The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Wouldn't the FitDay logs work for that? You could just link to them all from the first post in the thread or something... simple! ;)

Done!

RADA's Fit Log
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Actually, that'd be kind of awesome. Pain in the ass to implement, surely, but awesome.

Nah, not that hard, frankly. Install WordPress, do a little modding to the theme, then clone it to directories, one for each person.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm willing to help if I can, but at 165, I'm not sure that would be a pretty sight! :D (I'm Dutch, we can't bulk up for some reason - sucks because we can't seem to build out muscle too easily either...)

Wife works at a gym and is in school for Physical Therapy, let me know if I can get any info out of her for ya.

This actually is a great goal. Without knowing it, people spend a fortune on food. You literally could build whatever game rig you wanted just by saving on food for the next six months. Here's some great articles...
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Nah, not that hard, frankly. Install WordPress, do a little modding to the theme, then clone it to directories, one for each person.

Even easier would just be just keeping one installation and having many editors, each with their own category... I did that over at geeklimit for a while...
    edited January 2007
    Introspective:

Like I said earlier, I started a program just over two weeks ago to get ready for my wedding.

In the two weeks since my fiance and I started I've noticed a few things changing (besides how well our belts fit).

1. Soda tastes terrible! I had a Dr. Pepper Saturday at my mum-in-laws b-day party. I could barely finish it! I was a soda-junkie! When I 1st found SM, and was gaming heavily, while going to school, I could polish off a 3 litre of Pepsi during a 8 hr gaming session.

2. I really don't like being "really" full. Bloated is the only way I can describe it. It hurts, and makes me very aware how much weight I've put on..

3. I SPENT TOO MUCH FREAKING $$$$ EATING OUT I looked through my bank statement for December. I alone spent over $600 between lunch for myself, and dinners with Amanda. At $20 a day, I've already saved over $340! If I subtract out what I've spent on food at the grocery store, I'm still in the black by over $200! This will only go up since the food I bought is still in the fridge and pantry. I was flabergasted to see how much $$ we were wasting by eating out.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Ok i'm in too. I'll be 30 in 10 days and loosing 30lbs would be somethimg my doctor would like...ok i wouldn't mind either. Pictures Coming soon!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Day 2 update: let's hear it guys.

I recruited two more big fellas to our little experiment. One is a co-worker (i have to get him signed up here) and the other is the dude above me.

Lunch was rough for me today. I bought some really, REALLY good hummous and mini-pita rounds. I ate too much of it. I ate almost the whole hummous container. It's very healthy, but very high in calories too. Especially with pita.

Still, I took in under 1600 calories today, which is much better than I usually do. Plus I got some exercise today, so it balances out.

Not as much water as I would have liked, but I keep forgetting to keep a bottle handy.
    edited February 2007
    J's day 1 pics:

jeff09.jpgjeff10.jpg
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    My FitDay page(you might get a kick out of it), I'll start updating it today since it's the only day I can do accurately.

But here is a general report from the first day till now.

Day 1(1/30/07):
    I have no clue this day is kinda a blur I think this was when we had the fire, I remember eating at a place called Mexigo's later that night. But I think the only thing I ate before that was 7 hours earlier and that was some Stir Fry. No added oils, just the frozen mix of Fried Rice and Beef. And I had Chicken Enchilada's at Mexigo's, only 2 small ones. We've been so busy moving and cleaning up our apartment it MORE than makes up for all the calories I ate. We basically gave our apartment the working equivalent to a hand car wash.

Day 2(1/31/07):

Woke up in my old apartment, boy did I feel like S***! Back aching and all kinds of stuff, still cleaning the apartment, but before I started I needed some FOOD! We ate out the night before fairly early. I passed out at like 9PM. So I went to Sonic and had 3 breakfast burritos and a power aid slush. And it was GOOOD. I had tried to eat something healthier but it was 7AM and those places open at like 10-11AM. We had no food in the apartment and no drinks.

That was all I had that day until I got home and ate some home made chicken enchilada's(felt I needed to get rid of it and keep room for more healthier stuff). Though very tasty, IT DID NOT APPEASE MY BELLAY! Then I went to bed for an hour and went to work.

Day 3(2/1/07):
    I am still at work, and doing my absolute best to not walk over to Jack in the Crack and get a #6 with Curly Fries and a Large Dr. P.... Only 2 more hours and I can go home, sleep for 6 hours and rush back to work for a stupid meeting. If I make it I won't eat for another 8-9 hours. It's almost healthier for me to go to the Jack.... someone stop me...
    RADA wrote:
    Prime,

Not sure if you like 'em, but I keep a 18 pack carton of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge all the time while I'm on a program. They're quick, and easy to grab on the go. I only eat the whites though, too much bad stuff in the yokes. I will make egg salad out of 4 egg whites and 1 yoke for added flavor.

OMG That is an awesome idea, and could have helped from from starving/dehydrating(if I had a drink) myself to death this past week. Thanks, I'm gonna boil some eggs today when I get a chance.

On a side note, the yellow of just one egg pretty much takes care of the alloted Cholesterol amount per day on a 2000 calorie diet. To think back in high school I ate like 12 whole eggs a day, plus my other food for football. I had a Cholesterol level of 340(IIRC) according to a paper given to me after I gave blood my Sophomore year. Cut back on the egg yokes and a few weeks later after giving blood it was down to 180. My mom was also scared out of her mind when she saw that. Dunno what it is now though. I also remember before when they did the iron test it was close to 15 or something extremely high, 13 after cutting back. Not sure what that means, but they said it was high.
    Alright I weighed in this morning - 236. I've revised my goal to be a nice even 200.

I have a slight headache today. I think it probably has to do with the drastic adjustment to a new diet. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Snacks that I find work well: cottage cheese, and I love raw snow pea pods. 9:00 pm is the cutoff time for food.

I'm hungry, but I think its more out of habit.

I think I'm going to do my annual COLON BLOW. I warn you right now - that link is disgusting and is not for the faint of heart. It talks about poop in graphic detail. That will give me a 'clean slate', per se.

So tonight, one last light snack, and 50 fiber pills with about half a gallon of water :D

Tomorrow should be a great day ;D

My colon blow consisted of 1 heaping tablespoon of SEA Salt, and a 32oz glass of warm water. And about 4 hours of recovery time, with another hour for cleanup. :bigggrin:

I can't do that stuff anymore, just the thought of sea salt makes my throat queng in agony. My anus ain't too happy either.
    Kwitko wrote:
    And if this isn't encouragement, I don't know what is: for every 50 pounds you lose, you gain back 1" of penor hidden behind all that fat. At least that's what some dude told me after he lost 200 pounds.
    "visible inches" ;D

I can account for maybe 2 missing inches in that area, and I ain't too small. Those are maybe some pics I don't mind posting progress images on. ;D

Too much?;D

On a serious note, if I drink allot of tea does that replace water? I mean seriously, when I drink water it makes me feel like crap. I use Splenda to sweeten it.

If I had a camera I'd take a pic of me... but all I have is the built in camera on my laptop, but I couldn't seem to get my body into pic because of distance.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Good luck guys. And I like prime's sullen look - always good for the 'before' pic in this type of scenario ;).

I'm trying to lose weight myself, but I'm only 12 stone 1 pound now, so just trying to get fitter really - if I cut out beer it would go!

So no need for pics from me, but I'll keep having a look to see how people are doing on here!

~Cyrix
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    OK I do this because I am serious about loosing this weight... after seeing the PICS I now see I am much worse than I was back in Florida when I was 300lbs and pretty lean. I just weighed myself and it was 330lbs. My goal is 280 by June 22nd 2007.

