Combination Modem-Router vs. Separate Units

audsnendsaudsnends western Canada
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I've been using a Linksys Router with a separate modem for a couple of years and I've found my connection was deteriorating. Often unplug from the router directly into the modem so that my pc has the better connection.

Recently upgraded my DSL package which didn't improve the connection whether plugged into the router or the modem only. Is is possible for routers to wear out? and in such a short period of time?

Secondly, the upgrade included a 2WIRE combination modem & router, I've searched for reviews using the combo but unable to locate anything really concrete.

I'm reluctant to change as setting up the Linksys Router in the first place wasn't an easy task (for me that is).

Any opinions or thoughts on this combo would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Check both the router and modem for firmware updates. Also check the latest installation guide from your ISP for modem and router settings. There are number of settings that when wrong, can really slow things down. Sometimes DSL providers will change their transmission protocols, which require new modem firmware and/or router settings without informing their customers. This happened to me recently.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Check both the router and modem for firmware updates. Also check the latest installation guide from your ISP for modem and router settings. There are number of settings that when wrong, can really slow things down. Sometimes DSL providers will change their transmission protocols, which require new modem firmware and/or router settings without informing their customers. This happened to me recently.

Well if he plugs in directly to the modem and that resolves this issue, then it's more likely a cable issue or maybe the router. I think first you should try a complete reset of the router to restore it to factory defaults, maybe a log file is getting big... I dunno, it could help. If a new cable or reseting don't work, then try firmware updates for both the modem and router. After that, I'd try a new router. All this should only take maybe 10 to 20 minutes, minus whatever time it takes to get/find/buy a new ethernet cable.
  • audsnendsaudsnends western Canada
    edited February 2007
    I did a router update last week, tried all new cables tonight, the D-Link DSL 3001 modem appears to be outdated & no upgrades available.

Guess I'll have to try re-setting the existing router or install the new combination modem/router that arrived today.

LOL...10 to 20 minutes maybe for you, any major changes like that inevitably take me a day, as some glitch or problems arises, that I don't understand and which often occurs.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well if you have a modem to router config, generally resetting the router is all it takes no need to change anything if you are wired in as it's normally already setup for DCHP in and out. Which is good because you can find out if maybe it's a setting you put in that caused this issue. Though you said it deteriorated into this so maybe not, just maybe though.
  • audsnendsaudsnends western Canada
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote: »
    Well if he plugs in directly to the modem and that resolves this issue, then it's more likely a cable issue or maybe the router. I think first you should try a complete reset of the router to restore it to factory defaults, maybe a log file is getting big... I dunno, it could help. If a new cable or reseting don't work, then try firmware updates for both the modem and router. After that, I'd try a new router. All this should only take maybe 10 to 20 minutes, minus whatever time it takes to get/find/buy a new ethernet cable.

I didn't try anything further with the existing router. Insofar as the new 2Wire integrated modem/router as it was free from Telus I finally decided to get up the gumption to set it up. Setting aside several hours of my day. (Past experience whenever I've changed hardware with or without help).

Much ado about nothing on my part...in setting up the new modem/router although I could never have set it up without the step by step help of my ISP tech support. Two different ones at that, one tech guy/dept. for the main setup to my wired pc and another tech guy/dept for my wireless laptop. All completed within a half hour with no problems (which I couldn't say for my original modem & router).

It's been almost a week and so far so good :bigggrin: