The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Just found this thread... I have been trying to lose some weight since New Years... At that time I weighed about 230 or so... I don't have a scale to weigh myself now, but I can say that I have been getting lots of random teachers at school coming up to me saying that it looks like I've been losing weight... And I just bought a couple of pairs of size 38 jeans at Kohl's when I've been a 40 or 42 for as long as I can remember... I'll try to get to a scale sometime soon and check it out officially... I've been on the Lean Cuisine diet mainly... They were just on sale at Publix a month or so ago for $1.50 each so I filled the freezer... Just controlling portions and staying away from fast food and sweets has been doing pretty well for me... I am definitely in the challenge... I do basically zero exercise other than the usual walking around and stuff ;) (plus I'm on my feet for 9-10 hours every day for my job so that helps)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Pics!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Is it just me or is Prime starting to sound like a bunch of others on the forums when a new girl signs up.

"PICS!"

;D
    edited February 2007
    Yeah except I want to see fat hairy men with dour looks on their faces ;D

WTF IS WRONG WITH ME. SOME YOUNG HOT GIRL PLZ POST PICS HERE SO I CAN BE SKEEZY AND SKEEVY LIKE ALL THE OTHER YOUNG PERVY NERDS ON HERE :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Yeah except I want to see fat hairy men with dour looks on their faces...

Should have called me about ten months ago - I'd have come right over. :D

(I still have the dour look - does that count?)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    csimon wrote: »
    I have a pic that was taken this weekend I will post ...LOL
    :thumbsup:
    Yeah except I want to see fat hairy men with dour looks on their faces ;D

WTF IS WRONG WITH ME. SOME YOUNG HOT GIRL PLZ POST PICS HERE SO I CAN BE SKEEZY AND SKEEVY LIKE ALL THE OTHER YOUNG PERVY NERDS ON HERE :D

Here you got the best of both worlds Brian ...fat + hairy AND young hot girl! Sorry no dour looks here though!!! :bigggrin:
    edited February 2007
    holycrapwow.gif
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    hoooot
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2007
    Well, the flu is kcking my ass right now...

..still have an appetite, so I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can, no energy to do anything though. effecting gymm routine mostly..

I quite remember being a knuckleheaded 21 yr old who tried to work out while sick and ended up in the hospital due to dehydration and heat exhaustion...

...never again....

Just going to eat right and let myself heal..
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited February 2007
    Hey... I just saw this thread for the first time. I want in if I can join. I'm actually in a bet with some folks at work and I'm already down about 10 lbs. I'm gonna go to fitday right now with the assumption that I can play too. :D
    edited February 2007
    Welcome aboard, fatso! :D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Still here...Fitday is up to date (and adjusted weight wise...I was using weight from the Doc's office with full clothing and boots on at the start...just adjusted that :) )

According to the new scale I just bought...I am down 4 lbs !!! ;D

Due to variances in scales though, I will accept just 2 pounds in a week, which will still meet my goal by the time of the LAN.

Traveling to Chicago starting tomorrow...let's see if I can be a good boy and not overeat because I will be at Restaurants all weekend probably :rolleyes2
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I'll admit to working out while sick. I biked 12 miles once too. All bad decisions.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    I've found that a light workout such as moderate walking on the treadmill seems to help me when I'm sick. I'm referring to a 20-30 minute walk at an approximately 3mph pace, though, not a twelve mile schlep on the bike. :o
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Anyone know if I should worry about not getting any Vitamin K? I don't know for sure if I am getting any, but none of the products I use has it listed on the nutrition info so right now FitDay shows me as getting NONE.

Any ideas? I wiki'd it too, but that didn't seem much help.
    edited February 2007
    I'm more concerned about not getting enough Vitamin P... :-/:eek3:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'm more concerned about not getting enough Vitamin P... :-/:eek3:
    :respect:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Take a daily multivitamin.
    edited February 2007
    oh, if only! :rolleyes::p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Nomad wrote: »
    Take a daily multivitamin.