In a few short months I'll be a sexy bitch again.:bigggrin:

No I don't mind any jeering :tongue:
    edited February 2007
    RADA's Fit Log for Feb 1

Back at the gym this morning. Did an intense 20 minutes of interval training on the treadmill. My fastest speed was 5.8 (not sure if this is mph, doesn't seem right, have to do some research on treadmill makers website I guess.) Sweating like a pig, and my legs felt tired, I think I can push myself a little harder (faster) for Saturday's cardio session.

Wolfed down 3 hard boiled egg whites while driving to work, having a Myoplex shake around 10:00 am. Brought some pasta, sauce, and a couple turkey meatballs for lunch.(Foster's Farms Turkey meatballs - pre-cooked, just add them to your sauce, and go)

Side Note:

I eat 5 time a day right now. sounds like a lot, but it isn't. First off, my meals are smaller portions (which allows my body to process the food better), and I'm eating healthier food.

I also don't eat after 7:00 pm (when I can) If I do, I try to really limit the fat and carbs in the food I'm eating at that time.

Like others here, I've done this before, if anyone needs help with foods, or schedules, or tips on exercising, please PM me...
    edited February 2007
    pics! :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I need to ad pics of the sledge
    edited February 2007
    pics! :D

Sorry, crazy busy last night...

I'll have the missus shoot some pics tonight.
    edited February 2007
    Cool guys, good luck. I want to help, here's some ideas:

Lifting
    If you're going to lift, I can personally recommend the 'slow method' - a lot less chance of injury for someone starting out, and you get results pretty fast without the joint pain.

Track food spending
    Also, I'd encourage you to use wesabe if you want to track how much food costs you - I found out the wife and I were spending $300/month!! We cut it down to about $70 after that. The service is VERY revealing.

Adjust daily life
    In addition, like a 386 running F@H, there are small things you can do over greater amounts of time to accomplish this. Check out getting one of those balance balls to sit on at work instead of a chair. You'll be micro-working out all day to keep your balance. Just get the right size to fit your desk...

Drink water
    I like having a 500ml small-mouth nalgene around all day, and I drink about 1500-2000ml per day. This is what you're supposed to drink, appaerntly. All I know is that I forgot to use it for the last 2 days, and now I'm home sick and very sore. You'll have to piss a lot, but it'll also give you something to drink that doesn;t have sugar.

Cut the sugar
    Seriously, I love candy, but try cutting your sugar intake for a few days. I've been doing this since new year's, and now I feel like crap whe I eat anything sugary, like there's someone sitting on my chest and sludge in my veins. It's a gross feeling, once you've felt what it's like without it. If you need caffeine, try water joe. Caffiene without the sugar, and cheaper than cans of coke/pepsi. EVery once ina while I want something carbonated too, and the latest diet lemon-lime sugar/caffiene free sodas are awesome, try em out. There's 2-liters for like 60 cents from wal-mart.

Oh, and finally:

Add this goal to your 43things list, or make a 43things list!! Here's mine, it's a huge motivator to not do this stuff alone!
    edited February 2007
    DOn't forget to standardize the way you take pics, it will make it a heck of a lot easier to see the progress. Plus, then you get the fun of making an animated-gif flip-book... :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Tonight is my first Weight Watchers meeting. The points system works great. My brother already lost 20 lbs in 2 months, which is a healthy weight loss.
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Tonight is my first Weight Watchers meeting. The points system works great. My brother already lost 20 lbs in 2 months, which is a healthy weight loss.

Go for it, Mandi (fiance) is on it right now. She likes the program.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I've heard from several sources that Weight Watchers is the only commercialized diet program that really provides consistent and lasting results.
    edited February 2007
    The only thing that makes me leery of weight watchers and other "programs" is that you can't realistically maintain it for life. Once you stop paying, or going to the meetings, or whatever, you go back to your old ways and the weight comes back. I know quite a few people who lost weight with a "program" only to gain it back when the program ended.

What we're shooting for here is honest and healthy lifestyle changes that are maintainable for life.

