processing unit (CPU).

3. Same info for the computer case. Case ventilation and air flow pattern and volume is critical.

Rada mentioned mismatched DRAM. You will able to overclock the CPU with your RAM setup, but not the "system", as the the mismatched DRAM will not overclock at all or certainly not well.

We are willing to help you, but just need more information.
  • GwarkGwark New Jersey
    edited January 2007
    The power supply is Turbolink model LC-A350ATX 350 watt, The heat sink and fan atop the CPU is pretty generic either it came with the mother board or with the CPU, as far as the case goes i spent 20 minutes looking for a name or brand and another 30 minutes looking on line for it i cant seem to find out what it is. Bare with me here lol. Its black has plexy glass side with a fan with a metal alien cut out of to the side of the plexy glass same fan on the top and a plexy glass pannel overlaying the front but u cannot see inside the case from the font its just an accent over laying the metal and it has a grey circle with case temp display and power button on outer rim. The case stays at about 75- 80 degrees F while in stressful gaming. The rig was originaly made by art of war central i belive and was raffled off, in which my friend won about a year or so ago and i recently bought off of him. And for the ram i only had 1 gig of 3200 and i ran the 2700 on the other memory channel since the board is dual channel if im doing something worng please let me no im not a computer expert but id like to think i no a little about what im doing lol.

ps thanks for the quick replies
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It would be a lot easier and more reliable (even if you are NOT OCing) if you got another 3200 for the second channel of RAM before you OC. Right now the board is either running both channels at 2700 or OCing the 2700 already to 3200(this second thing is more likely).
  • GwarkGwark New Jersey
    edited January 2007
    Yeah i planed on getting the second set but, since i just bought the rig i was interested in how if possible to overclock it. If i can't get a nice boost out of the rig than im just gonna throw linux on it and use it as a media and storage dump. I started looking into over clocking just out of curiousity and was some thing i always wanted to learn, but all the threads and articles i read were a little confusing since each rig, bios and computer componants varies the outcome and method of OCing. Just woundering what would be the best thing for mine. I plan on getting the set of 3200 tommorow and maybe get a new video card.