I take Centrum, but it doesn't have "everything". It's a multivitamin, not everything under the sun... :( Plus from what I read it would seem that maybe the pill form of Vit K may not be the best for you. Not sure how though.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Eat salads (green leafs).
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, if you eat something with spinach and other DARK leafy greens every day, you will never need a multivitamin.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Are you referring to the fact that Popeye got some Vitamin P every episode after eating spinach?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    OK... next trip to the store I'll also pick up some CANNED veggies(don't ****ing argue with me!) and make some veggie soup! Haven't had my good ol' veggie soup in a LONG long time.

On a side note, I just STUFFED myself on a small bowl of cereal and a single banana. My mind says I am still hungry, but my stomach says NO.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    A head of romaine lettuce
    Some chicken
    Caesar dressing
    Shredded parmesan cheese
    Croutons

Go eat a salad you n00b! All the cool kids are doing it. :p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Too expensive.
    edited February 2007
    Too expensive plus that caesar dressing is one big calorie fat bomb... :-/ Croutons are also useless carbs and fat...

Healthiest salad dressing? Plain vinegar :P if you can't handle it, vinegar + little bit of olive oil :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    If it's not a Caesar salad, I can't handle it unless it's in soup form :D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Nomad wrote: »
    You are doing too much volume and that will stop you from gaining muslce no matter what you do. It's basically overtraining when you do workout. You need to focus on four to five exercises, in the 8 to 12 rep range, for three working sets. A working set is the maximum amount of weight you can safely do. That excludes warm up sets of lower weights--which I highly recommend.

By working on every machine, you're simply putting yourself in a state of fatigue by using a lot of low weights. Look at it this way, do you think it would be more beneficial to do bench press at 150 pounds or twelve different chest exercises at a quarter of that weight? By pushing yourself hard on one exercise, you will get far more out of it, because it recruits your secondary muscles.

Also, machines aren't so good. Unless you are injured, for which machines serve a great purpose, or older and need a much smoother motion, you should be using free weights. Free weights help recruit those secondary motor muscles I was talking about.

As someone who is trying to build muscle, you need to focus on compound movements that use multiple muscle groups at once. Things like dips, chin-ups, bench press, squats, military press, barbell row, and dead lift will really build. Not everyone has time to workout long, so you want to maximize your time there. A combination of these exercises will take you only around 30-40 minutes to complete, and should be done on non-consecutive days. Rest is a key component to growth.

Things like creatine are for people who are more serious and know what they are doing. They are made for people who have hit plateaus, or are still trying to gain weight, and need that extra edge to help them. I wouldn't recommend anything beyond a simple whey protein shake after your workout for people who are beginning or even at an intermediate level.

The average body ingests about 80 grams of protein a day, a body which seeks to be muscular should get at minimum one gram per pound of body weight. If you take whey protein, creatine, or things like that and don't work out consistently, it's going to do nothing for you. My roommate for example, started taking whey, but works out maybe once a week and just does a bunch of useless bicep curls and nothing else so it has added fat to his body.

Protein shakes though are really made to supplement your diet, not be the main component of it, you need to eat clean. Focus on grilled meats, raw, unprocessed sources of food.

Thanks for the info! I'll try it out tomorrow... :-) I do the machines because I'm there by myself most of the time... Ooh, and I agree about 'eating clean' - I've been making good on my 'as little unprocessed food as possible' new year's resolution.
    Nightwolf wrote: »
    Me too, except I weigh 182.

me too, weighed myself today and was 161. I seriously think I have a problem! :( kinda weird...

I think my job makes me skip lunch and/or not stop moving all day, good I guess but it's be nice to be a little more solid. I'll try nomad's suggestions.
    RyderOCZ wrote: »
    Still here...Fitday is up to date (and adjusted weight wise...I was using weight from the Doc's office with full clothing and boots on at the start...just adjusted that :) )

According to the new scale I just bought...I am down 4 lbs !!! ;D

Due to variances in scales though, I will accept just 2 pounds in a week, which will still meet my goal by the time of the LAN.

Traveling to Chicago starting tomorrow...let's see if I can be a good boy and not overeat because I will be at Restaurants all weekend probably :rolleyes2

Let me know where you are, I'll tell ya where to go. :-)
    RWB wrote: »
    If it's not a Caesar salad, I can't handle it unless it's in soup form :D

toss in a bunch of cooked rice, adds bulk so you don't feel like you had a liter of water for lunch...