Take what you can out of the Weight Watchers thing - the food choices, the habits, and the sensible meals and portions :)
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to get good ideas for healthy eating, portion control, and encouragement. It's definitely a program that you can do for life.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2007
    I was quite inspired reading through this thread. I lost about 38 LBS last year and have gained some of it back. One of the ways I managed to lose the weight was through exercise. Nothing fancy, just a couple of 25 lb weights and various ways to lift them. I stopped exercising when I moved in with my gf. So I picked up the weights again 2 weeks ago and am feeling better, more confident. Shovelling the driveway is always a chore but not as much as it used to be. I plan on getting a scale (We don't have one) soon and tracking my weight again. If I had to estimate, I'm probably 185-190 lb and 6 foot tall. Which isn't huge but I'm still.. overweight.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    This is a nice formula to calc. BMR
    Seems to be more real, then most of the internet calculators.

Adult male: 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

66+(6.3 * 198) + (12.9 x 70) - (6.8 * 30)
    66+ 1247.4 + 903 - 204 = 2012 cal.

So just doing nothing I burn 2012 cal/day. Looking at that, exercise during the day really helps keep the pounds off. I'm only 500 under that. I'll bet most days I'm consume about 3000 cals. and I know I don't do enough activity to burn an extra 1000 cals.
    edited February 2007
    My BMR is around 2400. I just ordered a stationary trainer for my bike so I can exercise when the weather is bad. I figure 30-60 minutes of biking will burn around 1000 calories. If I keep my calorie intake to 2000 or under I'll lose 3 pounds a week no problem.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    the bmr changes depending on how active you are, as well.

anyways:
    66+(6.3 * 135) + (12.9 x 73) - (6.8 * 22) = 1708
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Ok...you guys have inspired me :D

My Fitday Page

BTW....when you enter your activities for the day....if you do excercise look elsewhere around the net for what they say you burn, calorie wise, for the given activity.
    Fitday seems to be on the VERY low side of things. For 24min on the treadmill at 3.0 Mph (level, firm ground) it wanted to give me only 90 calories burned.
    Several other sites, list anywhere from 136 - 188 for the same activity. So I chose the 3.5 Mph uphill selection because it was more on the same page with several other sources (avg'd) even though I do not walk 3.5 Mph uphill.
    edited February 2007
    I'm not seeing pics! :p

We gotta have a baseline, fellas.. And seeing a pic of yo fat self up on the web is a HIGHLY MOTIVATIONAL THING, trust me :D
    edited February 2007
    Okay, I finally added my first entry into FitDay. I have to be more diligent about filling it out.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=kwitko&Year=2007&Month=1&Day=1
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=csklenarik

Day 3(2/1/07):
    Today started well, well in terms of what I ate... damned meeting killed me and I hope my rent check wasn't late because of it. I threw away the brownies after forgetting the diet and eating one. That was a big doh!, and planned out what I was going to eat. I figured 1500 calories would be easy. That chicken and rice is evil... if I don't eat it right I just flat out get hungry in 30 minutes. So a couple hours pass by and time for work coming up, I had to make two sandwiches... no big deal I figured, they must be good for you. After adding up the goods, I was surprised. During the meeting I had a couple Cokes too. If FitDay is accurate, even only somewhat then my intake is still less than my burned calories.

Day 4(2/2/07)
    It's already been 4 days?!?! Now I feel really bad. I am at work... my acid reflux started kicking in like an hour ago.... the only cure is food. I am dead serious... so I just ate a horrible Ultimate Cheeseburger combo. Things would be smoother if I could have had some prepared food.

Good news is that today I am FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD I AM FREE! No moving, no meetings, no bull****! On my way home I am going to pick up some healthy foods, and some emergency foods for cases like today. I am going to boil a bunch of eggs, eat only the whites, and see if I can't find anything else.

I think we need to come up with some foods and drinks that could be like emergency rations. Like my case, sitting here at work... no calls coming in for the past 2 hours... a man gets lonely with his belly grumbling and throat seizing up as acids start to eat it's way through your esophagus.